Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 9:43:50 PM EDT
The situation is simple, the Shit has Hit The Fan. Total social breakdown has occurred, a disaster, an invasion, an EMP, a terrorist attack, an economic collapse, an uprising or some other event has changed the United States forever.

You find you must move across the country to survive, you cannot shelter in place. There are no working cars, or no gas to fuel them, you must move across the country on foot.

You cannot rely on outside support, there either isn't any, or it's too dangerous to risk.

The good news: All your for SHTF gear is intact and working.

So, assume you thought ahead for just this situation, what would that SHTF gear be? What would you bring in this situation? [no, they don't have to be items you actually own... just items on the US market, somewhere].

Keep in mind, you're on foot. And no, you may not kidnap people and force them to carry your ten million rounds of XM193 on their backs. You have to move on your own, or with your family, on foot, coast to coast. You must survive the elements, stay strong enough to finish the journey, and be able to defend yourself from the numerous risks [whatever they may be] which surround you now. No car, truck or other vehicle. Just a backpack and you.

Your answers will be graded by brain, brawn, practicality and jazz.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Highly improbable, and it would take years to do on foot. You can only carry a few day's rations on your back. If you're assuming a hostile or chaotic world it's going to be hard to get more. Hunting and fishing would be slow and uncertain, and sooner or later you'd miss and starve. Lewis & Clark nearly did, and they started out with a flatboat full of supplies.

You'd need a skill you could trade for food and supplies along the way. So I'd go to med school first.

Traveling west to east you could barter for a canoe, which would make traveling much faster and let you carry more stuff, at least as far as the Mississippi. From there you could maybe work your way up the Ohio or the Great Lakes, then hoof it the last few hundred miles.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Then I have working vehicles, and will be able to drive.

Assuming that doesn't work, I would use a mountain bike with one of those kid trailers to pull behind it. Can load that up with plenty of supplies and bike across country.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Highly improbable, and it would take years to do on foot. You can only carry a few day's rations on your back. If you're assuming a hostile or chaotic world it's going to be hard to get more. Hunting and fishing would be slow and uncertain, and sooner or later you'd miss and starve. Lewis & Clark nearly did, and they started out with a flatboat full of supplies.

You'd need a skill you could trade for food and supplies along the way. So I'd go to med school first.

Traveling west to east you could barter for a canoe, which would make traveling much faster and let you carry more stuff, at least as far as the Mississippi. From there you could maybe work your way up the Ohio or the Great Lakes, then hoof it the last few hundred miles.

I didn't ask if it would be easy, I asked folks to pick their gear if they had to do it.

Good grief, it's just for fun... Pick a damn survival kit already.

And we've come a long way since Lewis & Clark. Rations are still the biggest problem, and most of my kit choices will revolve around that problem.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any of those vehicles made pre-1970s?

No?

Then they may not work.

Unless you want to rig up a Survival Riding Lawnmower Of Dooooooooom™!

Assuming that doesn't work, I would use a mountain bike with one of those kid trailers to pull behind it. Can load that up with plenty of supplies and bike across country.

Good idea, I had been thinking along this line myself.

Still, I'm speaking kit specific items. I'll post my list to give folks an idea of the format I have in mind.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No?

Then they may not work.

Mid 70's, Little to no electronics to mess up. Everything is mechanical
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a wheelbarrow.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've got a wheelbarrow.

Is it tactical?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've got a wheelbarrow.

Is it tactical?

Just add some black spraypaint
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
What time of year?  Sled dog team?

For food, find the jerky guy from the gun shows and clean him out, if you run out...
Sled dog team.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No?

Then they may not work.

Unless you want to rig up a Survival Riding Lawnmower Of Dooooooooom™!

Good idea, I had been thinking along this line myself.

Still, I'm speaking kit specific items. I'll post my list to give folks an idea of the format I have in mind.

That's my plan...my and my John Deere are gonna hoof it 2000 miles.  Better than walking.  Mine is a tactical model, too!

ETA:  Forgot about the wife...she would walk behind the Tactical John Deere, watching my 6
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#11]
What I would pick for this situation.

Main Weapon: M1 Carbine. I select the carbine because of its light weight, and for little other reason. It's light, holds 30 rounds in easy to reload magazines, and has enough range for most situations. No, it's not the best weapon, but if you're going coast to coast without a real vehicle, you need everything to be as light as possible.

