Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/22/2006 9:18:58 PM EDT
Got it!  Pics on page 3

Well I think its finally time to get a new to me vehicle.  I've been eyeballing the Suburbans and found a nice 99 for 10,950.  So I think I can probably get it for 10,000.  My wife would like a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan Mini-van.  But they are quite a bit more expensive and with the v6 engines dont get the greatest gas mileage either.

Anyways, what do you think of the Suburbans?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Go american. I've had the best of luck with my chevy's. Always buy a V8. Your  family will be safer in a full size.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had a 96 for the last 3 years.  Put a lot of mountain, highway miles, and offroad miles on it.

It is probably the most versitile vehicle you can buy.

I get 15-17 miles per gallon, and they are a reliable mature product.  Parts are cheap when you do need them.  A fuel injected Chevy Small Block is one of the most bulletproof engines you can get.  They have had 40 + years to get it right, and they have.

You will love the functionality of the interior, and all the storage up front.  Lots of CCW cubby holes.

A 99 at 11,000 or 10,000 is a steal.   Get it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I own a 97 Tahoe which is the same thing just a little shorter in length. I love it! 120,000 miles and running like a champ.

It is built much more solid then most trucks built after 2000. Just look at how the trucks today have tons of plastic even the dam bumpers are plastic. The sheet metal is heavier and much more solid then just about any other truck out there. You can acctually sit on the hood and not cave it in or dent it and I'm 200lbs. The frame are heavier and will take an accident better with less damage.

The 1993(I think?) through 1999 Suburban/Tahoe were the very best made. When Mine dies I'll do a full restore on it and drive it for another 20 years if gas is still the main fuel.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it a Chevy or GMC Suburban? As far as GM's trucks and SUV's go, ALWAYS get the GMC (better interior, and IIRC better suspension/slightly more powerful engine), never the Chevy. 1999 was the last year that they used the 350cu.in. in the Suburbans. After that they went to a 323 in the 1500 series, and a ~366 in the 2500 series.

Anyway, my dad has 1999 GMC Suburban 1500(dont remember which model exactly, it's the high end. Push button on the fly 4WD, etc). I love it. Rides better than a Cadi, tons of power (although I keep trying to convince my dad to put a blower on his; I think I'm getting closer to getting him to :D ); pulls a horse trailer w/2 horses in it with plenty of power to spare. It's actually pretty easy to get around in, just have to remember that it's the size of a small train :P. Very comfortable vehicle to be in for a long period of time (road trips, etc).

He put slightly bigger tires on the stock rims (265/75/16's IIRC vs 245/75/16's), and it has absolutely no problems in any Montana weather. I've never gotten it stuck, and I've tried :D :D :D

Wanna post some more info on the particular one you found?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The Chevy and GMC roll of the same exact assembley line. They are exactly the same in every way....cept for the badges.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Chevy and GMC roll of the same exact assembley line. They are exactly the same in every way....cept for the badges.

+1  No difference in GMC and Chevy.

My dad rides in a 96 Suburban, my older brother has a 94 Yukon, and I have a 99 Tahoe. All the same truck, but in different lengths. I'll roll 100K on mine this weekend, while dad's Sub will hit 180K very soon. None of us will be getting rid of our trucks soon.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#7]
My rear main is starting to leak at 120,000 miles. I read about this stuff called Auto Rx that really helps condition seals. Might try it before  pull the tranny to reseal it up. Read great reviews on this stuff at www.bobistheoilguy.com which is a top rated oil site.....worth a try I guess.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Just bought a 98 LT 'burban with all the stuff ,leather trim, heated seats, cd/cassette, ac, , brand new BFG all terrains.....$7500 with 100,000 miles on it.  It is in awesome shape.  Decent power. 44 gallon fuel tank, milage sucks though, 12 MPG, needs a tune up.

Upgrading from a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  2 kids in car seats and 2 dogs left no room for groceries since my beloved wife had to go and buy the BIGGEST FOOKIN' stroller I have ever seen.

My milage might be down because it is winter and because it has 265/75/r16's on it, most of these came with 245's I think.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:46:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just bought a 98 LT 'burban with all the stuff ,leather trim, heated seats, cd/cassette, ac, , brand new BFG all terrains.....$7500 with 100,000 miles on it.  It is in awesome shape.  Decent power. 44 gallon fuel tank, milage sucks though, 12 MPG, needs a tune up.

Upgrading from a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  2 kids in car seats and 2 dogs left no room for groceries since my beloved wife had to go and buy the BIGGEST FOOKIN' stroller I have ever seen.

My milage might be down because it is winter and because it has 265/75/r16's on it, most of these came with 245's I think.  

