Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 5:17:25 PM EDT
My kid is USCG stationed in FL.  Was wondering if military ID is OK if he wanted to buy a handgun in that state.  He still has an OH DL.  

Would appreciate comment from you dealers out there.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
i've used my GCID for a gun purchase before, but you still need something with an address on it
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Just bring in three months worth of Utility bills with the same addy and your name and you should be OK
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
He will need his orders assigning him to the state.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on Orders.

Edit - Never heard of bringing in three utility statements.  Not saying that its inaccurate, but I've never had that to be a requirement, and I've bought guns in three states.

Also, for purposes of firearm purchases, military orders to a state (and they might have to be PCS, not sure) fulfill residency requirements.

Some people might not have utility statements with their name on it.  (live on base, have a roommate, live off base but landlord pays bills, etc)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He will need his orders assigning him to the state.

+1 As long as he has his orders to a unit there and two IDs he should be good to go.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Official answer: No. You can not, under penalty under the UCMJ, use your military ID, the DD Form 2, for anything other than official business, i.e. entry onto a controlled facility, etc.

Real world answer: Most of us use it for lots of stuff, especially when our home ID differs from our current location. He can flash the Military ID to show that there is a reason his ID is out of state, but he should take a copy of orders or 3 months of utility bills to prove residency. A lot of states consider 90-180 days of constant residency a resident of the state, regardless of what ID you carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top