Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 11:14:15 AM EDT
Does it seem like people are on edge more than "usual?"

Look at the Pittsburgh "sniper", the constant news about Bird Flu, the standard terror alert threats...

I won't say "seems like something big is going to happen" but it DOES seem to me like people are on edge. The zeitgeist at the moment seems to be one of anticipation of something crappy.

When Target sells "Emergency Preparedness Kits", you know something's up!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The world is having a "heavy flow".
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Look at the Pittsburgh "sniper", the constant news about Bird Flu, the standard terror alert threats...

I won't say "seems like something big is going to happen" but it DOES seem to me like people are on edge. The zeitgeist at the moment seems to be one of anticipation of something crappy.

The ER kits are located right next to their new line of tin foil umbrellas
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#3]

yes dammit !!!!  

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Then there's the folks who get their panties in a wad because someone wants to check their receipt on the way out of Best Buy.

Oh, the horror!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Know what's funny, I don't feel it this time. I occasionally get vague feelings of dread that are hard to shake. I'll be honest with you, I am excited about Spring coming . I don't care what happens, I just want some sunshine and warmth.

(it didn't keep me from voting "yes" though )
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Then there's the folks who get their panties in a wad because someone wants to check their receipt on the way out of Best Buy.

Oh, the horror!

Or someone walks on their lawn.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Both the media and politicians benefit from having the population in a constant state of fear, so they both collaborate to foster that fear.  
I'm not "on edge".  I'm "calm and ready".
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
yes dammit !!!!  

Or burns their wooden shoes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm REALLY, REALLY, feeling the need to buy cases of ammo
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Both the media and politicians benefit from having the population in a constant state of fear, so they both collaborate to foster that fear.  
I'm not "on edge".  I'm "calm and ready".

Way to be.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I AM NOT ON EDGE, DAMMIT.
[deep calming breaths]  what makes you think i'm on edge?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#13]
No.  Something infinitely worse.  

Most of here would come out on top in a real SHTF.

Yes, I do anticipate the absolute destruction of "my" civilisation.  But by increments.

Like when I first heard a (large hardware store) announcement in both English then Spanish.

Then in Spanish before English.

Death by inches.

How I wish it were not so.

"Espero que no sera'"
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I just spent my day off cleaning guns and loading 37 AR15, 24 M1A mags and 40 CETME magazines into loadout gear  and grab-and-go buckets...

But for the life of me I can't tell you why,  So you probably don't want to ask me.

"Be prepared" ...Boy Scout motto.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#15]
don't forget SARS and global warming
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

isn't target owned by a french company? If so I can only imagine what their emergeny preparedness kits look like:

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#17]
March is the month when the Earth gets her period. At least in the northern hemisphere.  I always hated working March with all the whiny demanding bullshit people pulled. I made it a habit of taking 2 weeks vacation end of March to avoid them all.

March is worse than the holidays.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, stress Stress STRESS!!! It's Everywhere! I'm gonna snap!

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe it is all the result of an intentional mass mind control; influencing the thoughts and actions of the populace by controlling what they see and hear.  The mainstream media has been doing it for years.  Some people are more easily influenced than others, and it shows.  

Be that as it may, I personally have this sense of impending doom.  Hard to characterize it, and I dunno where it's coming from.  It's just there.  Perhaps it's because retirement is close by.  Or perhaps it's because I'm confronted with the deterioration of american society every time I step out of the house...

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Thinking happy thoughts now.  Belay my last...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Between the Muslim, the West Nile Virus, Avian Bird Flu, North Korea, & Mad Cow disease, and sky high metal prices there is a distinct possibility something very interesting is going to happen.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I think I'm feeling the same, but I'm always on alert, too.  No differences that I've noticed, but I do get up every morning wondering if the SHTF overnight.  

I actually come here 1st for my news...if it's not on ARFCOM then it didn't happen!  

HH
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Nope!  I'm high on life!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
March is the month when the Earth gets her period. At least in the northern hemisphere.  I always hated working March with all the whiny demanding bullshit people pulled. I made it a habit of taking 2 weeks vacation end of March to avoid them all.

I agree. March has a very high suck factor.

I'm on edge, but it could just be PMS.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I was fine until the exit nazi at Best Buy attacked me.  Now I'm messed for life.

But that's a different topic.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I was fine until the exit nazi at Best Buy attacked me.  Now I'm messed for life.

Let it go, hon.  It'll be ok.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

*Slaps forehead*

How could I forget! The Ides of March! It was a week ago but might explain SOME of it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not letting it go until I reach 500.

By the way, its tax time and many successful people are awaiting that call from the CPA.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

By the way, its tax time and many successful people are awaiting that call from the CPA.

you're getting there, why don't you go to the EE and bump some threads for people?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you're getting there, why don't you go to the EE and bump some threads for people?

Hmmmm, sounds tempting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top