The 245s are stock for 4WD. I ditched them in favor of the 285s, and it's just right.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I've owned suburbans since before they were cool. That being said, I would not hesitate to say go for it. Lots of room, power, good visibility, mileage can be improved with a power module or computer re-program. I've had GMC and Chevy and see no difference.
My opinion is to stay away from 4 wheel drive if you can. Most people never use it for what it's designed for anyway. If the roads are so bad that 2wd can't cut it maybe it's a good day to stay home.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:16:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an '04 Suburban, and am going to keep it.

I usually get sick of my cars after 2 years, but I really like this one.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:01:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an '03 Suburban and it's been a great vehicle--I've had no problems with it.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:13:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The 245s are stock for 4WD. I ditched them in favor of the 285s, and it's just right.

What's your milage?

I manage to squeeze 15 or so (was up to 17but I put bigger tires on) my 90 1/2 ton Chevy.  I don't see why I can't get it out of a newer 'burban.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:10:49 AM EDT
[#14]
We like ours.  Only complaint is that the rear door hinges are crap. They grind and squeak.  Not to hijack the thread but if anyone knows a solution please IM...  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:18:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I own a 97 Tahoe which is the same thing just a little shorter in length. I love it!

One of the best vehicles we have had, the hubby won't let me use it much though as he can't get his tall ass in my little car.  We have not regretted our decision to buy the tahoe at all. (other then gas mileage and price of gas)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:14:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an 02 Yukon XL (suburban) and it's great... best vehicle I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife has a Tahoe -she loves it. I like it. Get one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:42:16 AM EDT
[#18]
The 5.3l is a damn good motor.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I say listen to your wife.  Get a toyota.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:53:57 AM EDT
[#20]
We had a 97 Yukon, and we really liked it, 18MPG on the hwy and it would cruise across WY on I80 @ 80MPH all day long and never even slow down for the hills except the real long one before Evanston.

My wife and 3 daughters were broadsided by a tractor trailer rig that ran a red light @45, he was full of rock. Crushed the passenger side in 2-2 1/2 ft and even buckled the frame. Rolled the Yukon on to its side. My middle daughter was sitting next to the passenger door where the impact occured, she sustained head lacerations, but nothing else. Everyone walked away from the accident. This would not have been the case if they were in the Alero that we had before buying the Yukon. I would have been attending a funeral service for the 4 of them.......

I went out and bought a 2000 Tahoe Z71 to replace the Yukon and have never looked back. I know they are far safer in that than in a car.

1996-2000 Old Body Style Tahoe/Yukon/Surburban had issues with the fuel pump, you need to keep it above 1/4 tank of gas to insure proper cooling. Replacement cost is about $600 P&L

I would recommend a 1500 series over a 2500, as the 2500 will get much worse gas mileage due to the gearing in the 3/4 ton. Also I would recommend a Z71 package, it is much better suited to extreme conditions from the factory than the other packages. Bigger and better shocks, positrak, nerf bars, brush bumper and the like.

We are going to need a Suburban now with child #4 on the way... I am actually thinking of a 2003/2004 Z71 as they were available with the flex fuel option, they will burn E85 as well as gas.

Your families safety can not be measured in MPG.

dave
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:11:25 AM EDT
[#21]
We now have a 04' Suburban.  Very happy except for the gas mileage of course.  Before that we had a 99' Tahoe.  The Tahoe was nice too.  Watch for brake problems in that vintage GM truck.  I think the proportioning valves had some problems and some need replacement.  You'll know if it takes a lot of pedal to get it stopped.  Maybe not a big deal, but just something to watch for.

Great family vehicles.

dvo
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:16:41 AM EDT
[#22]
My wife drives an '05 Suburban.  It's like a comfortable couch on wheels.  The only problem we had is that it sat a little one-sided and squeaked a little in the rear on bumps.  I adjusted one of the torsion bars and now it sits straight and doesn't make a sound.
Plenty of power (5.3L) and I was surprised by how far it goes on a tank of gas.  As much as I myself am a Ford guy, I like the Suburban.  Seven people in the household adn we all fit in there pretty good.  The Tahoe would just be too small and there is no storage space behind the third seat.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:44:26 AM EDT
[#23]
My family has had a few (96-current model) Suburbans/Tahoes.  They have been great trucks.  We have used for everything from hauling people to towing to hauling tools to fix tractors in the middle of the woods.  Never had any problems, just always kept the maint schedule.  I agree with the idea of getting a 1500 over the 2500.  The 2500 rides more like a truck and gets worse gas mileage.  The 1500 is much more comfortable on the road and will still tow just fine.

Quoted:
I say listen to your wife.  Get a toyota.

