Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 2:24:27 PM EDT
Today I was doing some logging reperation work with the members of one of my logging crews when the topic of my gun habit was somehow started.  One of the guys on the crew just went and blurted out "I don't need 30rds from a machinegun to hit something, I can hit groundhogs from 700 yards away with my .22-250"  This was my reaction ------>  He says "What your not impressed?"  I said "I just don't believe you.  You might think you can but there isn't many places around here where you can shoot 700 yards and my AR isn't a precision rifle anyway, it is a defensive carbine."  

He goes "Hey Junior, how far was that deer I killed last year?"  Junior comes up and starts saying how Billy (the bragard) saw this monster buck 500 yards from off a road so he stopped his truck in the middle of the road pulled out the .22-250 and dropped a 240# 10 point buck in his tracts (This smells of   )
I said ok if you can do all of those things then you shouldn't have a problem hitting one of those 4 crows there on the other side of the field.  So he goes to his truck and pulls out this half-rusted Ruger .22-250 M77 with a Tasco 6-18X scope on it.  Before he shoots I pulled out a pair of my binoculars and told him he had to call which bird he was going to shoot.  Well he calls bird on the right.  He shoots and I saw the bullet impact about a foot high.

I said "You shot high, so how far do you think the bird was?"  Billy replies "Oh 375" and Junior chimes in "It has got to be near 400).  So I turn on my GPS to measure it and it ends up being only 230.  Billy says "Well you have to remember I was shooting up hill so you still have to aim higher" I told him that wasn't the way it worked.  So I offered him a little redemption.  I measured out 100 yards and put a can of spray paint down and walked back and told Billy that if he could hit the can in one try that I would buy him lunch.  He shoots and misses it about 4 inches to the left.  I pulled my AR out flipped up the BUIS and hit it on the first try.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Ain't it grand when know-it alls get owned.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice work. I love it when braggarts are called on thier bullshit.

For the record, is this "shoot the spray paint can at 100" an open challenge?
I need to figure out what I'm doing for lunch tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell, I can shoot sub MOA groups at a dead run!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I really didn't expect to hit it on the first shot.  I was just going to blast all 30 rounds into it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Most of the long range wanna-bes don't even have enough elevation on their glass to dial that far out.
When you bring up this little fact they usually respond by saying "I held over" when I shot the
mouse at 750 yards.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really didn't expect to hit it on the first shot.  I was just going to blast all 30 rounds into it.

Pray and spray (paint)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I love it.  But by the way does anyone know what a 22-250 does at 700 yards.  I'm just now getting my Rem.  700 Varmint stretched out but have'nt been past the 250 mark yet.  I never really thought about even crossing the 5-600 yard mark.  And now I'm wondering if that round has anything left in it past the 600 mark.  Like you said there not a lot of places to shoot past 250.  I have access to a 1000 yard private range but have to drive 3 hours to get there.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I love it.  But by the way does anyone know what a 22-250 does at 700 yards.  I'm just now getting my Rem.  700 Varmint stretched out but have'nt been past the 250 mark yet.  I never really thought about even crossing the 5-600 yard mark.  And now I'm wondering if that round has anything left in it past the 600 mark.  Like you said there not a lot of places to shoot past 250.  I have access to a 1000 yard private range but have to drive 3 hours to get there.

Hell, will it even throw a round 700 yards?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hell, I can shoot sub MOA groups at a dead run!

Me too!  And I can do it with just one round!

Mark.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had many conversations over the years with guys that shot deer at "500 yards".

I once challenged a guy to show me something that he thought was 250 yards away.  He pointed out a tree.  I told him, "That tree is about 100 yards away."

He said, "No way!  It's at least 250 or even more."

I told him to step it off.  There were a bunch of witnesses.

He walked it off and we all counted.  

It was 104 yards.

