Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 2:31:30 PM EDT

eh,  my wife kicked me for posting this -- she said I could get sued.   meh.

She's smarter than me so I deleted this post. sorry.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Let her down gently.

"Yes, we will get back to you.  You sound very qualified for this position if you werent a stuck up, pretentious, psycho-neurotic cockwhoring cokehussy.  Thanks for your time. "

Buh-bai.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Vote NO to her.  Education is the key in regards to loaded guns and kids.  Not school programs or NRA litterature, but one on one child parent talk.  It is a complicated issue it does not sound like she did it justice.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If she is a qualified applicant and would otherwise be a good choice for the job, Hire her. Seriously. At least then you can keep her in check or work on converting her. If you dont hire her because of her views on guns she will find employment elsewhere....probably where they agree with her. By doing so you create a stronger coven of antis.

Always remember, arguing with antis doesnt tend to work, being mean to them doesnt tend to work, casting them to the side probably hurts us.....but most everyone smiles when the pull the trigger. No talk, just action. Take an anti shooting.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd tell her  that I wouldn't hire her even if she put a gun to my head.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#5]

So what was her research specifically about?  I have a hard time seeing how those research questions translate to an experimental psych lab setting.  Sounds more like survey research to me.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So what was her research specifically about?  I have a hard time seeing how those research questions translate to an experimental psych lab setting.  Sounds more like survey research to me.

You're right it is tough to do in a lab, but I'll attach a link to an interesting study (not done by job candidate) that is a good example.  

She's still doing survery research to better understand the culture of American gun ownership so that it may inform experimental research.  One could do experiments in the field --  two groups of gun owners get different types of safety training and then do some followup research, etc.  

Here's an abstract of an interesting lab study with kids and guns.  I have the PDF file I can send anyone. I got it off the Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis website..

Michael B. Himle, Raymond G. Miltenberger, Christopher Flessner, & Brian Gatheridge (2004). Teaching safety skills to children to prevent gun play. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 37, 1-9.

Research has shown that children often engage in gun play when they find a firearm and that this behavior is often involved in unintentional firearm injuries. Previous research has shown existing programs to be ineffective for teaching children safety skills to reduce gun play. This study examined the effectiveness of a behavioral skills training (BST) program supplemented with in situ training for teaching children safety skills to use when they find a gun (i.e., don't touch, leave the area, tell an adult). Eight 4- to 5-year-old children were trained and assessed in a naturalistic setting and in a generalized setting in a multiple baseline across subjects design. Results showed that 3 of the children performed the skills after receiving BST, whereas 5 of the children required supplemental in situ training. All children in the study learned to perform the skills when assessed in a naturalistic setting and when assessed in a generalization setting. Performance was maintained at 2- to 8-week follow-up assessments.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Man, tell your wife you are looking at pr0n, not ARFCOM.  It works in my house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top