Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2006 10:34:57 AM EDT
Here's the response I got.  It would appear that certain Walmarts will not be affected.

HH
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your message.

At Wal-Mart, we strive to provide merchandise to meet consumer demand
in a given community.

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. has made a business decision to remove firearms
from approximately 1000 locations within the U.S. beginning March 6,
2006.  This decision is based on diminished customer relevancy and demand
within multiple markets.  

As with all merchandise decisions that we make our decision to remove
guns from Wal-Mart locations is simply based on the lack of customer
demand for firearms in a given community.  We will now be able to utilize
our resources more effectively to provide customers with the
merchandise that they wish to purchase -- and to discontinue merchandise that
they show no interest in.  

Thank you,

Customer Relations
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#1]
/ and ammo      

they taking ammo away from texan's too
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#2]
they pulled guns from the walmart near me, but they claim to have no desire to pull ammo.  that makes sense.  there is no reason to not believe this at face value.  guys on here talk all the time about buying ammo from WM, but i have never heard of someone buying a gun from them.  it's all about supply and demand.  sometimes it's NOT a conspiracy, and maybe not EVERYONE is out to get us....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
...  guys on here talk all the time about buying ammo from WM, but i have never heard of someone buying a gun from them.

I bought a Winchester 94 from them last month.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought an 1100 from Wal-Mart.  It was a good deal, cheaper than the wholesale price for the local gun shops.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#5]
i prefer not to buy guns from them anyway, unless its a shotgun they seem to have good shotguns, but then rest i just always noticed something wrong with them, mostly they all have gritty actions, and just seem to be a product of mass prodiced firearms.

walmart i hope wont pull them cause they do have good deals on firearms , and its a good place to go to but a gun if your not worried about extreme quality

my ammo better stay there damnit
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Most are cheaper because somethings been left off/not as good as. It's just what a lot of the gun manufactureres do to give better pricing to large places like Wal-mart.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...  guys on here talk all the time about buying ammo from WM, but i have never heard of someone buying a gun from them.

I bought a Winchester 94 from them last month.

DK-Prof broke the dam.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I rely on their WWB .223 value pack for plinking survival.

$7.50 for 40 rounds of brass cased good reliable and surprisingly accurate ammo is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone else find this ironic?

According to the liberals, Wal-Mart kills off all the Mom & Pop stores. After this decision, your Mom & Pop hardware stores will still be closing, but your local gun store will still be good. Some of them can even increase prices!

It must piss off the Brady bunch to know local gun stores will be protected from Wal-Mart competition in certain areas.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Still GOT BOTH here.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
/ and ammo      

dude I have 6 wal marts within 10 min of my house, that's alot of guns in a small area and they sell alot but some places don't so they will stop the guns, the ammo still sells too much, no worries.

Oh and to the stock pilers in my are that force me to go to all of these diff wally worlds, stop buying all the fucking ammo, I know 4.27 is cheap for 50rds of umc but I havent gotten there in time to buy it for at least 6months, I do get to get the cheaper 50rds wwb before they sell out and I'm forced to buy the more expensive 100rd nonvalue packs
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats the same response they gave me!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Every stock 10/22 I bought came from WM.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
/ and ammo      

No need for ammo in Texas? I call shenanigans on that.
I haven't been to WalMart in a week or so so I couldn't tell you if they've taken the guns out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I got one of their stainless steel Ruger 10/22 rifles with the walnut stock for $199 from Wally World.  They also have the best price I have found on Beretta 390 shotguns.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought my 835 there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
/ and ammo      

dude I have 6 wal marts within 10 min of my house, that's alot of guns in a small area and they sell alot but some places don't so they will stop the guns, the ammo still sells too much, no worries.

Oh and to the stock pilers in my are that force me to go to all of these diff wally worlds, stop buying all the fucking ammo, I know 4.27 is cheap for 50rds of umc but I havent gotten there in time to buy it for at least 6months, I do get to get the cheaper 50rds wwb before they sell out and I'm forced to buy the more expensive 100rd nonvalue packs

Incredibly, after schleping from WalMart to WalMart for the last several months like you, getting a box here, two there, I dropped by one the day before the price went up here. I usually try to leave one box on the shelf- who says I'm a pig? This time I scooped up all 12. If they'd had any more, I would have gotten them too. Tough sheetski!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Most are cheaper because somethings been left off/not as good as. It's just what a lot of the gun manufactureres do to give better pricing to large places like Wal-mart.

You've been listening to too many gunshop tails. Total BS.

I used to work in Wal-Mart sporting goods for several years.

As much as I hate to see firearms go, we really didn't sell that many considering the cost of keeping up the inventory, paperwork, gun safe in back, etc. I can see where it might not be profitable in some cases.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
guys on here talk all the time about buying ammo from WM, but i have never heard of someone buying a gun from them.  ....

"Because I, Napoleon Tanerite have no personal knowledge of it happening, it must, therefore, not happen."

Riiiiiiight.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe they can use the space to stock ammo.  They never seem to have 9mm, 5.56mm or .40 when I am there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I was just at the wally world on Sardis in Charlotte, and asked the  SG mgr. about it-she said that the top 600 stores will keep firearms (I forgot to ask about ammo sales though), that store in particular loses their firearms come August...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Guns & ammo are a high manpower item. You need to have personal contact to buy both of them. 90% of Wal-Marts goods can be sold and checked out w/o needing a sales associate.

