Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 4:03:14 PM EDT
Thinking about possibly getting out of the military in a couple years and maybe pursuing this field and was wondering what you guys/gals are making? How much right after you get your degree and then get certified? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I will be graduating as an RN in May and there is a rad tech program at the school I attend and it is already filled up until 2008 so I would say that the rad tech field is becoming more interesting to folks here in SE Missouri.  However, if you look at the Sunday paper, there is hardly ever an opening advertised for a rad tech compared to tons of nursing openings.

If you have an interest in the medical field, I would recommend the nursing tract way before I would being a rad tach.  You'll never have to worry about having a job or being very well compensated for doing that job.

I accepted a job offer in January of this year, 4 months before I graduate.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thinking about possibly getting out of the military in a couple years and maybe pursuing this field and was wondering what you guys/gals are making? How much right after you get your degree and then get certified? Thanks.

I just graduated from Rad Tech school last July.   2 year program, fairly easy.  Some areas are tough to get into the schools.  You have a LOT of options once you get out - you can be a Rad Tech, go into Specials (Angio, like heart cath), MRI, Ultrasound, CT, Nuc Med, Rad Therapy, etc.

AK is VERY lucrative - I make around $27 per hour starting with no experience, but that is with no benefits, evening shift differential, and at a large hospital.

In AK, I would figure about the same, maybe even with benes.

My advice - do as much volunteer work as possible at the radiology dept. at a local hospital, and take some evening courses to get your Anatomy and Physiology classes (and any other pre-reqs) out of the way NOW - and do everything you can to get an "A" in those classes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]
my mother is a ultrasound tech, a ekg tech, rdms etc etc, wages in the washington dc area are about 60 k with experance. in the baltimore area they are about 40 k.

go RN in the dc area wages are around 90 k with in a few years, more if you pick up extra shifts. baltimore RN wages are about 70 k

trying to push the wifey to go rn
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I already have a lot of the pre-req's for the degree. About 60 credits total. What school did you graduate from? Hillsbourogh Community by chance? If you were to accept benefits, what would you expect to make an hour?

No way I would be a nurse, that's not for me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I already have a lot of the pre-req's for the degree. About 60 credits total. What school did you graduate from? Hillsbourogh Community by chance? If you were to accept benefits, what would you expect to make an hour?

No way I would be a nurse, that's not for me.

Actually I did my schooling in the Knoxville, TN area and moved down here.

Pay with benes is only $19.66 an hour with the shift diff.

I am MUCH better off not taking benes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top