Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 10:01:45 PM EDT
Hi,

Looking to swap the forward handguard on my 870 but cant get the inner ring off of the stock to remove that foregrip. Looks like a special tool is needed, will I have to go to a gunsmith to get him to remove it???

Anything else to use that will work??
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one you can use,IM sent.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used long needle nose pliers in the past, I used a crescent wrench to turn the pliers. I didnt want to spend 30 dollars for a tool I would only need once, and this way worked for me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine came with the Surefire forend, it's just a piece of stamped metal with a hole so you can insert a screwdriver as a handle.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
if it comes down to it, you can just use a slot tip screwdriver to move the ring.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
if it comes down to it, you can just use a slot tip screwdriver to move the ring.

That's what I always use. Put the screwdriver blade in the slot and give the screwdriver a tap with the palm of my hand.  I have done a few like that and put the new foregrip back the same way and have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've used long needle nose pliers in the past, I used a crescent wrench to turn the pliers. I didnt want to spend 30 dollars for a tool I would only need once, and this way worked for me.

yup. that's how I changed out the forend on my friend's 870
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#8]
the tool came with my surefire fore end.  the tool makes it simple as pie but a set of pliers can do it as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I always use. Put the screwdriver blade in the slot and give the screwdriver a tap with the palm of my hand.  I have done a few like that and put the new foregrip back the same way and have never had a problem.

yep
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I found a forend wrench on ebay for about $10. I've only used it on my 870 once, but a couple of my friends have needed it since. Just something ot consider.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#11]
A pair of LONG needle nose pliers will do it, just be careful. You don't need no stinkin' special tool...although that works really well too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Taking my time and doing internet searches paid off! I am glad to let everyone know that I was able to use the needle nose pliers technique and anchor it against a solid stationary object. From there I just used both hands to twist the Foregrip and it came off like my girlfriends panties on prom night

Thanks for all the help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top