Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/24/2006 1:15:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
what happened to the officer
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw this before, it really sucks for the cop and his family.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the end result? Who died if anyone.

Thats a very scary situation to see unfold. Hope the cop is ok.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
If this is the video i'm thinking of, the officer didn't make it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What is the end result? Who died if anyone.

Thats a very scary situation to see unfold. Hope the cop is ok.

Cop is dead,bad got got shot in his gut and later arrested.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, man...

Far be it from me to second guess a trained LEO but that went on FAR too long...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
OMG. What a scumbag. What did he kill that cop for? Poor guy getting shot.

He actually ran after and executed the cop.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Easy to play Monday Morning Quarterback

He should have closed the gap and never allowed him to get back in the vehicle
Or gotten back in his vehicle and retreated

Waiting to see what he going to retrieve from the Vehicle while armed only with a Handgun was foolish
I'd like to know if he had either a Shotgun or Carbine in his cruiser
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#10]
That was really fucked up.............

That bastard better had been fried by now, or on his way one....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
didnt look good for the cop
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#12]
This was discussed in depth on BoS forum. A member should search and link it if you want the entire story quickly and easily. Dupe is what I'm saying.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#13]
The cop had ample time to throw him to the ground, restrain him, etc. before the vet got the gun. He then had ample time to shoot the man dead. He chose to not take action, and died as a result. It's too bad he had to die, and I hope the vet gets the chair, but the cop played a huge part in his own death.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This was discussed in depth on BoS forum. A member should search and link it if you want the entire story quickly and easily. Dupe is what I'm saying.

Not all of us get to that forum... I don't visit there, anyway.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Oh, man...

Far be it from me to second guess a trained LEO but that went on FAR too long...

Same here, macman.  I'm not LEO, but it did seem like he should have done something as soon as the rifle was seen.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#16]
as soon as he pulled the gun out of the cab,,,,,,,,,,
went way too long but it is hard to say what the officer was thinking and how any one else would react in the same situation. You could see where the bg check the wound on his stomach with his hand while chasing the officer down.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should its a great place to learn something...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Fucking horrible  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yep.  Deputy was polite to a flaw.  even calling the suspect "sir." long after it became violent.

He was shouting unclear commands such as "get back now!" when he should have been telling the suspect to stay away from the vehicle and get on the ground.

Personally i would have shot him as soon as the driver reached behind the seat. easy to justify after the driver's bizarre actions, demands that the cop shoot him, and the initial scuffle.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#20]
http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=15034

Someone make that hot please.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Horrible video. It is terrible and I feel bad for the officer, but your thread title should read,

"Cop lets VN Vet load M1 Carbine and Kill Cop"
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=15034

Someone make that hot please.

www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=15034

it's not hard...... all you need to do is click the link button.  it's the one that's 2 icons to the left of the red underlined A
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I seen this once and don't want to see it again.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should its a great place to learn something...

k... I'll give it a look sometime.

I learn stuff all over the site.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The cop had ample time to throw him to the ground, restrain him, etc. before the vet got the gun. He then had ample time to shoot the man dead. He chose to not take action, and died as a result. It's too bad he had to die, and I hope the vet gets the chair, but the cop played a huge part in his own death.

I had a Prisoner once in the Emergency Psych area
Young kid about 19 maybe 5' 10" 200lbs Handcuffed in front and legs shackled
He went off
Two guys I was with grabbed him and they were asissted bt Three PCA's ( Patient Care Assistant )
Five Guys he's cuffed and shaclked and they couldn't get him down
Finally I reached into the pile grabbed the Chain of the Shackles and pulled
Down he went with Five guys on top

One on One is no way to go
The Officer didn't know if there was a weapon in the truck but he should have attempted to prevent him from going into the truck by using either Pepper Spray or His Baton
Wrestling is no way to go unless there's no choice
I've also seen Pepper Spray Fail

Bottomline A Handgun is no Match against a Longarm
Had he armed himself with a Longarm he might have came out on top
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn, that scream... horrible.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a Prisoner once in the Emergency Psych area
Young kid about 19 maybe 5' 10" 200lbs Handcuffed in front and legs shackled
He went off
Two guys I was with grabbed him and they were asissted bt Three PCA's ( Patient Care Assistant )
Five Guys he's cuffed and shaclked and they couldn't get him down
Finally I reached into the pile grabbed the Chain of the Shackles and pulled
Down he went with Five guys on top