Most non-gunney folks are very poor estimaters of distance.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

22-250 REM 55 GR V-MAX  

Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)

Muzzle                    
3680/1654  

3253/1292

2867/1003    

2511/770    

2183/582  

1880/432

Trajectory (inches)
Muzzle 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd 400 yd 500 yd
-1.5  0.9      0.00 -5.2 -15.9 -33.9
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have had many conversations over the years with guys that shot deer at "500 yards".

I once challenged a guy to show me something that he thought was 250 yards away.  He pointed out a tree.  I told him, "That tree is about 100 yards away."

He said, "No way!  It's at least 250 or even more."

I told him to step it off.  There were a bunch of witnesses.

He walked it off and we all counted.  

It was 104 yards.

Most non-gunney folks are very poor estimaters of distance.

Being an avid golfer helps me.  I grew up playing a course that didn't mark yardages on the sprinkler heads so I was always having to estimate.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I certainly wouldn't want to get hit by one even at 700 yards...  It's hotter than our beloved 5.56/.223 by a fair amount...

I met a guy at the local gun shop the other day that told me his .375 H&H will shoot 1.5" groups at 1500 yards.  I had the hardest time not laughing or rolling my eyes at him!

I also met a guy whose Romanian Ak will shoot 1/4 MOA.  He was hanging around a table full of them at a gun show, trying to act like a customer...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I did the same thing to a former co-worker. he said he had plenty of room at his farm and I said "can we get 500-600 yards?"  "Sure" he replied so we go out there and he has gallon jugs on this big rock and said shoot from here by the house it should be 500yds. Well it was more like 375 but I pulled my 22-250 out and put in my 5 rounds and picked the far right jug. Wind was at 2 o'clock blowing light on my face so i put the crosshair level with the lid and the center on theright side of the jug. Boom, no more jug..I said let's make sure that wasn't luck and did the same thing to the one on the left. Boom no more jug. I put the rifle away with a lil sh(*&t-eating grin and my buddy who was with us said that guys eyes got huge when i hit the first one. Funyy thing is you are never gonna beat this guy in anything. He said he caught a fish with scales that were as big as coffee can lids...lol I loved to show him up.....
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like you owned him!

I was hitting prairie dogs out to probably ~200-250 yards with my .17HMR back in August.  Don't get me wrong, I missed a lot at those ranges, but I did make some hits!   Anything within ~125 yards was dead just by putting the crosshair on it.  hehehe
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#16]
 Retards...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sounds like you owned him!

I was hitting prairie dogs out to probably ~200-250 yards with my .17HMR back in August.  Don't get me wrong, I missed a lot at those ranges, but I did make some hits!   Anything within ~125 yards was dead just by putting the crosshair on it.  hehehe

I love my .17 HMR, but I haven't been able to test it on squirrels or past 100 yards yet.  On my first trip to the range with it I was shooting <.5 MOA easily after breaking it in a bit.  

Did you get a chance to check the damage of any of the hits at 200 yards?  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Many moons ago, me and my buddies were rednecking around.  We were talking about guns and I happened to have my Mini-30...now hold on!

One of the boys wanted to shoot it so I got out a nanner clip and let him have a go.  We were at the edge of a 200-acre cotton patch that went slightly uphill.  He shoots at some dirt clod and we all giggled at the rick-a-shay'n bullets.  

So help me, a big ol' rat ran out of a clump of grass that I suppose was skeered by the gunfire.  It was about 1000 yards away...prolly more like 15-hunnert. *  

SHOOT IT!  SHOOT IT!

My buddy laid-in own it but the bullets was going ever-whirr.  I snatched the rifle out of his arms and shot at the rat.  It took me three shots though to killit.  It's a good thang 'cause that's awl 'e left me.  

This is a true story except it was actually about 250 yds away and I never did hit it with 15-20 shots.  However, I did make 'eem dance and I think I must have missed it by inches a few times.  My buddies were wildly impressed, and I think they believed that: "I hated to kill it." .     Fortunately, the empty magazine allowed me to decline hitting more innocent clods of dirt.  

