Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 7:30:11 PM EDT

just wondering- lets say someone wanted to download movies, educational ones for example, like the movie "Shaun Of the Dead"

what format do you want to download it in to make it easiest to copy onto a DVD-R ?

AVI / MPG / MP4    or what ?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#1]
.iso
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
i think that most modern DVD players will also read vcd, but i've never tried it.  i use a media center PC, so if i D/L my movies i just watch them as is.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
.iso

+1

absolutly easiest to handle. and if they don't want to burn it to a dvd (like if the don't have a dvd burner) they can just use (an older version without the spyware) Deamon tools or image drive or some other cd/dvd emulation device and mount it as a virtual dvd :)
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#4]
does 697.9 MB sound like a typical amount of MB for a movie? the movie in question is Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
unless your downloading a DVD img file for a burning program, you will have to do some work to burn it. meaning converting the format you have to DVD format before burn. which means the orginal was already converted (probaly do something like divx), meaning you will loose alot of picture quality.

dvds are around 4.5gb or so.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
does 697.9 MB sound like a typical amount of MB for a movie? the movie in question is Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Yeah for a compression to mpg or avi.

You'll find most fileshares are .mpg or .avi, personally I wouldn't bother. They quality on fileshares is pretty bad (sometimes worse than VHS). You'd be better off renting the DVD and using DVDShrink to rip it. You will then have a true DVD quality copy (depending upon compression) complete with menus and features.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]

yeah, i have DVD shrink and Nero burning rom, i might as well just rent DVDs cause you never know what youre downloading...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea, that's a normal size for a movie in DIVX or XVid format. It's a near DVD quality codec. It'll play fine in most PCs if you have the codec.

For converting the file into DVD format that a regular DVD player can play. I use WinAVI to convert the file into DVD file format. Then use DVD Shrink (works on top of NERO) to author and burn the DVD image.

For so so movied I leave them in their DIVX XVid formats. As I can squeze 4-5 movies on a regular DVDR. But, if it's a good movie, I'll burn them as a DVD movie on a regular DVDR.

If your using a Torrent app to d/l the movie. Make sure you install/run PeerGuardian 2. It's an IP blocker that will block studios, RIA, MPAA IP addresses...it'll make it less likely for them to connect to your PC if you Torrent. It can save your ass from getting a nasty gram from your ISP..when they track your IP address. PeerGuardian easy to use.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yea, that's a normal size for a movie in DIVX or XVid format. It's a near DVD quality codec. It'll play fine in most PCs if you have the codec.

For converting the file into DVD format that a regular DVD player can play. I use WinAVI to convert the file into DVD file format. Then use DVD Shrink (works on top of NERO) to author and burn the DVD image.

For so so movied I leave them in their DIVX XVid formats. As I can squeze 4-5 movies on a regular DVDR. But, if it's a good movie, I'll burn them as a DVD movie on a regular DVDR.

If your using a Torrent app to d/l the movie. Make sure you install/run PeerGuardian 2. It's an IP blocker that will block studios, RIA, MPAA IP addresses...it'll make it less likely for them to connect to your PC if you Torrent. It can save your ass from getting a nasty gram from your ISP..when they track your IP address. PeerGuardian easy to use.

A LARGE + 1 on Peer Guardian 2!!!!! & Update Often!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I run a Network Address Translation (NAT) hardware firewall at home seperate from any of my PCs.  I occasionally use Azureus to download torrents.

Is the NAT firewall enough protection, or should I also run PeerGuardian 2 when I am using Azureus ?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Is the NAT firewall enough protection, or should I also run PeerGuardian 2 when I am using Azureus ?

NAT only prevents someone from accessing your private network. Your modem is the edge device on your local network and is exposed to the world. Therefore, it is your fingerprint and all activity can be traced back to it.

PeerGuardian is a program that blocks "bad" peers/trackers, such as RIAA spies. This prevents your IP address from showing up on RIAA lists, because you never connect to their entrapment trackers.

