Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/23/2006 8:39:59 PM EDT
I went into the Burlington Coat Factory near my house last night, and it was busy - selling clothes to Mexicans. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, was Hispanic. I kind of felt like I was not in America any more. This bothers me somewhat, only in the sense that I have a perception that many of these people don't see themselves as citizens, but as a community within a community, and are not inclined to integrate with the native people here in language or culture.

Anybody have any idea what the illegal immigration population is here in the U.S.? I have heard numbers ranging from 11 million to 30 million. What's the real number like? Admittedly, I live in a part of town where the population of foriegn nationals is far higher than anywhere else, so perhaps my perception is skewed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#1]
i'd bet much closer to 30 million.

and you're right.  used to be that people would come here to be americans.  now they come here to be whatever nationality they came from IN america.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I went into the Burlington Coat Factory near my house last night, and it was busy - selling clothes to Mexicans. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, was Hispanic. I kind of felt like I was not in America any more. This bothers me somewhat, only in the sense that I have a perception that many of these people don't see themselves as citizens, but as a community within a community, and are not inclined to integrate with the native people here in language or culture.

You just described Central NJ and the way I feel most of the time when I go out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Pueblo?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Que?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah i was at a burlington coat factory here in MN a few years back... it was definatly catering to the Mexicani's
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
yeah i was at a burlington coat factory here in MN a few years back... it was definatly catering to the Mexicani's

white snakeskin boots and vinyl cowboy hats?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Que?

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I went into the Burlington Coat Factory near my house last night, and it was busy - selling clothes to Mexicans. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, was Hispanic.

... So the fuck what motherfucker!

... I'm Mexican, I shop there - you got a problem with that?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#9]
most of your larger metropolis cities will have a higher imigrant population....get used to it, it's now the status quo, controled immigration ended 20 years ago.

if you want white, go to norway or iceland.losts of snow there.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Pueblo?

Aurora.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I went into the Burlington Coat Factory near my house last night, and it was busy - selling clothes to Mexicans. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, was Hispanic.

as long as you came to the country legally, I doubt anyone would have a problem with that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yawnnn. <waking up>

Somebody say something?

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

How sad, and the language, if I understand it, is attrocious.  Oh, yes, he meant to say, "So what?"  This is definitely the least intelligent thing I've ever read from Winston Wolf.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:27:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

" I have a perception that many of these people don't see themselves as citizens "

... But many of us do see ourselves as citizens - and we serve our Country, pay our taxes and hoist the American flag every morning at dawn.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

" I have a perception that many of these people don't see themselves as citizens "

... But many of us do see ourselves as citizens - and we serve our Country, pay our taxes and hoist the American flag every morning at dawn.

And I'm just fine with that. It's the people of ANY foreign nationality that come here and don't have any interest in trying to fit in that I have a problem with.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:32:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Iron Maiden       Stranger In A Strange Land

Eddie don't like you!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I believe that is a SIG in Eddie’s holster.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:38:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How sad, and the language, if I understand it, is attrocious.  Oh, yes, he meant to say, "So what?"  This is definitely the least intelligent thing I've ever read from Winston Wolf.

No, "the fuck" is an interjection; it can go anywhere.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Racist

Learn to speak Spanish and maybe you won't feel that way
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Anybody have any idea what the illegal immigration population is here in the U.S.? I have heard numbers ranging from 11 million to 30 million. What's the real number like? Admittedly, I live in a part of town where the population of foriegn nationals is far higher than anywhere else, so perhaps my perception is skewed.

Don't ever come to South Florida  Little Havana  then.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:46:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Que verguenza que tu dices este tipo de basura!  No pienses tu en que los huerrinches van a pensar a todos de los hispanos despues de estes palabras?

( a call to shame regarding the manner in which such words will incline white folks to think about all Hispanics after such language)
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:47:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Samsong, while I certainly understand where you're coming from, I'd take the time to ponder Winston_Wolf's feelings on the matter. He is - by all accounts - as American and patriotic as they come, and yet he could have been one of the folks you saw at a Burlington Coat Factory who you feel has resisted assimilation.

Ease up, man. In my neck of the woods, when I go downtown, all I see are white people. Pure Americana in the classic sense. I have no doubt that there are violent felons, rapists, and child molesters in the bunch. The problem is, I can't really tell. I suppose I could single out the white guys with shaved heads, tatoos and piercings, but then I'd be describing Dusty_C, who is also a fine American.

Just buy a coat at a fair price, and be happy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Colorado is full of illegal's as they are part of the underground railroad moving them across America.

We were at the ICE office getting the wife's green card renued (she is Canadian) and we were the only non hispanic people there & they had quite a parade of hispanics.