One on One is no way to go
The Officer didn't know if there was a weapon in the truck but he should have attempted to prevent him from going into the truck by using either Pepper Spray or His Baton
Wrestling is no way to go unless there's no choice
I've also seen Pepper Spray Fail

Bottomline A Handgun is no Match against a Longarm
Had he armed himself with a Longarm he might have came out on top

But you can agree that he should have acted, i.e. shooting the man with his psitol, when he saw him grab the rifle, load it, and point it at him, right?

I know, in a situation like that, training goes out the window and you can freeze up. But still, he should have protected himself after the man grabbed the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#29]
"Put the gun down!" twice is more than enough, then lite him up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I wish like hell I hadn't watched that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Clicked on the link expecting to watch a police officer shoot a bad guy and call in backup...

Might add a warning for people not expectig to see a terrified officer screaming for help as a man executes him.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
"Put the gun down!" twice is more than enough, then lite him up.

+1 very disturbing cop should have waxed him after he didn't drop gun. But I've said before it's real easy to play armchair quarterback let's all just hope we never have to go through something like this.

Bad guy didn't seem to be bothered by gunshot wound wonder if he was juiced up on something anyone got the whole story of what this fucksticks deal was?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I wouldnt have rushed the guy while he was at the truck.  I would have probably done similar to Dinkheller (move to cover, verbal commands, and ready to put rounds on the guy). I it came down to it, two commands of "drop the gun" would have been it before rounds started flying. Only reason I say "2" is because of the guy loading the weapon.

This video pretty much chows that LEOs are human like everyone else and have a great reluctance to use lethal force when clearly needed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Here is the written material that is provided with the full training video.

www.lineofduty.com/library/volume_7_program_2.pdf

THE INCIDENT

Deputy Kyle Dinkheller, Laurens County, GA, was minutes from being off duty when he
encountered a speeding pickup truck going 98 mph.  The deputy was an ICE (Interstate
Criminal Enforcement) officer that dealt with traffic infractions, speeding and the occasional
drug bust. This was a low risk or unknown risk stop for speeding.  He radioed in the speeding
infraction, made a U-turn in the median and pursued the vehicle.  

The driver, Andrew Brannan, stopped his vehicle, exited and started a crazy, dancing jig in
the middle of the road while swearing at the officer and shouting ‘I’m a god-damned
Vietnam vet.”   At first, he ignored Dinkheller’s commands to step towards the deputy, which
always began with `Sir’.  

When he finally complied, he attacked the deputy and a scuffle ensued.  The deputy
implemented the use of his asp and ordered Brannan to `get back’.   This procedure was
repeated, but after what appeared to be a second scuffle, the suspect returned to his vehicle
and retrieved a M-I Carbine from under the seat.  The first shots were fired nearly 50 seconds
after Brannan returned to his vehicle despite the deputy’s commands

Brannan ignored the repeated commands to put the gun down and Deputy Dinkheller
apparently fired the first shot.  Brannan, a Vietnam veteran, advanced firing on the deputy.  
Dinkheller returned fire, but succeeded only in breaking a window in the driver’s side of the
pickup and wounding Brannan in the stomach.   Using `suppressive fire’,   Brannan
systematically, methodically shot Dinkheller in the arms, legs, exposed areas that would not
be covered  had Dinkheller been wearing a bulletproof vest, slowly executing him. Reloading
his weapon Brannan continued firing with the final death shot to Dinkheller’s right eye.

EPILOG

Kyle Dinkheller was 22 when he was killed.  He left a wife and an 18 month-old daughter.  
The day he was killed, his wife learned she was pregnant with their second child.  This was
the first murder in the line of duty in Laurens County.

Andrew Brannan fled to property he owned in the area.  Later he was found rolled in a tarp
hidden in some underbrush.  His hiding place was given away by the barking of his dog who
refused to leave Brannan’s side.  Brannan did not resist arrest.  He has never shown any
remorse. He knew he clearly had the advantage. Brannan is now on death row and is
appealing.