So do you own a Suburban or a Tahoe?  Let me guess, you don't own either and in light of the original poster's request, had to interject an opinion without any merit to the topic.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the info guys.  I'm going to see if I can get a deal worked.  Already have approval from the bank.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We had a 97 Yukon, and we really liked it, 18MPG on the hwy and it would cruise across WY on I80 @ 80MPH all day long and never even slow down for the hills except the real long one before Evanston.

My wife and 3 daughters were broadsided by a tractor trailer rig that ran a red light @45, he was full of rock. Crushed the passenger side in 2-2 1/2 ft and even buckled the frame. Rolled the Yukon on to its side. My middle daughter was sitting next to the passenger door where the impact occured, she sustained head lacerations, but nothing else. Everyone walked away from the accident. This would not have been the case if they were in the Alero that we had before buying the Yukon. I would have been attending a funeral service for the 4 of them.......

I went out and bought a 2000 Tahoe Z71 to replace the Yukon and have never looked back. I know they are far safer in that than in a car.

1996-2000 Old Body Style Tahoe/Yukon/Surburban had issues with the fuel pump, you need to keep it above 1/4 tank of gas to insure proper cooling. Replacement cost is about $600 P&L

I would recommend a 1500 series over a 2500, as the 2500 will get much worse gas mileage due to the gearing in the 3/4 ton. Also I would recommend a Z71 package, it is much better suited to extreme conditions from the factory than the other packages. Bigger and better shocks, positrak, nerf bars, brush bumper and the like.

We are going to need a Suburban now with child #4 on the way... I am actually thinking of a 2003/2004 Z71 as they were available with the flex fuel option, they will burn E85 as well as gas.

dave

We are hoping for a #4 as well we need something bigger but I'm really a Mini van Mom. I guess I give in but I'v found a few others I like to take for a spin!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:17:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Best vehicle I ever owned! 99 GMC 454 4:10 gears,  plowed and towed like a mother.
Only problem I ever had was a bad electric window switch.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like a pretty good deal.  Three years ago I bought (for $6,300) a '95 which had about 117k miles on it.  It was in beautiful shape inside and out (they still had the plastic on the floor carpets and I haven't removed it yet!).  Mine has had no problems beyond routine maintenance and it is easy to do some of the work myself on the engine.  Fuel economy: 12-13 city, 17+ highway (once I got close to 20mpg on a cross-country toll road run).  Best fuel economy is around 55-60 mph.  Having the huge fuel tank is great.  I only need gas every 2-3 months so I wait until the price is low and fill up (I think I have fueled it twice since last September, both times spent around $2.05 for gas).  It is very comfortable to drive and great for long road trips and camping trips with the family + dogs.  

Some things to watch for: fuel pump, transmission, electrical problems from the poor positive battery connector on the side-terminal battery.  

I really like the new Tahoe and I'd consider that as a replacement.  

I will say this though, if I had the money to buy a brand new Toyota Sienna three years ago I might have done so.  They are an excellent van and pretty practical and the mpg is much better.  But they are so much more expensive, and cost more to fix, and the way my wife drives a new minivan would be all scratched up and dented within 12 months.  I am hoping that Toyota stars making a hybrid Sienna, then I'll look at them again.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#28]
So far the only major gripe I have about mine is that the cupholders SUCK.  I do not know what kind of cups they were engineered to hold, but none of mine stay put, neither do any from any of the fast food places or coffee hacks I goto.  

I have been trying to find an organizer somethingorother that will fit in the transmission hump.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dave

We are hoping for a #4 as well we need something bigger but I'm really a Mini van Mom. I guess I give in but I'v found a few others I like to take for a spin!!

Pepper,

Try the Surburban, I found the Tahoe easier to drive than the Cherokee I had. My wife loves it, esp sitting above most everyone else.  If it has running boards or nerf bars, getting in and out is easy, even with car seats.

Just don't let Scott lift it

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dave

Pepper,

Try the Surburban, I found the Tahoe easier to drive than the Cherokee I had. My wife loves it, esp sitting above most everyone else.  If it has running boards or nerf bars, getting in and out is easy, even with car seats.

Just don't let Scott lift it

My plans are for her to absolutely hate it.  That way she'll want a van next year and I get the Suburban to myself.  Then I can lift it and put on some BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's :)

We pick up the Suburban at 4pm today!  Even has a overhead TV with DVD player and VCR!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#31]
2000 YM Chevy with the 5.3 liter V8.  Doing steady 70 MPH on the flats, its gets 20 MPG!  Its 2wd and yes, it will get stuck in places like the Hun Farm , especially when you are sick with bronchitis so don't get one

But I still gots it because it is a great all-around vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
So far the only major gripe I have about mine is that the cupholders SUCK.  I do not know what kind of cups they were engineered to hold, but none of mine stay put, neither do any from any of the fast food places or coffee hacks I goto.  

I have been trying to find an organizer somethingorother that will fit in the transmission hump.

