Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 4:09:00 PM EDT
Just got my shipping orders today, Basic Training at Fort Sill. Whats it like?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Will start to get warm soon.  It gets quite freaking humid in the summer.  We were there in September doing Land Nav and it came pretty close to kicking my ass.  Course, when you're doing land nav in mountains, that will do it.

We were there a month, ate at the same chow hall as the AIT's.  Compared to Infantry BT/AIT/OSUT, it was freaking easy/relaxed.  You could actually talk in the chowhall.  All of us were like , what the hell kinda BT is this?

I dont know if you'll ever see the Main PX or not.  It's not bad.  There's a bowling alley, pretty nice gym.....Then, on the West side of the base, there's a sports bar and grille....doubt you'll see any of this though.

Got some pretty nice scenery.  The ranges are in the hills/mtns.

Good luck.  When ya ship out?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
  FA 13B   A3/321 summer of 87      Hot, dry, and windy   last of the rotation thru the WWII barracks.  all in all I loved it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
When you get a break be sure to spend some time on Mount Scott. Beautiful views and a lot of fun to climb down. Don't try climbing up. BTDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Be sure to drink lots of water.  Say hi to the 95th Drill Sergeants you'll see at Reception and downrange for me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You will learn to low crawl with holes in your elbows and knees.

I dont know if the impact ranges are still downrange from the BRM ranges, but it's kinda nice to watch HE going off in the distance while shooting.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#6]
slight hijack

How many locations does the Army have for basic training?  What are they?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
slight hijack

Five, Fort Benning, Fort Sill, Fort Knox, Fort Jackson, and Fort Leonard Wood.

I went to Sill when it was still all male, A 1/19FA, I hope it hasn't gotten totally sissyfied since it went coed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
slight hijack

Fort Jackson, SC  most of the rest of the MOS' that aren't directly combat arms
Ft. Benning, GA     Infantry arms OSUT
Ft. Knox, KY (though I've been told that the armor school is moving - not sure if that's right)  armor OSUT
Ft. Sill, OK  artillery OSUT

These are the only ones that immediately come to mind

ETA: Forgot about Ft. Leonard Wood that RRTX mentions
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm just south of Ft. Sill at Sheppard AFB. If you're leaving soon, it should be ok for a while as far as the weather is concerned. Starts to get, *ahem*, warm around May and June. Hot comes in July through September.

Mt. Scott is definitely nice, as are the entire Wichita Mountain area.

I've never actually been on the Fort (AF guy here, what do I need with an Army base?), but the local town, Lawton, has decent ammenities for being on the small-to-medium size.

Good luck at basic, and thanks for enlisting!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Im shipping out June 14 after Spring Quarter is over. My MOS is 88M. I tested color blind so they stuck me in a unit that was fairly close and had jobs that were red/green qualified. So is it rugged terrain like Mountains or is it mainly flat, open areas? But yeah I picked something that I thought would be cool, like driving big trucks and such.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#11]
D 1/31 in 1996, Ft. Sill is flat, dry and crappy.  You will "cross the tracks," and as my Drill Sergeant said "say goodbye to lala land."  Other than that, its fun.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool, thanks guys!

Good luck CrimsonTide!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Geronimo is buried at Fort Sill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top