So, in short, ALWAYS use PeerGuardian if you are torrenting restricted materials.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.iso

+1

absolutly easiest to handle. and if they don't want to burn it to a dvd (like if the don't have a dvd burner) they can just use (an older version without the spyware) Deamon tools or image drive or some other cd/dvd emulation device and mount it as a virtual dvd :)

I hate it when people post images, 'cuz they're usually DVD9.  Then I've got to bust the image down to the VOBs, IFOs, and BUPs in order to recompress it to DVD5.  Plus, a lot of the time they don't bother to strip out the PUO's when they rip it, which drives me nuts.  Much easier when it's VIDEO_TS to start with.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Divx2DVD is the answer, it does what it says, very easily...I always get GREAT quality 700ish mb files. Look for "DVD rips" or screeners.

I will rent DVDs and DVDShrink them if I want to be certain to have a clear version. I will use no compression and a DL DVD for my favorites.

I also DVDShrink most movies I own so that I can skip and the ads, previews, and FBI warnings at the beginning. And for archive reasons.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I have never been satisfied by the video quality of 700MB or so DivX or VCD rips. But then again, I am not particularly satisfied with DVD quality either.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#16]

ok, so these "nasty grams"   can someone fill me in on these? cause i never heard of them until i started this thread.

is it a threat of civil suit or something?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#17]
read it all here: http://www.videohelp.com/
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#18]
ive copied from DVD to DVD but this is the first time ive tried to download a movie, then copy it onto a DVD-R

ok, so i used Nero burning rom 6  to copy the movie onto the DVD-R.  my DVD player on the TV wont play it it just says "error" when i load the DVD-R into it. but if i put it into my computer itll play the movie just fine.

what did i do wrong? are there codes / blocks that need to be passed up to do this?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#19]
When you have the DVD-R in your computer, take a look at the directory structure.

Does it look something like:
<name of file you downloaded (even though cmjohnson would disapprove and tell you to grow up)>.mpg (or .avi)

...or does it have two folders titled:
Video_TS
Audio_TS

If it looks like the first example, it won't play in your DVD player because it's not in the right format.
If it looks like the second example, there is another problem and we will need more information.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#21]
bah I dont bother with dling movies to many are in glorius  "Shakey Cam!"
just get a netflix account or something simular.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
bah I dont bother with dling movies to many are in glorius  "Shakey Cam!"
just get a netflix account or something simular.

Agreed. NetFlix is the shit.

IBT "OMG-NetFlix-bitches-throttled-me-RAWWRRR!"
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#26]
ok, the movie i downloaded is listed in my computer as a "DivX"  .  and its saved as an MPG im pretty sure.

my computer when i click on the file gives me the option to "compress contents to save disc space"  "encrypt contents to secure data"  and above that says the "file is ready for archiving"

so can anyone tell me how to use nero6  or DVD shrink to burn this onto a DVD-R so i can play it on my tv's DVD player?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#27]
bump
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#28]
^   anyone???  ^
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Did it but don't do it, its a waste of money.

You decode as you rip, then chop and compress.  The time it takes unless you are make minimum wage for a living, you can go out and buy your own copy with money to spare.  

Tj

I'm sorry, but I think you're doing something wrong, or you have an old computer.

I can rip, re-encode and burn a DVD in under 30 minutes. That's 2 DVD's per hour with an average cost of what? $25 each? That's about $50 per hour, after taxes. Not to mention, that's one hour of computer time, it takes about 5 minutes each to get everything set up and then you walk away and come back when it's done. That comes to about 10 minutes of work, for an estimated value of $50.

BTW, just in case anyone is wondering, I'm talking about making legal back-up copies of DVD's that I already own.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
ok, the movie i downloaded is listed in my computer as a "DivX"  .  and its saved as an MPG im pretty sure.

my computer when i click on the file gives me the option to "compress contents to save disc space"  "encrypt contents to secure data"  and above that says the "file is ready for archiving"

so can anyone tell me how to use nero6  or DVD shrink to burn this onto a DVD-R so i can play it on my tv's DVD player?

Dude, seriously, get VSO DivxToDVD. If not, you have to convert the mpg to vob them burn to a DVD. This prog does it all. I got it off shareaza with serial#. This is your answer.

BytetheBullet  (-:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top