Just makes sense to quit selling them.

And I buy all my 10-22's & 870's at Wal-Mart. I can buy them cheaper there than my FFL can buy thme wholesale.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

BULLSHIT--BULLSHIT--BULLSHIT--BULLSHIT--BULLSHIT------------------
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
/ and ammo      

that's what I thought when I walked out with over a thousand rounds
Incredibly, after schleping from WalMart to WalMart for the last several months like you, getting a box here, two there, I dropped by one the day before the price went up here. I usually try to leave one box on the shelf- who says I'm a pig? This time I scooped up all 12. If they'd had any more, I would have gotten them too. Tough sheetski!

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Another FFL is lost to internet sales and transfers... See you guys wanting your $10 transfers, See what you did, you killed firearm sales at wall mart.. I hope your happy!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#26]
   I bought a 10/22 Rifle , Stainless with the walnut stock. And I bought two Remington 700 in .308. I would have bought one of those new Mossberg AT rifles if they ever had one in 30-06 or .308.  I'm sure it's a good round, but I have no use for a .270.

I've bought a ton of .12 ga, .22 .223 and pistol ammo from them too. I like it because I can launder my ammo purchases along with the cola and food items I buy.  My wife freaks when she sees **ammoman** on the credit card bill, but says nothing about >$200 at wally world.

IIRC, K-Mart started losing their ass after Rosie got  them to quit  selling guns.

Just called my local wally World. they aren't shutting down the Ypsilanti store operation.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I've purchased several guns at wal-mart and they have all performed flawlessly, as well as being a bargain.

I have seen 10/22's cheaper elsewhere though...

ETA:  I might add that this is because Wal-Mart only carried the better grade of 10/22, and not the cheapest carbine version...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Uhm....gun dealers are killing themselves off, not internet gun sales.  I want a $10 transfer fee....sure.  Would I rather buy that same gun from a dealer for about the same price as the internet?  Hell yea.  Would I pay $20 more to buy from the dealer vs. the internet, hell yea.  Would I pay $1-200 more, HELL NO.  

Maybe it's time for the gun dealers to smell the roses and sell their stuff cheaper if they want to compete with the internet, instead of trying to justify the gouging that they are inflicting upon the public.  

ALSO..the internet is a very large arena in which to find a firearm that your gun dealer may or may not ever have (at an inflated price).  This is where the internet comes into it's own.  Being able to find about anything you want (legal) quickly and without having to go somewhere, listen to the gun shop BS, listen to their grumbles when you just want to look, listen to salespeople that know shit about the guns that they are selling, and pay too much for it.  

I go to one local gun shop before I go anywhere else.  I get good deals from him.  Not outstanding, but they are fair prices.  $550 for a glock 17 is too much, when the average is about $480-$500.  Can I spare $50, yes.  Would I rather have 2 more magazines, YES.  As I said, if gun dealers would quit whining about it and just deal with it by competeing with the internet, instead of ignoring/complaining about it to go away they might just take a bite out of the "net's selling power.

While I am at it.  I've never bought a gun from walmart (they don't stock what I like to buy).  I do buy ammo from them, when they have some.  For some reason, I can't find the damn 40 round 55gr value pack to save my life.  Some asshat buys all of it

Will I be sad to see walmart's gun sales go away....yep.  Will it really affect my gun buying?  No.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I got one of their stainless steel Ruger 10/22 rifles with the walnut stock for $199 from Wally World.  They also have the best price I have found on Beretta 390 shotguns.

Academy Sports and Outdoors sells the same Beretta 390 for $30 less in my area (WM $529, Academy $499)--when they have them in stock.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Dang, the wal-mart near me just upgraded the gun section to a 20-ft long wood & glass showcase type deal behind the sporting goods counter. Its a big improvement over the 1 or 2 turn-table display that they use to have. They even reorganized the ammo display so now you can see all the the ammo they have available. Its almost like a mini gun store, no pistols though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I was just at Wally World here and they still have their case full of gunz. I asked the clerk and told her they were taking them out of 1000 stores. It was the first she had heard about it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I've purchased several guns at wal-mart and they have all performed flawlessly, as well as being a bargain.

I have seen 10/22's cheaper elsewhere though...

ETA:  I might add that this is because Wal-Mart only carried the better grade of 10/22, and not the cheapest carbine version...

The walmart in Bellevue, NE has the carbine version.  I just saw it there last week.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Never bought a gun or ammo from WM. Never will.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Trust me the guns are the same quality as at a mom & pop.  Why would any manufacturer trash their name by making junk with their name on it to sell at walmart.  Walmart buys such large bulk quantities they can get them cheap.  They usually sell them at or a little below what the mom & pops pay for them at whole sale.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#35]
The whole tone of that response letter sounds like it was written by a gloating antigunner,  just barely able to contain their personal beliefs, but having a nice, satisfying psychological orgasm when they pressed the enter key to send the response your way.

I'm buying WWB there while I can, but I think they're going to be going the way K-mart has gone in a couple more years.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I received the same email back RE the gun question.  Haven't received anything back about the self-checkout question I sent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top