Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2006 6:00:52 AM EDT
I want to buy a vise for my workbench. It will mainly be used to hold guns and gun parts in-place while I clean or work on them. It will also be used occationaly for light-duty non-gun related stuff. What's a good vise set-up to cover this. Thanks for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I am a big fan of harbor freight and northern tool for things like this.
i would go 5"-6" jaws and a "360" design...  like this.

no need to spend a lot of money.  but i would spend the green to buy proper size nuts and bolts and secure it to the table as well as you can.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:06:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:08:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

no need to spend a lot of money.  but i would spend the green to buy proper size nuts and bolts and secure it to the table as well as you can.

What do you put in the vise jaws to keep from damaging/scratching guns/parts? Do they make a special set of jaws to attach to the vise, made specially for working on guns?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#4]
a good vice will have steel jaws that are drilled and tapped to take extra jaws.
you can make "soft" jaws out of just about anything brass, nylon, rubber, wood etc.  for working on an AR i have an old magazine that i clamp in the vice and just lock the lower on the mag.  for remington 700s and other rifles to glass bed you can use shop rags,  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you put in the vise jaws to keep from damaging/scratching guns/parts? Do they make a special set of jaws to attach to the vise, made specially for working on guns?

You replace the jaws with blocks of aluminum that have been drilled and countersunk for mounting bolts. Then you get a chunk of 1/2 thick leather about 13" long to wrap around the part..
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#6]
When it comes to vises, I'm big on getting the largest strongest one I can, and mounting it in as strong a manner as possible. That doesn't necessarily mean expensive, just big and strong. A super strong vise is absolutely mandatory if you're fabricating metal or working on cars, and it also helps for things like rebarrelling guns (especially FALs).

As for what to use on the jaws, you can get jaw pads or make your own out of a suitable material. For gun stuff, I haven't found anything that beats a nice thick piece of good old leather.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:20:28 AM EDT
[#7]
You may get better/more informative responses on the gunsmithing forums...that said, a woodworking vise (big wooden jaws) and/or a small Panavise with different sets of replaceable jaws would surely fill the need and be useful for other purposes as well.

You can also get a good (can't over-emphasize the value of sticking to high-quality here) machinist's vise with several different jaw inserts (aluminum, nylon, etc.) that would serve nicely.

Bryan
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I found this vise. Notice the adjustable support arm that sticks out about 20". It also has cork covered jaws. Kinda pricey, but it'll last a lifetime.

Link

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you have Costco down there?  They have a nice vise right now for a pretty good price.  If I didn't already have two I would have jumped on it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a Parrot vice and tilting jaws at Grizzly Tool -
www.grizzly.com/products/H3302
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I found this vise. Notice the adjustable support arm that sticks out about 20". It also has cork covered jaws. Kinda pricey, but it'll last a lifetime.

Link

Looks like toast
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought this one from Grizzly for my gun workbench.  It's the sort of design that allows you to swivel the vise around until you tighten the jaws, then the axis tightens up with the jaws.  

Of course I have a huge vise downstairs in my shop that I use for the jobs that need a really beefy vise.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top