Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 7:41:17 PM EDT
They were going to take off on Vanentines day too, I think they just want to take days off

Hispanics Urged to Refrain from Shopping, Work Tomorrow
Associated Press
www.firstcoastnews.com/news/politics/georgia/news-article.aspx?storyid=54339
ATLANTA (AP) -- Hispanics are being urged to refrain from shopping tomorrow and to stay home from work if possible to show their objections to a sweeping proposal to crack down on illegal immigration in Georgia.

Despite that, representatives of six poultry processing plants in the Gainesville area say they do not plan to close in anticipation of a shortage of workers.

Tom Hensley is vice president and chief financial officer for Fieldale Farms. He says all three of the company's plants in the Gainesville area plan to remain open.

Radio station Que Buena FM in Gainesville has been broadcasting details of the request that Hispanics refrain from spending money tomorrow in Hall County.

The bill is sponsored by state Senator Chip Rogers. It denies state services to adults living in the state illegally. It sanctions companies that knowingly employ undocumented workers, and also imposes stiff penalties on human trafficking. headed for a vote in the House tomorrow.

The bill then would have to be approved by the Senate, which has already passed a version by a 40-to-13 vote. Rogers says he fears the controversy over the bill could affect his family's safety.

This week, the weekly Mundo Hispanico newspaper displayed a map of Rogers' Woodstock neighborhood, detailing the nearby Hispanic-owned businesses in an attempt to portray how the area would be affected by his legislation. Rogers says the map could put his wife and four children at risk.

The editor of the Spanish-language newspaper -- Juan Arango -- defended his decision to run the story. He says the map only gives readers a general idea of where Rogers lives -- not a street name or address.
(With help from WDUN, Ken Stanford, and Georgia Public Broadcasting, Susanna Capelouto).
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
refrain from work?  how is that different from every other day?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
What? Are you kidding? They are the BEST workers, the only job they WON'T do is fix their own country
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]
ya right! you've clearly never worked construction.  

evidently not only do they illegally come here, they bring their siesta with them
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

evidently not only do they illegally come here, they bring their siesta with them

It was a joke, and I have worked construction, I know about their work habits and their "after work income enhancement"
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
refrain from work?  how is that different from every other day?

Quoted:

That or they stand on the roof and smoke weed all day and expect to be paid for a full day. Lazy, stoned bastards!!! I saw a roofing sub-contractor not only not pay 'em but not give them a ride out of there. Just left their asses. I don't know how they got home, fuck 'em I'm not giving them a ride!

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, THIS hispanic is going to work tomorrow, so vallanse para el carajo, comemierdas!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They were going to take off on Vanentines day too, I think they just want to take days off

Hispanics Urged to Refrain from Shopping, Work Tomorrow
Associated Press
www.firstcoastnews.com/news/politics/georgia/news-article.aspx?storyid=54339
ATLANTA (AP) -- Hispanics are being urged to refrain from shopping tomorrow and to stay home from work if possible to show their objections to a sweeping proposal to crack down on illegal immigration in Georgia.

What does being Hispanic have to do with being a law-breaker???

How can law-abiding Hispanics not be utterly disgusted with being automatically associated - BY THEIR OWN "LEADERS" - with law-breakers!?

It makes absolutely NO sense for Hispanics to be upset at attempts to increase the punishment against ILLEGAL immigrants of ALL races and nationalities.

That'd be like LAWFUL firearm-owners getting angry if we increased the punishment for using a firearm in a carjacking or bank robbery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top