This program was not produced to be critical of Deputy Dinkheller.  It was designed to
extract something positive from his death, and hopefully, to help prevent other law
enforcement officers from meeting the same fate.

------------------------------
Has the scumbag been executed yet?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Kyle Dinkheller was 22 when he was killed.  He left a wife and an 18 month-old daughter.  
The day he was killed, his wife learned she was pregnant with their second child.  This was
the first murder in the line of duty in Laurens County.

------------------------------
Has the scumbag been executed yet.

that is MESSED UP.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Already saw it. Painful to watch. No one should die like that.

As soon as I saw the rifle he'd have had a full mag in his ass.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#37]
The Deputy made 2 mistakes that cost him his life. He carried the miserable .40 Slow and Worthless, and he didn't shoot the guy as soon as he saw him retrieve a gun. Bummer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

He was shouting unclear commands such as "get back now!" when he should have been telling the suspect to stay away from the vehicle and get on the ground.

True, but I don't think that Brannan was going to listen to any commands, no matter how clear, that day.
He was looking for a shootout.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#40]
It's my understanding that the Deputy had been disciplined two times prior to this incident for what his puke superiors deemed excessive use of force. I'm sure that's why the Deputy was hesitant to act with the appropriate force this time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Death Sentence affirmed, with factual summary

http://www2.state.ga.us/Courts/Supreme/pdf/s01p1789.pdf

"In addition to the evidence of the murder, which included the videotaped
depiction of Brannan deliberately shooting a wounded, unconscious police
officer, the State presented evidence that Brannan had shot in the direction of his
neighbor during an altercation, and fashioned a crude weapon in jail using a
razor blade. The similar cases listed in the Appendix support the imposition of
the death penalty in this case, in that all involve the murder of a police officer
in the performance of his official duties.
Judgment affirmed. All the Justices concur."

He's on death row: BRANNAN, ANDREW HOWARD go to the Georgia Department of Corrections to see a photo of him.

edited: to remove duped info.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#41]
please mention graphic in the title, or something to let us know the cop doesnt come out on top

My take on the video...  The suspect exhibited all the red flags of being someone needing an application of lethal force.  The iraq war vet in california was shot over a hell of a lot less.  I cant  see myself not shooting at the first sight of a weapon after that behavior, epsecially if I saw that I was about to become very outgunned if the guy got the magazine in.  I suppose since his main job was writing tickets  he may not have been in the mindset or trained thoroughly for the possibility of a situation like this?  If its as bad as some of you guys make it out to be, they train you at the academy and then you shoot a few magazines once a year to re qualify?  Very sad video I didnt watch it through the end.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#42]

22 yo kid in denial that the situation was escalating.  He never had control of the situation.

Truly tragic.

I hope the killer has bad electrode placement one day and fries a bit before unconsciousness.

ETA: The dancing idiot scene would have been the time to taser his sorry @ss.

+1 to hope we/you/I are never in a situation like this.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#43]
<MMQ mode="on">
The officer should have had a tazer and juiced his ass up when the fuckstick jumped in his face.
<MMQ mode="off">

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#44]
This is definitely a time when the officer had more than enough reason to light that bastard up.  He shouldn't have waited that long.

Very disturbing video.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#45]
I hate this video... I hope that SOB gets  the chair.... I think the cops fear of going hands on with the BG is what allowed the situation to escalate.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#46]
As soon as I saw the gun, and he didn't drop it, he would have been shot until he dropped the weapon.  I would have only given him one order to drop it, since he was acting strangly.  Anyhow, that situation sucks no matter how you look at it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Thats the kind of asshole that needs dissecting while conscious. This is why LEO's should always have partners.

RIP
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks to me like a good natured man met up with a real piece of shit and couldn't force himself to use deadly force. Makes me really sad to see a good man and an excellent officer die because he was struggling with the morality of that situation.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#49]
why did the officer never grab a long arm..
preferably a shotty..

thats just crazy...

the second i saw him pulling something out..
i'd either be shooting or pulling out my own longarm..

never bring a pistol to a rifle fight.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I seen this once and don't want to see it again.

Yeah, they showed this video during out yearly legal updates. Sucked big time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top