The federal ICE jail in Colorado is full, has been full and they have to turn away illegals as they don't have room for more.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#25]
It's tough not to "stereotype" people for sure, but as Winston_Wolf said, there are many immigrants who are very proud of this country and would happily pick up arms against their native land in defense of the US.  The problem I think is that the number of immigrants who would gladly tell the US to go fuck itself if they were asked to defend it (particularly against their native land) is increasing at a mind-boggling rate.  These are the people who migrate here (legally or not) and refuse to learn the language (and I realize that the US has no "official language", but here in the Metro DC area, english prevails), and  thus they choose to isolate themselves into their own "little Mexico" (or insert country name of choice).  Then they have the balls to get pissed off when you can't speak spanish (or language X) to communicate with them.  For those of us whose ancestory goes back to the foundations of this country, it's hard not to feel like "they have an obligation to conform to my ways".  It's human nature, and to an extent, I don't think it's unreasonable.  It doesn't mean you have to abandon your culture, it  means you need to expand it to include your current environment.  That means learn english, etc.  Not too much to ask I don't think, but in this day and age of "don't hurt anyones feelings", it sure is un-PC to say it out loud.  Frustrating for sure.

And FWIW, I'm about as "arian" as they get....6'4, blonde hair, blue eyes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I think I know how the Native Americans felt...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:56:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Actually, I've got a problem with you're childish and immature response to this thread.

If you have a green card legally obtained then great, if not we have more problems with you.

Want to contune this childish rant of you're or can we discuss it like mature adults without resorting to using words that make you appear to be nothing more than a un edjumacated wetback with access to a public libary computer.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus Christ!

OK everybody, Winston Wolf is patriotic so that means all illegal aliens are actually good guys, and their invasion should simply just be over looked, you know because Winston Wolf says so. So don't anybody ever complain about the illegal invasion because Winston Wolf pays taxes and is patriotic.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I love Texas.

Love it. Will I love it in 15 years?

I hope I never have to move.

I am hispanic and won't hesitate to move away from Texas and its influx of low income hispanic immigrants. They have no work ethic, no pride in THIS country, no motivation for anything whatsoever.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I disagree.  I am white in TX.  And I see the guys in a parking lot, watiting to be picked up for work.  I know it's illegal, and they are as well.  But not having a work ethic is what I disagree with.

Some of these guys work their asses off.  Those are the ones I would grant immunity to, issue a tax number, and let them pay their way.

The ones who are on welfare, they can go, and I don't care what their skin color is.

Welfare should be a 12 month thing.  every 6 or so years, you could get up to 12 months of welfare.

Let these mofo's start going hungry, and they'll get a damn job.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus Christ! jobrelatedstuff.com/images/smilies/anim_rolleyes.gif

OK everybody, Winston Wolf is patriotic so that means all illegal aliens are actually good guys, and their invasion should simply just be over looked, you know because Winston Wolf says so. So don't anybody ever complain about the illegal invasion because Winston Wolf pays taxes and is patriotic.

Illegal immigration is a serious problem, without a doubt.

I draw the line at assuming that a store full of hispanics are a bunch of non-assimilating illegals. For crying out loud, why do you guys insist on bringing race into everything? What does the racial makeup of a Burlington Coat Factory in Colorado have to do with anything? How is this evidence of an illegal invasion?

If I walk into my local Wal Mart, I see nothing but white people. What's this evidence of, out of curiosity?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus Christ! jobrelatedstuff.com/images/smilies/anim_rolleyes.gif

Illegal immigration is a serious problem, without a doubt.

I draw the line at assuming that a store full of hispanics are a bunch of non-assimilating illegals. For crying out loud, why do you guys insist on bringing race into everything? What does the racial makeup of a Burlington Coat Factory in Colorado have to do with anything? How is this evidence of an illegal invasion?

If I walk into my local Wal Mart, I see nothing but white people. What's this evidence of, out of curiosity?

White Trash with no self respect for themselves or the country.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
most of your larger metropolis cities will have a higher imigrant population....get used to it, it's now the status quo, controled immigration ended 20 years ago.

More like 40 years ago.  My impression is the Mexican economy tanked for good about 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

History would suggest that the Hispanic population in this country will not be getting a break until two things happen:

1) They integrate completely over one or two generations.

2) Another wave of immigrants from another geographical area provide a new target for xenophobia, racism, and cultural bias.

On the upside Fellow Winston, once #2 happens, historically the outgoing scapegoats will be first in line to kick the new guys.. Sort of an unspoken sociological "Hey that sucked, let's do it to someone else".  It's a hell of a team building excercise really.

ETA- in defense of the term "Hispanic", I understand that a majority of those described as such are not in fact from the island of Hispaniola, and thus the term is inaccurate.  I don't care.  The term used for white beigeish-pink bastards like me is "caucasian" and I damn sure am not from "Caucasia".  When Mexicans refer to me as a "Melanin-challenged American of Anglo-Bavarian Heritage" I'll start giving a damn as to the Inoffensive Descriptor Of the Week.  Until that point, us caucasians and us hispanics will all have to be inconsiderate racist bastards together.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Beaner.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

a un edjumacated wetback with access to a public libary (sic) computer.

... Did you have to get your wife to compose this response?

... Real world here dude. You don't like it, go back to your fantasy, comfortable, TV-land world.
This place isn't for the weak.

