Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 8:02:09 AM EDT
I'm not a huge fan of the show, but my wife watches it religiously, so I end up watching it more often than not.  (yeah yeah, I know.......  the show is  "teh ghey" )

The singers are pretty good, but there really aren't many "standouts".

No so last night. Chris Daughtry did a rock version of Johnny Cash's "Walk the Line" and it was frackin' incredible !  It was the only one of the performances the really stood out from the rest. It sounded like it could be a hit on the radio right now.

Anybody else catch it ?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife likes it. I usually read while the show is on so I don't catch their stupid schtick (Salvaging Man Points: I was reading Shotgun News). I've seen that Chris Daughtry from the start- he's the real deal. I'd buy an album from him. He's done some great tunes on the show.

At first I wasn't crazy about the rendition of Walk the Line since I love the original so much. But he rocked that one.

I also enjoy the gray haired guy.

I still shake my head over how serious people get about it but if nobody's getting hurt, who cares? Beats watching someone vomit up worms on "Fear Factor". Plus, it's fun watching the first few episodes when the really sucky people are on making mega-idiots of themselves.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Catchy tune the way he did it.
It was the only song last night that didn't sound just like a karaoke performance or old radio tune
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been watching most every week just for this guy.  Nearly every song he does sounds like it could be a hit and he changes them all to make 'em his own.  By far he has more potential IMO than any of the others.  Even if he doesn't win... expect to see his stuff coming out.

Like Paula said, he already sounds like he should be on tour.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm not a huge fan of the show, but my wife watches it religiously, so I end up watching it more often than not.  (yeah yeah, I know.......  the show is  "teh ghey" )

No so last night. Chris Daughtry did a rock version of Johnny Cash's "Walk the Line" and it was frackin' incredible !  It was the only one of the performances the really stood out from the rest. It sounded like it could be a hit on the radio right now.

Anybody else catch it ?

I flaked out on the sofa and turned on the TV just in time for AI last night. Chris Daughtry was pretty amazing. Even hubby, who thinks it's the dumbest crap imaginable, thought he rocked. The rest of them are like a bad night at the local Karaoke bar.

I love the beginning of the season when it's all the whackos and Simon insults them, but lose interest later on when it gets all serious.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife watches it, which means that I at least hear it.

That Daughtry guy is at the top of his game.  Every week he belts out a tune that you would think was a studio recording that took many many attempts.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I even called up and voted for him last night.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife & daughter watch it.  I lost interest after the auditions.  There's something about the show at that point that's very entertaining.  Kinda like watching a series of train wrecks.

When it comes to Chris, they ought to just sign him up and cancel the rest of the shows for the season.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#8]
That McPhee girl....yeah....that one.....whew!!!!!

roy d....I likey
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think, as far as last night goes, that she needs to spend less effort making love to the camera, and more effort on the vocals.

She is quite hot for a chunky chick.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#10]
It's funny how everyone's "wife" watches it.....

ETA:  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

roy d....I likey

Until last night, I was never able to move my eyes in different directions.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#12]
It's true..  

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Man cards.

All of you (except Ginger).

Turn them in.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

ETA:  

I'll admit, I pulled my eyes out of the SGN long enough to see McPhee and the Pickler girl sing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#15]
BTW Does anyone bug you as much as that Ass Young guy???
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Man cards.

All of you (except Ginger).

Turn them in.

MOLON LABE!

You walked into that one dude.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
BTW Does anyone bug you as much as that Ass Young guy???

Ace Young was in the bottom 3 last week, and I seriously hope he gets voted off soon......

And Katharine McPhee........ WOW !  She's a hottie !

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think, as far as last night goes, that she needs to spend less effort making love to the camera, and more effort on the vocals.

She is quite hot for a chunky chick.

Chunky??? she ain't chunky.  What do you want a skeleton?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Paris, Mandesa, Doughtrey, Hicks, Yamin are the best.  Pickler is good with the right song.

I am pulling for Yamin.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Anybody else catch it ?

Chris is just in a much higher level than the rest.  He will make a fortune after he wins the whole thing, but the top 7 or so will also make a bunch of money.

It's just that Chris is head and shoulders above the rest...he's a true star.

HH
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

ETA:  

LOL Yeah, no shit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Ya, my "wife" watches it too.

Anyway, I thought that Chris guy did a great job on Walk The Line. At first, I was a bit nervous in anticipation of somebody completely trashing a classic, but I was pleasantly suprised to the contrary.

