Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 11:14:25 AM EDT
Let's say you are driving along at night and notice a car following you that attracts you attention for whatever reason.  What steps do you go through in a) attempting to identify the vehicle b) determining if they are following you?

Now since I tend to speed a lot I always keep a look out for cops.  The city I work in is the state capital and has multiple state police posts, head quarters, training centers, labs...ects so there are always marked and unmarked cops on the road.  Most cops are, even unmarked cars, are fairly easily to spot due to the way they drive and the styling of the vehicle.  When it's dark and I first get on the highway I always check my 6, got a ticket once because I didn't do that and stomped on it with an unmarked car right behind me.  Now at night you have a cars headlights glaring in your mirrors so it's difficult to tell exactly who is behind you so I use the review on the dim setting to look at the size and shape of the headlights and parking lights.  The crown vic parking lights give the vehicle away.  Also if you slow down and let a vehicle get behind the vehicle that is following you the headlights of that vehicle will light up the interior and let you see how many people are inside the vehicle following you.

Now if you want to get the license plate of the vehicle behind you, if you are on the interstate you can try this, get in the left lane and go near the speed limit, wait for another vehicle to end up behind the car following you, then jump into the right lane and hit the brakes.  Your suddent movement and braking combined with the car behind the car following you will force the car to pass you, now you have their plate.  If you are on a side street, find a parking lot with two entrances close to each other most grocery stores, gas stations, and office buildings have this.  Pull in, drive through the parking lot, go out the other exit, step on it and circle back into the first entrance, now the person following you is on the road in front of you and you can get their plate.  

The worst way to attempt to get a license plate would be to stop your vehicle at a dead end road and walk towards the front of the other vehicle while their lights are on as they could have no front license plate and could back away from you.

So what are some other tricks for IDing who is behind you without getting out of your vehicle or otherwise putting yourself in a dangerous spot?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Circle the block. ( make for right turns one after the other to put you back on the road you where fallowing)

Stop in the middle of the road.  Get out and just start running.  If they are police they'll chase after you

Stop the car.  Get out and draw down on every one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#2]
From what I have been reading here recently, the correct action is to lead them to your neighborhood, stop the car and jump out unarmed, leaving your wife and kids in the car.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I just make three right turns.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Let's say you are driving along at night and notice a car following you that attracts you attention for whatever reason.  What steps do you go through in a) attempting to identify the vehicle b) determining if they are following you?

Now since I tend to speed a lot I always keep a look out for cops.  The city I work in is the state capital and has multiple state police posts, head quarters, training centers, labs...ects so there are always marked and unmarked cops on the road.  Most cops are, even unmarked cars, are fairly easily to spot due to the way they drive and the styling of the vehicle.  When it's dark and I first get on the highway I always check my 6, got a ticket once because I didn't do that and stomped on it with an unmarked car right behind me.  Now at night you have a cars headlights glaring in your mirrors so it's difficult to tell exactly who is behind you so I use the review on the dim setting to look at the size and shape of the headlights and parking lights.  The crown vic parking lights give the vehicle away.  Also if you slow down and let a vehicle get behind the vehicle that is following you the headlights of that vehicle will light up the interior and let you see how many people are inside the vehicle following you.

Now if you want to get the license plate of the vehicle behind you, if you are on the interstate you can try this, get in the left lane and go near the speed limit, wait for another vehicle to end up behind the car following you, then jump into the right lane and hit the brakes.  Your suddent movement and braking combined with the car behind the car following you will force the car to pass you, now you have their plate.  If you are on a side street, find a parking lot with two entrances close to each other most grocery stores, gas stations, and office buildings have this.  Pull in, drive through the parking lot, go out the other exit, step on it and circle back into the first entrance, now the person following you is on the road in front of you and you can get their plate.  

The worst way to attempt to get a license plate would be to stop your vehicle at a dead end road and walk towards the front of the other vehicle while their lights are on as they could have no front license plate and could back away from you.

So what are some other tricks for IDing who is behind you without getting out of your vehicle or otherwise putting yourself in a dangerous spot?

Man are you in for an education
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Stop in the middle of the road.  Get out and just start running.  If they are police they'll chase after you

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

From what I have been reading here recently, the correct action is to lead them to your neighborhood, stop the car and jump out unarmed, leaving your wife and kids in the car.

I was trying to add something, but it all came out too strongly worded, so I'll just say this:

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Slam on the brakes, wait for the responding officer to give you your copy of the crash report. All the info that you desire will be there.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Now since I tend to speed a lot I always keep a look out for cops.  The city I work in is the state capital and has multiple state police posts, head quarters, training centers, labs...ects so there are always marked and unmarked cops on the road. Most cops are, even unmarked cars, are fairly easily to spot due to the way they drive and the styling of the vehicle.  When it's dark and I first get on the highway I always check my 6, got a ticket once because I didn't do that and stomped on it with an unmarked car right behind me.  Now at night you have a cars headlights glaring in your mirrors so it's difficult to tell exactly who is behind you so I use the review on the dim setting to look at the size and shape of the headlights and parking lights.  The crown vic parking lights give the vehicle away.  Also if you slow down and let a vehicle get behind the vehicle that is following you the headlights of that vehicle will light up the interior and let you see how many people are inside the vehicle following you.

Read carefully.  Do Not Speed.  

"I speed a lot" + There are TON'S of cops all over the place = I'm retarded.  I think most people can agree on that.

As for knowing if somebody is following you.  Be aware of who's behind you.  If they're STILL behind you after a few turns, then do a few right or left hand turns in a row.  If they're still behind you then, yeah, they're following you.

As for IDing them.  I'd ID them when I stopped my car and they either stop behind me or keep driving.  If you know where a police department is nearby, it could be good to go there and stop.  Unless, of course you're a criminal and you think it's the cops that are following you.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Two right turns. If they are still following, be prepared for some shit to go down.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

From who?  I lived in Detroit, inside the actual city not out in a suburb, for 7 years.  I didn't live in the worst part of town but there wasn't a building that didn't have bars on the windows and there were always people standing on the corners or in the middle of the streets.  I got my education through those years and never had an incident.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Let 'em pass you then write down the plate number, look for blue lights hidden in grill, camera by the rearview mirror, extra radio attennas, is the driver in a uniform?  Does he have a buzzcut?  Is there a search light on the driver's side mirror?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Slam on the brakes, wait for the responding officer to give you your copy of the crash report. All the info that you desire will be there.

I was going to say, "By the dent they'll leave in your tailgate."
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From who?  I lived in Detroit, inside the actual city not out in a suburb, for 7 years.  I didn't live in the worst part of town but there wasn't a building that didn't have bars on the windows and there were always people standing on the corners or in the middle of the streets.  I got my education through those years and never had an incident.

I was being a smart ass....no harm intended. But  the offical AR15.com answer is as follows: Your a fool if you haven't trained for this. Drive to a police station or a hospital. If your security is threatend and you have access to a weapon worry about local, state and federal regulations and risk being killed remember when it comes to your life we must obey laws, so when the offender is violating the law killing you remember you must follow the law. Every other ar15 member has trained for this why haven't you? Your a FOOL and no matter what you do we will tell you how you could have done it better. You really put your family at risk by not training for this.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#15]
tag

ETA: how you like that shit?
my "tag" finally works!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top