Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 6:24:15 PM EDT
My wife teaches high school English.

She was grading a paper from her English I class over To Kill A Mocking bird, and busted out laughing.

It seems that a girl wrote in her paper that "The Commandments say that everyone has a right to a fair trial".

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#1]
High school.
Marvelous.

ETA:  Read my sigline.  So appropriate.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I hated high school english...actually, I hated high school.

I failed English 2 one semester because I refused to read "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings", a shitty book written by Maya Angelou.  My teacher loved Bill Clinton and was a crazy old bastard who acted like he was black (he was really into jazz).  He showed us pictures of the anti-war protests he went to.   I also failed English 1 for not forcing myself to read a shitty book.  The sad thing is, many of the book we read in high school were ones I read on my own in elementary school!  

We also read "Raisin in the Sun" (I believe that's what it was called).  That's another shitty book.  Also, we read "Nigger", which wasn't bad but I did have to force myself to read that one.  

Almost all the books were about black history, which my teacher was obsessed with.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is an autobiographical journey through the early years of the life of the author Maya Angelou.

It is an exploration of isolation and loneliness faced by Marguerite Angelou, and the attributes she has in her character that helped her to cope against the prejudices of society.

This book is about the very graphic life of Maya Angelou, involving her rape, growing up, and her travels through racism and sexism.

So, I left High School a year early and took English 101A and 101B.  Easy, got an A and a B, we read classic literature (at least in 101b, 101a is was just stupid).  I find that not having to deal with idiots in the class makes all the difference.  In High School English, some black guy on the basketball team would not shut up during tests, and would always ask me and others for answers, or copy an entire essay.  It was hilarious when he got caught and both people failed the essay!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Her biblical knowledge is lacking.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe that commandment was one of the five that Moses accidentally dropped and broke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top