Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 8:31:25 PM EDT
How difficult is it to replace the oil pan on a car?

You just drain the oil, jack her up, pull the bolts on the old oil pan, put the gasket on the new oil pan, bolt the new one up, fill her with oil and away you go right?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How difficult is it to replace the oil pan on a car?

You just drain the oil, jack her up, pull the bolts on the old oil pan, put the gasket on the new oil pan, bolt the new one up, fill her with oil and away you go right?

Depends entirely on the vehicle, FWD, 2WD, 4WD?  If its 2wd front engine, longitudinally mounted, it should be pretty easy.  You may have to disconnect the engine mounts and jack it up to gain enough clearance though.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, that easy.
If it weren't for the crossmembers, suspension and everything else that'll be in the road.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the car, some engines you have to pull off the front engine cover (along with all the drive belts, water pump, etc, etc) to get the pan to come loose.  Some oil pans won't come completely off unless you lift the engine or pull crossmembers or steering gear out of the way.  Some FWD cars have axles running through tunnels in the oil pan.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
OK...next question. How much would a venture like that cost then? General figure. $500? $1,000? More?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK...next question. How much would a venture like that cost then? General figure. $500? $1,000? More?

Tell us what car it is first.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

For a rebuild maybe.  Engine Rebuild.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

79 Lincoln...the old oil plug was leaking a little, so my Dad and I put a new oversized plug in it. Well, we tried to. My dad got a little over zealous with the ratchet on the self tapping oversized plug and it looks like he completely stripped the threads out of the oil pan.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

79 Lincoln...the old oil plug was leaking a little, so my Dad and I put a new oversized plug in it. Well, we tried to. My dad got a little over zealous with the ratchet on the self tapping oversized plug and it looks like he completely stripped the threads out of the oil pan.

Longitudinally mounted V8, rear wheel drive?  Should be pretty dang easy then, I wouldn't pay more than $1-200 bucks to have it done, but then, I would do it my dang self.    Just get some jackstands, a wood block or two, and a floor jack, should be easy enough even if you have to disconnect the engine mounts and jack it up a little (watch the radiator shroud though).  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top