Quoted:

... WTF is this psycho-babble nonsense man? It's pretty much par for the course for your diatribes on ARFCOM.

... Not only is illegal immigration unlawful, it's a disgrace to those that stood in line, and complied with the requirements to become lawful citizens.

... What I'm upset with is the blatant racism in the post - which by the way, you come across as the site's number-one 88. There's just as many worthless, white-trash Americans draining the economy as there are illegal aliens. Better take a good look in a mirror son.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/dooobious/StrangerinaStrangeLandlrg.jpg
Eddie don't like you!

1.  Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women

2. i had that album on vinyl!

3. yes i would hit the green chick to eddie's left.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<-Slur removed->

What's that all about? I can't belive this shit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I understand why it makes you uncomfortable.  It really does make it feel like you're all alone, as if you're becoming a minority.  I know the feeling well.  It's a mistake to let your race define you and who you are, but people have a social desire to hang with people who are like them.  We're all that way.  

I do agree that we need to go further in Americanizing immigrants before they're granted citizenship.  The language barrier bothers me the most.  We're letting people in the country who don't have the basic skills to survive.  One of those basic skills is the ability to speak, read and write in passable English.  It's not fair to the immigrants or to the natural-born citizens and the language barrier hurts both equally and puts a strain on personal/professional interactions.  

It's very hard to discuss things with people who don't understand what you're saying, and vice-versa.  I really think we should go ahead and declare English our official language.  Every other country has official languages, but we don't because we don't want to "offend" anybody, wtf over.  

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I think I know how the Native Americans felt...

+87
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

White Trash with no self respect for themselves or the country.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eddie don't like you!

1.  Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women

2. i had that album on vinyl!

3. yes i would hit the green chick to eddie's left.

LMAO, Maiden rocks ETA: as far as the race issue goes...Read and Heed
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Oh, no! You mean the Mexicans are shopping at the same stores Whites shop at?

This is preposterous!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Eddie don't like you!

I saw that concert in Battle Creek MI when I was younger.

IBTL

Goshen has become the little Mexico of Indiana.

The gang wars are rolling.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya know it's strange. I could hang out with you all day long and would love to have you for a neighbor...but at the same time I know EXACTLY what samsong is talking about.

The only conclusion I can come up with is the issue isn't exclusively Mexicans/Hispanics.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
... Not only is illegal immigration unlawful, it's a disgrace to those that stood in line, and complied with the requirements to become lawful citizens.

Ignoring the original poster's intent (at least for now) this is my big problem with amnesty.  Some people worked their asses off to come to this country legally.  Some of my ancestors came as indentured Irish servants, slaves in everything but name, it took them decades to become citizens.  Even today it's not that easy to become a US citizen if you go through the proper steps.  It seems to me like it belittles everyone that did it legally to give the ones here illegally amnesty.  And it will, once and for all, prove that crime does pay.

Also, it would behoove those of us that are against illegal immigration but are pro legal immigration, to be very careful to draw a hard and distinct line with Americans of Mexican descent, Mexicans who are naturlized American citizens, and Mexican citizens in the country legally one one side and illegal Mexican immigrants, i.e. law breakers, on the other side.  

On one side of that line are friends and on the other side are criminals.  Let's not alienate our friends in the process of proper immigration and border control.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a un edjumacated wetback with access to a public libary (sic) computer.

... Did you have to get your wife to compose this response?

... Real world here dude. You don't like it, go back to your fantasy, comfortable, TV-land world.
This place isn't for the weak.

www.jsp.org/i/2005/07/teen-partying.gif

Quoted:

... WTF is this psycho-babble nonsense man? It's pretty much par for the course for your diatribes on ARFCOM.

... What I'm upset with is the blatant racism in the post - which by the way, you come across as the site's number-one 88. There's just as many worthless, white-trash Americans draining the economy as there are illegal aliens. Better take a good look in a mirror son.

If having the most staunch anti illegal invasion view on this site makes me the sites #1 88, I'll take that as a compliment.

BTW, I didn't detect "blatant racism" in the original posters post...you may just looking for things to call racism, that's a real common occurance these days.

Don't have the slightest idea why I'd need to look in the mirror.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#48]
**subnetmaskWell put**
There are alot of mexicans, but I tend to really draw the line when they cant speek engrish...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

89Grand, if you can't see the racism in that post you need to get your eyes checked.

He sees Hispanics in the store, suddenly they must all be illegals!

I'm not even Mexican and I get offended that this cabron acts like the world is ending. Like somebody else put it, I see plenty of whites that arent doing shit. At least the beaners I know are busting their ass for a living doing the shittiest jobs for a bare minimun profit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Well I assumed he had figured them to be illegal aliens by the normal warning signs such as not knowing english among other factors, but if he was complaining simply because there were hispanics, assumed American citizens, then yeah that's pretty lame.

I bitch about illegals all the time, and when I'm doing it, I'm bitching about illegal aliens exclusively not hispanic Americans. Just assuming the orginal poster was doing the same thing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top