Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 11:18:36 AM EDT
Mauser's just over four and a half months old now. I don't have any current pictures but he's darkened up quite a bit. Dark face and body, but still an all blonde mane. He's growing into his big feet too. I weighed him last night and he was at 62 pounds and stands 24-25 at the shoulder.

Last night was also his first 'class'. I'm taking him to the greater Kansas City dog training club. It's a very reputable place and they are well known in the local area. Of course he was the biggest dog in the group of about 8. Also we sat down next to an older man with some toy breed that probably didn't weigh 4 pounds. The poor thing just hid in his lap the whole time. There were 3 other American/German shepherds there, a couple mutts, and a yellow lab. This is the basic puppy class for 3-6 month olds and I think is a review for us. The only thing that Mauser and I need to work on is his attention span and looking me in the eyes during training. 3 more weeks of that, then on to beginner, novice, etc.. I'd like to get his good canine citizen in the end. I did have quite a few people come up to me after the class to ask his age and breed. They were real impressed at how calm he was. Most of the other dogs were yelping, and excited. Mauser either sat or layed at my feet the entire time we weren't doing exercises. The trainers there also commented and thought he was a well behaved little giant and impressed with him.

Socialization is going well too. We make a trip to petsmart/petco once or twice a week for a .99 cent pig ear and to look at the other dogs and let all the kids come up to pet him. Still too cold out for the parks, but we've hit some trails when I have time. He also has a best friend, which is my girlfriend's chesapeake/lab mix. They're now the same size and play well. Her dog "Bo" is definately not dominant (fixed, as well as came from an abusive home) so I'm not worried about dominance issues as they grow up together and Mauser goes from puppy to DOG.

Other than that, he likes to eat. Mauser's also become a pretty good retriever. He'll bring the tennis ball back to me every time until he wears himself out. Still hasn't chewed up any furniture. Has lost his front baby teeth on top and bottom. His front top teeth are bigger than his baby canines! My mother's cats still intimidate him. He won't walk past one in the same hall, as they'll stand on end and bat him with their paws in play. He'll chase them around and whine so loud it sounds like he's broken a leg, trying to play with them.

Finally, I've got a question. Mauser's growth weight is averaging 13lbs/month. He's eating 2 heaping cups of food 3 times per day. Morning suppliments include the pill and powder that the great dane lady recommends, I forget the names. So at 65lbs at the end of March, and 13lbs/month this is going to put another 91lbs on him by his 1st birthday, or 156lbs. This has to be way off! When will his growth slow down? Is he getting too big too fast? He eats all his food everyday and not an ounce of fat on him. We can still see about 5 ribs or so on each side.

He's going to be HUGE!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any recent pics, but will get some up as soon as possible..

By the way,  he is a Shiloh Shepherd.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#2]
It sounds like you have the right ideas.  It went well with my first GS dog.  Blackie is 15 months old now and 120 lbs.  She is a HANDFUL.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Mauser's just over four and a half months old now. I don't have any current pictures but he's darkened up quite a bit. Dark face and body, but still an all blonde mane. He's growing into his big feet too. I weighed him last night and he was at 62 pounds and stands 24-25 at the shoulder.

Last night was also his first 'class'. I'm taking him to the greater Kansas City dog training club. It's a very reputable place and they are well known in the local area. Of course he was the biggest dog in the group of about 8. Also we sat down next to an older man with some toy breed that probably didn't weigh 4 pounds. The poor thing just hid in his lap the whole time. There were 3 other American/German shepherds there, a couple mutts, and a yellow lab. This is the basic puppy class for 3-6 month olds and I think is a review for us. The only thing that Mauser and I need to work on is his attention span and looking me in the eyes during training. 3 more weeks of that, then on to beginner, novice, etc.. I'd like to get his good canine citizen in the end. I did have quite a few people come up to me after the class to ask his age and breed. They were real impressed at how calm he was. Most of the other dogs were yelping, and excited. Mauser either sat or layed at my feet the entire time we weren't doing exercises. The trainers there also commented and thought he was a well behaved little giant and impressed with him.

Socialization is going well too. We make a trip to petsmart/petco once or twice a week for a .99 cent pig ear and to look at the other dogs and let all the kids come up to pet him. Still too cold out for the parks, but we've hit some trails when I have time. He also has a best friend, which is my girlfriend's chesapeake/lab mix. They're now the same size and play well. Her dog "Bo" is definately not dominant (fixed, as well as came from an abusive home) so I'm not worried about dominance issues as they grow up together and Mauser goes from puppy to DOG.

Other than that, he likes to eat. Mauser's also become a pretty good retriever. He'll bring the tennis ball back to me every time until he wears himself out. Still hasn't chewed up any furniture. Has lost his front baby teeth on top and bottom. His front top teeth are bigger than his baby canines! My mother's cats still intimidate him. He won't walk past one in the same hall, as they'll stand on end and bat him with their paws in play. He'll chase them around and whine so loud it sounds like he's broken a leg, trying to play with them.

Finally, I've got a question. Mauser's growth weight is averaging 13lbs/month. He's eating 2 heaping cups of food 3 times per day. Morning suppliments include the pill and powder that the great dane lady recommends, I forget the names. So at 65lbs at the end of March, and 13lbs/month this is going to put another 91lbs on him by his 1st birthday, or 156lbs. This has to be way off! When will his growth slow down? Is he getting too big too fast? He eats all his food everyday and not an ounce of fat on him. We can still see about 5 ribs or so on each side.

He's going to be HUGE!

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks to Mauser I was very openminded when me and my wife went into Petsmart to LOOK at the aminals.

We took home an 8 month old Rott'an German Shepherd fixed female. She is great.
23 inches at the shoulder and around 53 lbs. She probably won't get much bigger but she has great muscle development, very strong.

POST PICS!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully we can get some good weather this weekend and get him out in the yard to get some pics.  He looks nothing like he did a few months ago.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top