Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2006 1:15:27 PM EDT
Yay for me!

I got better scores than I thought I would. After seeing how many doors were closed to me without a Diploma or GED. I finally feel like I can do something with my life. Maybe military Service... Maybe continue my education... man its great to actually have options.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
How old are you? When did you drop out?

I am glad your going to go further than that becasue a lot of people get them and thats just it. They dont continue on with their education.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay in school.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm 22 I got out of school when I was 18

Don't ask about all that wasted time
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations.  I left High School a year early (it would have been two years, but my parents protested) and got my CHSPE.

You should try commmunity college.  I started when I was 17.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]
the military isn't a bad option for you.  do a tour and then you will have some education and experience under your belt to get a good job.

not to be cynical, but unfortunately, these days a HS education won't get you to the top in today's work force.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I would encourage you to go to college whether you go the military route or not.  I got my GED because I declined to go back to HS for 3 credits.  I scored well on it and the ACT.  Went to college for 1 quarter and dropped out.  I have had to work 14 yrs with my current company to get to a General Management position.  I could have fast tracked it with a college degree.  It is a matter of pride to me that I have gone this far without a higher education but if I had it to do over I would spend 4 years getting the degree.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Now is a bad time to enlist.
JMO
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats! This is a big stepping stone. Don't stop now. The .mil or continued academic pursuits both sound like good choices which will open-up even more options with time. And options are a Good Thing[tm]...but I see I'm preaching to choir. Again, congrats!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Dude, I'm the KING of "wasted" time.  I didnt' even start college until I was waaaaay older than you.

Congrats and don't stop now and just work some menial job.  If the military won't take you with a GED (I would hope they would; they did back in my day in the mid 80s) just take the SAT/ACT and go on to college.  You're plenty young enough to fit in quite nicely.  Get all "book learned" up, get an advanced degree, and become all snotty and stuck up like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#11]
while a GED is good, a HSD is better.  There are some places that want a HSD.

While what you did was excellent on your part, I highly recomend that you go back and get a HSD.

my background.. I had departed HS before graduating and joined the Army.  In basic training we were taken on a bus (no explination at the time) next thing we know, we were taking a GED test.
I did very well and didnt think much of it until a position I wanted required an actual HSD.  (a GED was even good enough for college)  But I wanted that job and went back to night school and got my HSD.\

If you can, stay in school and get a degree of some sort NOW.  you can thank me later.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm proud of you - my grandfather completed his GED after building a succesful construction business.  He says a 1000 times over that he wished he would have done it sooner.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
JMO

you post that in every thread where someone asks opinions on enlistment.  WTF
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
JMO

JMO

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep this up and you'll be the assistant manager at Arbys in no time flat.

Sorry, .... couldn't resist.

Congrats on accomplishing a milestone.
Go to your local community college.
Fill out the FAFSA and get it sent off.
That stuff wont cost you anything, you'll find out what sort of aid you qualify for, and have all the bullshit out of the way if you decide to take some classes in the fall.

I assume you weren't much of a student in the first place, so start out light with a couple of classes that interest you.
It takes some time to get into the swing of being a real student and you can't absorb any setbacks in the beginning.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Congratulations!  Look what it did for me...sorry, bad example.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Great job and congratulations!

HH
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
JMO

Try this link for future posting:  www.getlostforever.com

HH
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
JMO

JMO

YMMV

please go away.  you sound like a good candidate for a DU poster.  www.democraticunderground.com (left cold)
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Congratulations.    

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Good on you!  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#22]
+1
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
JMO

JMO

YMMV

Hey, why don't you go fuck yourself, 'kay?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#24]
It's never a bad time to enlist - unless of course the government makes a huge power grab and calls for martial law

War can happen at any time, it's foolish to only consider enlisting during times of peace.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Good job!

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Well, here's your chance to turn it all around.

Go for it!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Now you can join the ARMY/Police
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top