Secondary weapon: M1911.

Third weapon: North American Arms .22LR Black Widow with holster grip, not actually intended as a weapon, bur rather to be used on small game.

Gerber multitool.

Gerber survival knife.

Gerber hatchet.

Several magnesium fire starters.

Smallest damn tent I can find [thinking about 'nylon sheet, string and two trees'].

Smallest damn sleeping blanket I can find.

First aid kit.

Water filter, times two.

Lightweight canteens.

BDU, backpack and my Boots.

Other than that, just fill my backpack with as many MREs as I find practical. Food is the main problem. The less other crap I carry, the more food I can carry at any given time. MREs would be held in reserve for times when I cannot hunt or otherwise gather food from what's around me. Even then the contents of the MREs would be rationed as much as possible.

Water, food, shelter, means of defense. Not much else you need to survive... odds of making it? Who knows... But it's a hell of a try. The Indians did it, and they didn't have any of this stuff.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No?

Then they may not work.

Mid 70's, Little to no electronics to mess up. Everything is mechanical

Lucky you... I'll be screwed in that regard, in the unlikely event of an EMP.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#13]
No sweat!

I'll just strap a case of cold beer to the lawn chair, fill up the balloons and drink myself into a better hypothetical situation.

Before you call BS... Its been done before.
Link
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]
supressed .22 pistol  2or3 bricks of ammo

you can get everything else

seiously if the world has gone that far to shit
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Do bicycles still work?  If so, even an average in shape person can bike coast to coast in a little over 2 months.  Food along the way is a real problem though.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Who's got the Trash Bags???

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Transportation: Bikes with "buggers". If on foot, some kind of cart - a Radio Flyer at very least.

with: BOB, Durable clothing, tent(s), tarps, kitchen items, firestarting stuff, big first aid bag, spare clothing (to include cold weather gear), water purification, survival and first aid books, a few tools, spare boots if possible. Some food to get us started, and some silver to purchase food and other necessities on the way.

Defense: ARs and as much ammo as I can carry without upsetting the more important survival stuff. Night vision monocular for things that go bump in the night.

Good news is, I have most of this stuff now. I know I am likely forgetting a ton of stuff.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Do bicycles still work?  If so, even an average in shape person can bike coast to coast in a little over 2 months.  Food along the way is a real problem though.

GunLvr

Yep use a bike have or build a trailer.  PVC piping could be used to construct a useable trailer.

Better yet build a go-cart.  

How about a horse or cow.  Transportation and food in one package.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Who's got the Trash Bags???

Trash bags! I need Trash BAGS!!!

I'll just bug-in, wait for you to pass buy all uberly, snipe you and take whats good. If hungry, start with the quadracep.
Beware, the hills have eyes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I would make my way on my skills and good looks.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Deliver the mail enroute to St. Rose.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#23]
" 200 gallons of lube ,a latex pussy and a picture of someones mom"

The quote goes something like that.

If you want more seriouse answers , post the question in the Survival forum.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#25]
It would take years.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Gather all friends and family, load each of them up with gear, girls would probably carry more of the essentials for living like food, water, extra clothes, extra ammunition and what not while the guys would carry weapons with ammunition and small amounts of food and water and maybe their own sleeping gear. Id try to find someone with horses and jerry rig a small pickup to it for carrying gear. If fuel was non existent you could pull out the engine and whatever else is not needed to make it lighter
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
1 gun w/ many bullets
1 mountain bike, stolen using gun w/ many bullets.
2 extra chains for stolen mountain bike.
2 extra sets brake cables for stolen mountian bike.
8 extra innertubes for stolen mountain bike.
10 patch kits for stolen mountain bike.
1 Huge pack of dogs trained before the disaster to find food, kill attackers, carry supplies, play fetch, pretend to be injured to sucker easy marks, and fetch luxury items ie. beer and women as found.

I will feed the dogs on domesticated pets ie cats/smalldogs, liberals(they wont last long), and doggy treats liberated from grocery stores.  Then will rebuild society from ashes of old one, minus liberals/lawyers/smallannoyingdogs/microsoft.

--mort
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd start out with a motorized assault wheelbarrow...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top