Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 7:56:20 PM EDT
I don't need a GPS for finding my favorite fishing hole.  I've got that covered.

My job takes me all over Georgia and the southeast, and I have to go into the boondocks daily.  I also go into large population centers daily that have new subdivisions every where.  My job takes me to five to seven new addresses every day...which I have never been to.

I need the best device to get me there.  Units that plug into my computer won't work.  Other guys in my office have them and say they will tell you to turn on _____ Rd....5 miles after you have passed it.  The map programs won't work because some the areas I work are growing so fast that those programs will not keep up.

So....I need the best.  In my profession...time really is money.

If any of you have experience in the area, I'd appreciate some advice.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
My favorite: www.garmin.com/products/iQueM5/

The main issue is the new subdivisions.  GPS's are only as good as the latest database update.  Garmin uses Mapsource CitySelect.  I ran into a few problems with new roads not listed.  It's always a good idea to waypoint your destinations before leaving the office.  If the GPS can't find it, I try Microsoft Mappoint,  and then make a waypoint on the GPS' map accordingly.

My coworkers have had bad surprises with hard-disk based GPS units.  The RAM based systems are more durable in a car environment.  

A bad GPS is like a cheap parachute!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:01:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you gents.  I appreciate your time.  

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:02:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Magellan Roadmate 300 - $300 refurbed & warranteed off ebay.

FREE $50 SD car preloaded with regional detailed maps, your choice of locations

GREAT unit.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:09:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Magellan and the main problem is what is going to be the biggest problem for you.

Because of how new the subs are, they may not be in the map data base.

You will just see an empty white field.

Thats quite common.

My condo which is 2-3 years old is not on the most recent map data base.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the Garmin iQue M5.

Mine has never let me down.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:16:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a Magellan for quite some time, and then bought a Garmin.

I don't even know where the Mag is anymore.

Try BestPriceGps.com for a deal.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:16:44 AM EDT
[#8]
just dont buy the "tomtom"
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I love my Mircrosoft streets and trips with GPS. Its cheap, and has a bigger screen (your laptop) than other GPS units
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:25:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been happy with my Garmin.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Why is that?  A friend actually said I should look at the tom tom.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is that?  A friend actually said I should look at the tom tom.

While the '3D' display is cool, and less cluttered than the Garmin '2D' map display, the TomTom interface for finding a specific address sucks.

Garmin's address and Point of Interest [POI] finder is very effective.  Bring some real addresses with you to the store to test-drive your work day using the device.  

Again, the Garmin interface is more for planning your day while stationary, then fast-picking the waypoints from your 'My Locations' POI list.  The TomTom is a touchscreen with finger-sized buttons.  I think the Garmin is more suited to business use, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#13]
that and its rated as 1 of the WORST displays to be able to see in your car.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I gotta give my definite vote for TomTom for road travel.  I've used Garmin & Magellan trail units, and the TomTom is awesome.

I can't speak for Garmin's TomTom copy however, it may be just as good.

I've used my TomTom to go from Memphis to Orlando, FL, to Gulfport, To Gatlinburg, TN and everywhere in between.  It has saved me many a time and is so easy to use.

Not to mention the map is on an SD card so you can just download new ones to it, plug it in, and you're good to go.

No complaints about the TomTom for me and I've used it for probably... errr... 10K miles of actual use.  I travel quite a bit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I gotta give my definite vote for TomTom for road travel.  I've used Garmin & Magellan trail units, and the TomTom is awesome.

I can't speak for Garmin's TomTom copy however, it may be just as good.

I've used my TomTom to go from Memphis to Orlando, FL, to Gulfport, To Gatlinburg, TN and everywhere in between.  It has saved me many a time and is so easy to use.

Not to mention the map is on an SD card so you can just download new ones to it, plug it in, and you're good to go.

No complaints about the TomTom for me and I've used it for probably... errr... 10K miles of actual use.  I travel quite a bit.

I take it you use it with your pda/phone since you download to an SD card, right?

I have a Treo 650 and have been thinking strongly about getting a tom tom.  It seems so handy

to be able to put that blueberry gps in my pocket and have it available just about all the time.

I need a gps unit in my hands by next Wed so I need to make a choice very soon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Magellan Roadmate 300 - $300 refurbed & warranteed off ebay.

FREE $50 SD car preloaded with regional detailed maps, your choice of locations

GREAT unit.

www.magellangps.com/en/products/getProdImage.asp?PRODID=1038&ATTR=ProductImageLarge

+1...just picked one up for $299.97 at Walmart the other day...using it in my patrol car...it kicks ass!!! I guess you could buy a more expensive unit but I really don't see the need. It's packed with a ton of features...

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a delorme that plugs into the USB port on my laptop. I need a  huge screen that even I can see with my piss poor vision.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top