Let me know if you find one.  My cupholders work pretty well but I don't like the placement right in front of the heat/AC vents.  

BTW I forgot to mention, mine is 2wd and I was not able to get up a steep hill which was covered with solid glaze ice.  But the brakes are good enough that they held the truck in place while I figured out how to back off the hill.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me know if you find one.  My cupholders work pretty well but I don't like the placement right in front of the heat/AC vents.  

BTW I forgot to mention, mine is 2wd and I was not able to get up a steep hill which was covered with solid glaze ice.  But the brakes are good enough that they held the truck in place while I figured out how to back off the hill.

GunLvr

Got the 4x4 here.  To be honest I dont think I have ever seen a 2wd available in our area.  With the snow that we sometimes get around here I'm glad we got a 4x4.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Currently on suburban #2

My wife has been driving ours and our kids for almost 10 years.  

I really like mine and has no equal for cargo + people space.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been riding/driveing around in a Suburban for years now, great trucks, much much much better then minivans.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Picked it up tonight and took it for a short road trip.  I just need to figure out the whole audio thing for the DVD/VCR player.  Its driving me nuts.  I dont think its a FM tuner because I went through all the channels.  When I push the Tape/Aux button the radio it doesnt do anything either.  Otherwise I absolutely love it!  Found out our local pumps have a $75 limit :)

I'll get pictures up tomorrow.  Tried to take some tonight but my camera flash isnt bright enough.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I did a little research and it appears that it is setup for wireless headsets.  I'll have to hit up a audio shop.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#38]
don't know what year but my mom's has over 215,000 miles on it and runs great. Step dad is a mechanic and a welder
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I just figured out the sound thing.  I was digging through the Audiovox website and came across their inline FM transmitter.  In the pile or wiring that came with it there was a toggle switch that looked a lot like one I found under the dash.  Flip the switch to use the car stereo speakers or wireless headsets.  Nice setup, even has 5.1 Dolby :)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Id rather have an Excursion/Expedition/Navigator.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Id rather have an Excursion/Expedition/Navigator.

....and I would rather have a H1 hummer but life is about compromises.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, my neighbor's buddy has one with 350,000 miles on the clock- no major repairs to date...

--VT

ETA: I had a '97 Silverado, great truck.  I traded it in for an '04--even better!!  

GO CHEVY!!

and I wish you the best of luck with your new purchase!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I've had an extended cab Chevy 4x4 for about 15 years now, and just got a Tahoe.  Need to remember they are trucks and not cars.  If you need one you really need one.  If you don't need one, you aren't going to be happy because they are big and drink gas.  Gee what a surprise.  My 350 and it's gearing can get from Brea to Convict Lake on one tank.  My buddies 454 with the power gearing can't pass a pump without stopping.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Otherwise I absolutely love it!  Found out our local pumps have a $75 limit :)

I try to never have it go below half a tank, so typically I am putting $40-60 into it.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Otherwise I absolutely love it!  Found out our local pumps have a $75 limit :)

I try to never have it go below half a tank, so typically I am putting $40-60 into it.

GunLvr

That is my plan also.  Unfortunately the dealer didnt put any gas in it so we had a fresh start

The good thing is that my wife still wants a mini van!  That means the Burban will be all mine!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#46]
1994, 1500, 350 EverGreen, flow-master exhaust, K&N air, LOOOOTS of room, love it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Excellent vehicles, they are.

A 2003 Suburban rolling across the country with 6 adults and 2 kids and their gear for 2 weeks never skipped a beat.  From the mountainous terrain of Glacier National Park to the frozen streets of ND in winter and when we packed 14 people (family) for a quick ride out in NYC, never failed us.  

Also got a 97 Tahoe, had the alternator replaced twice now, and just replaced the shocks myself.  Pretty darn good truck.  

Won't be disappointed with Chevy or GMC.  Difference between them is that I think that GMC is a big higher grade.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:23:35 AM EDT
[#48]
'99 Tahoe, 116,000 miles.  Other than the alternator (twice) no problems.  My biggest gripe is no trunk to lock an AR in.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:41:53 AM EDT
[#49]
I've owned an 88 Suburban since 1993.  I have replaced every major component and painted it twice.  It will haul damn near anything and it is safe in comparison to a smaller vehicle.  I love it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Keep a good high amp battery installed and you won't be buying alternators. In general the high amp alternators GM puts in their vehicles now are much small in size than the older ones. And much more prone to overheating, as such they fail when they are carrying more load than the battery. When the battery starts to fail, the alt is worked harder, and causes a failure. The alternators are great for charging the battery after starting, and keeping it charged, but when you try to run the accessories from it as well, you got problems.

I like the older alt setup from the early/mid 80's, pretty much bullet proof, but a much bigger drag on the engine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top