Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 5:42:51 PM EDT
I have home PC that is on a cable modem for internet access.
I have a laptop (with wireless network card built in) from work that I currently connect at home using the cable modem through a USB port.
It is kind of senseless connecting and reconnecting computers all the time, and having my home PC not available if I am using the laptop.

What do I need to do to set up a wireless network for my home?
Can someone explain what I need to do to put a wireless network adapter on my cable modem, and plug my home PC into that through USB, and also use my laptop around the house?

Can you point me to an online source for the equipment I need to purchase so I can get it ordered quickly?

And then how can I secure it once I get it put together?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy this. Turn key. Plug the home pc into one of the switch ports and the modem into the wan port.
Very easy to set up and secure through a shared key.
www.buy.com/prod/D_Link_DWL_923_802_11g_54Mbps_Bundle_DI_524_Wireless_Router_and_DWL/q/loc/101/10377179.html

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#2]
www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Category.asp?Category=41

you need the router any one you may wish
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Linksys wireless router. Plug your Pc into it and use the notebook as a wireless. About 70 bucks. Simple to install.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#4]
ORDERED IT.
THANKS.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It's in and working. Thank you for the help.

Now what do I need to do to stop the neighbors, etc... from being able to access it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#6]
goto this webaddress:

A login screen should come up which should be in the manual.  You're looking for "WEP" or wireless Encryption Protocol.

Basically, come up with a phrase and encrypt it.  Now write that long ass number down somewhere.

On your laptop, you can look down at your lower right hand corner of the screen and you should see the wireless icon, right click that and click view available networks.  Find your network and you should see the name of it with a little padlock stating that it's secured.  Click the name and click connect, it will prompt you to enter that long ass number you should have written down.  If you didn't write it down, shame on you, do a few Hail Mary's and do what you were previously told- write down that long ass number.

Once you've entered the long ass number, do it again to confirm.  Hint, type this long ass number on something such as notepad or word or something so that you can just cut and paste.  You won't be able to cut and paste from the prompt.

Once you've entered the long ass number, it should connect to the wireless router and receive an ip address.

Enjoy yourself bitches!!  It's a celebration!  - Rick James
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Negative, Ghostrider, do not use WEP.  Use WPA if your client support it.  Far more secure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top