Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2006 2:33:28 PM EDT

And I don't know a single thing about them.

I carried one while I was deployed, it was pretty comfortable, but it tended to flop around a bit like when leaning over or back.

This would be for an XD Subcompact, I'd like to have the gun on the left side with some sort of support to keep it from moving, I really don't need/want to carry a spare magazine.

We had some officers walking around with some real fancy schmancy leather ones, I never got to ask who made them though.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]

I really don't need/want to carry a spare magazine.

You crazy?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
too big for my gun (beretta 92)

and it's not practical for drawing from under a tshirt
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Easy, Galco Miami Classic.

ETA: You want the extra mags. Again the Miami Classic.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I like to carry the spare inb my pocket, if at all.

I carried a 92 or M9 it was not bad at all.

I always wear a buttoned dress type shirt (it gets the ladies) and under that is a t-shirt.
I was thinking about wearing the holster between the t and the dress shirt, on the left side, that way I unbutton one button and that bitch is ready to go.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I used one in the winter under my duty jacket for sometime.
I wore my required duty rig on my belt but in a car the seat belt made drawing a hassle.
So I would carry another in the shoulder rig under the coat, I could draw it faster in a seated position. We were a rural depart ment so having a extra was a good idea as back up could be twenty minutes or more.
The best I can tell you is to try several and find one you like. And I will tell you that a weak side draw is harder with a shoulder rig.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1

I've got 3 and love 'em.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
too big for my gun (beretta 92)

+1 for tshirt but -10 for too big, a 1911 works well in a shoulder rig. You want big try a 6 inch trouper 357 in a shoulder rig, lucky I am taller and larger then most and could do it. A '92 is a little gun in my hands.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#8]
The Galco is almost identical to what we used, it wasn't that great, it flops around a lot.

The one they had was a strap that went over your left shoulder, then there was another strap that went around the right side of your chest to hold it in place.
There was no strap over your left shoulder.

The other thing that I'm worried about it the fact that the gun would be pointing straight backwards.
I have an XD and I trust it, but mechanical shit fails. I'd rather have one that points at like a 45 degree angle to the ground.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Shoulder holsters are:

Slow
Hot in the summer
Difficult to train with unless you can train alone (most ranges won't allow them because using them breaks 180 and you have to sweep yourself).

They really are only useful for business suit wearers who must button their coats, in which case you want a vertical shoulder holster not a horizontal one like a Miami Classic. If you just want easier access while seated consider a cross-draw rig.

What mode of dress are you planning on and what is motivating you to use a shoulder holster?

aa
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one and stick with a iwb instead.

Max
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
most ranges won't allow them because using them breaks 180 and you have to sweep yourselff

Huh?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Go with the Galco, but not the Miami Classic!
An identical  model is available, but it has wider shoulder straps, spreads the load out much better and does not "dig" into your shoulders.
Believe me, when you carry all day, the wider straps do help reduce fatigue pressure.
I am "stuck" on the 1911 .45, and I can carry a Gold Cup all day, on left side horizontal,and the spare mag holder on the right side balances it out nicely.
Sorry I do not have the p\n for you, but it is like the Miami, but with the wide straps.
Can't belive they made that rig for a t.v. show!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Hahahahaha, I should get the "holster" for my 1911 to replace the spare-mag pouch on my 4506 Miami Classic rig
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried the shoulder holster route at first.   I quickly went to IWB type of holster.   They are way, way, way more practical.   I still use my shoulder holser for driving, but I just open carry when I do that.  

I had a former student, now friend,  who wanted to go the shoulder holster route at first too.   He now carries IWB, and had to admit I was right.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I enjoy taking my jacket off, so IWB is the way to go.

I can't see having a shoulder holster under a dress shirt, buttoned. How the hell do you draw that?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

This would be for an XD Subcompact, I'd like to have the gun on the left side with some sort of support to keep it from moving, I really don't need/want to carry a spare magazine.

That is stupid  
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=27584
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Bingo.  I have one for my Kimber TLE II and one for my S&W Mod. 66 snubby.

They are the best I've ever had-by far.

HH
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, after actually seeing someone open carrying in a shoulder rig, and having the barrel pointed straight back at me, I can tell you that the "safety nazi" in me just didn't feel quite right about it. Never mind that he didn't have his finger on the trigger.

So I'd only feel safe with one that pointed down, but hey ymmv as always..............
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Milt Sparks Summer special IWB.

No shoulder rig for Me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#21]
good for if you are in a car alot!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

And I don't know a single thing about them.

I carried one while I was deployed, it was pretty comfortable, but it tended to flop around a bit like when leaning over or back.

We had some officers walking around with some real fancy schmancy leather ones, I never got to ask who made them though.

Generally shoulder holsters are not the best carry option. If you spend lots of time in a vehicle, they aren't a bad idea. But most are better served with a strong-side IWB holster.

I don't care if you "want" to carry a spare magazine or not.

Carry one anyway.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The one similar to the  Miami Classic but that has the wider shoulder straps  is the most comfortable shoulder holster I have ever tried.

ETA -- The model I use is called the SS2:

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Exactly what I use, and it's comfortable enough that I have no trouble sleeping while wearing it.

EDIT--Go look. They're awesome!

www.usgalco.com/

Crazy links. Trying again.

It won't link to the search page, but that link will take you to their main page.

Click the picture.

Click Online Catalog.

Click Holsters Search by Holster Type.

Click the box by Shoulder Holsters.

Click View Holster Types Selected.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The one similar to the  Miami Classic but that has the wider shoulder straps  is the most comfortable shoulder holster I have ever tried.

ETA -- The model I use is called the SS2:

www.usgalco.com/Catalog/large/SSII.jpg

Nice.

Tag
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a Miami Classic for 1911s and a Jackass Rig for a Beretta 92.

I am slightly partial to the cant of the Jackass Rig.  

If the holster is 'flopping around' then you need to shorten the straps.  It should be kinda snug.

ETA:  Here is a pic of the Jackass Rig and a 92FS.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I really don't need/want to carry a spare magazine.

You crazy?

+1 his funeral
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I use one of these when I'm riding my motorcycle or going to be sitting in a car for long periods.  I got the model that fits my Glock 26 but it also holds my Glock 22 just fine also.  Well made, good price, comfortable and sold by a retailer I trust.

Falco shoulder holster with double mag pouch

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top