I wish I had pics of the rick-o-shays so I could post them here and be famous.      
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Many moons ago, me and my buddies were rednecking around.  We were talking about guns and I happened to have my Mini-30...now hold on!

One of the boys wanted to shoot it so I got out a nanner clip and let him have a go.  We were at the edge of a 200-acre cotton patch that went slightly uphill.  He shoots at some dirt clod and we all giggled at the rick-a-shay'n bullets.  

So help me, a big ol' rat ran out of a clump of grass that I suppose was skeered by the gunfire.  It was about 1000 yards away...prolly more like 15-hunnert. *  

SHOOT IT!  SHOOT IT!

My buddy laid-in own it but the bullets was going ever-whirr.  I snatched the rifle out of his arms and shot at the rat.  It took me three shots though to killit.  It's a good thang 'cause that's awl 'e left me.  

This is a true story except it was actually about 250 yds away and I never did hit it with 15-20 shots.  However, I did make 'eem dance and I think I must have missed it by inches a few times.  My buddies were wildly impressed, and I think they believed that: "I hated to kill it." .     Fortunately, the empty magazine allowed me to decline hitting more innocent clods of dirt.  

I wish I had pics of the rick-o-shays so I could post them here and be famous.      

Sounds like there was some beer involved.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Heck, I like to handload the second round hotter than the first. That way I can hit the first round from the back, with the second round before the first one even gets to the target.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#21]
What's your point, I once hit an F-15 doing Mach 2 on the run  from 4 miles away with a .50, it then proceeded to catch on fire and finally crashed into a childrens hospital
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I once saw our two Jack Russells tag-team on a groundhog,they were about 700 yrds away,or was it 600 yds away?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Be careful embarrasing armed people (unless they are close friends)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Most of the long range wanna-bes don't even have enough elevation on their glass to dial that far out.

True story. An NCO at the PWS in Quantico told me that most glass won't work with an M40A1,2, or 3 because "There are not enough clicks in the elevation".

OTOH, Did I ever tell you about the tome I screwed 4 women with the same hard-on?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#25]
not a good idea! that guy was probably a navy seal! now he won't sell you jerky
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I shot at prairie dogs at 600 yards with a 22-250. They couldn't figure out what was skipping off the ground around them. With the South Dakota wind and no idea where to aim they were safe anywayl  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#27]
The problem with trying to bullshit competitive shooters is that they KNOW how far away 700 yards IS.

I get this crap all the time.

I have yet to meet one of these people(with one exception) that's willing to meet me at a KD range and put his money where his mouth is.

One time several years back I bet one guy $100 not that I could outshoot him, but that he didn't have enough balls to show up at the range and let me humiliate him. I had a mutual acquaintance hold the money.

The idiots ego cost him $100 because I was right, he was so scared of beung humiliated he never showed.

FWIW, I am NOT a HM, and I shoot the NM course in the low 430s.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#28]
It does make me wonder what most guys would do looking downrange at the 1000 yard mark.  The private range I have access to is my gf's fathers.  He lives quite a ways north of me.  But I've had the pleasure of attempting to hit the 1000 yard mark.  He's the proud owner of a .50 cal Barret.  Well he laid it down and we went and set up 50 gallon drum tops at the 1000 mark.  Wow..... and I thought I was doing good.  I was keeping about every 2nd to 3rd round on the top.  That boy put a 10 rnd mag in.  It was rather exiting though.  With some help from him I'm slowly getting a taste of distance shooting.  He's drove home the distance point.  You really can't set a decent shot up without knowing your range, wind, elevations.  I'm learning its an art form that I'll probly spend a life attempting to become proficent at.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
 I'm learning its an art form that I'll probly spend a life attempting to become proficent at.

At times I think it's more like witchcraft.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I used to bullseye womp rats from my T-16 back home...they're not much bigger than two meters.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#31]
OWNED!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like Billy did a little poaching from his truck...or is that just me?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top