In a way, it made perfect sense. The way Chris did it really brought new meaning to the lyrics. Further, it wouldn't have made any sense whatsoever to perform the song as Cash did it. After all, Cash covered ALOT of rock songs, and ALWAYS did them his own way. He covered Danzig's "Thirteen", NIN's "Hurt", Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage", Nick Cave's "Mercy Seat", etc. He did every one of these songs his own way, without pretending to be somebody he wasn't. He picked some very dark songs, and made them his own. When Reznor sings "Hurt", it sounds like a whiney electronica emo bitching. When Cash - an old man with health problems and a dying wife did it, it gave the whole song new meaning to me. It was sad, really.

So the fact that Chris changed the song so much is really a tribute to the man he was covering. Johnny wouldn't have it any other way. He really captured the essense of that song. I never thought I'd say this (It's American Idol, for God's sake), but if that guy ends up getting a record contract, I'll buy his first album. Here's to hoping he's allowed to remain creative when that happens.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I hate American Idol, and I have to hear all about Bucky Covington. He is from the town I live in, and I would imagine that about 95% of the people in this town would give him a blowjob if he was walking down the street. I see Bucky shirts, signs, and everyone chanting "Vote For Bucky", this season is the worst because I can't just ignore the stupid show.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I watched American Idol. I like that show.

Kevin Covais, teenager who looks like Chicken Little, shouldn't even have made it into the competition. But, I think he can make some big money doing stuff for Disney or Nickelodeon.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Anybody have it on the 'net?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I just checked their website ... they have a video player of some sort but it wouldn't work with my browser.

It didn't appear that they had JUST Daughtry's stuff either... it's probably a medley. But look at it this way, at least you wouldn't be sitting through the whole show!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#28]
BTW does it seem to anyone else like the band won't play as well for some of the contestants as others? They were great for a few of them, and hardly showed up for others.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Haven't found it yet, still looking for last weeks performance by Chris
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

ETA:  

Hey!  I just happened to be passing through the room!  Really!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I hate American Idol, and I have to hear all about Bucky Covington. He is from the town I live in, and I would imagine that about 95% of the people in this town would give him a blowjob if he was walking down the street. I see Bucky shirts, signs, and everyone chanting "Vote For Bucky", this season is the worst because I can't just ignore the stupid show.

No shit.  It's fucking pathetic.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:  

Hey!  I just happened to be passing through the room!  Really!

My hubby is usually on here, while looking through to the living room and critiquing whatever I happen to be watching.

He likes McVee's bouncers too.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have the mp3 here

siebrecht.us/~grant/forums/ar15/

Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have the mp3 here

Thank you!

+1
been looking for that all day.
You don't happen to have last weeks, do you?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have the mp3 here

Thanks, Grant! Much appreciated!

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Bucky wasn't as good as the others, just kind of pluffed out toward the end.  The big black girl was pretty good, and the young one was great.  Shows what winnowing out and coaching at a professional level can do.

Bucky could get canned and not be missed.

The "I Walk the Line" was fantastic. He had to have a lot of confidence to even think of taking on that song.  It's so associated with Johnny Cash and his style.  Most of the others seemed to take the old classic and sang them in more classic manners.

Did I watch it? not really, could see the tv from the computer.  No doubt most of the remaining candidates are going to be pretty damn good by now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:58:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have the mp3 here

Awesome! Thanks!

That's going on my iPod.

Bucky will be the next to go, methinks.

eta; I was surprised he didn't get sent home last night.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:27:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:34:23 AM EDT
[#39]
^  that girl should shut up before somebody finds out she's stupid.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:08:04 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I have the mp3 here

Thank you for hosting that, BUT...

Ugh! I couldn't even finish it

BALETED!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:49:55 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I think the cat's already out of the bag on that one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Did he do the "walk the line" version that the band LIVE has on their greatest hits?  Don't have the album but may be worth looking into..

In 2004, LIVE released a greatest hits album that included alternate takes, a previously unreleased song from the Throwing Copper sessions, and a cover of Johnny Cash's “I Walk the Line.”

Co-worker said was the same.  Anyone know?

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

TOO LATE!!

Dumb as a bag o' hammers.

"Pickler"?

"Hell, I hardly knew her!"
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Did he do the "walk the line" version that the band LIVE has on their greatest hits?  Don't have the album but may be worth looking into..

In 2004, LIVE released a greatest hits album that included alternate takes, a previously unreleased song from the Throwing Copper sessions, and a cover of Johnny Cash's “I Walk the Line.”

Co-worker said was the same.  Anyone know?

Interesting. I told my wife (who incidentally watches the show) that he sounded like LIVE. Fine with me--I like LIVE.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#46]
You want a real rocking cover of a Cash tune? Look up Social Distortion's cover of "Ring of Fire".

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Rockingham?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I watch American Idol every week. In fact, it's the only network program that I do watch. Chris Daughtry is going to win IMHO and the McPhee girl will come in second place.  Both are great singers and performers.

This is my second year of watching this show. I like it. It's not for everybody though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top