Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 5:30:43 PM EDT
Will switching bolts on your AR really mess up the gun reliability?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#1]
not that im saying do it, but i've never had a problem.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
as long as it's mil spec it shouldnt matter.  if it's some aftermarket cutsom jobbie.... YMMV
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
well im not sure what you mean mil spec . I got a RR upper and lower with a 14.5 Bushy barrel with a bushy bolt and carrier. I wanted to put a RR bolt in it but i have already fired about 50 rds with the bushy bolt in it and have heard rumors of bad things to come with bolt swaps
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#4]
What's an AR?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
had an issue with a chrome bolt getting  flecks fouling up the ejector mech,worked it and had no further prob. Several of my ARs have had mixed and mismatched bolts with absolutely no issues....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
With only 50 rds fired I personally wouldn't worry about it.

If it was a few thousand then there would probably be 'mating' issues between the new bolt and the old lugs.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard military armorers say they take all the bolts out of all the units rifles and dont care which rifle they go back in.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#8]
When Dad was in the AF they would take apart all the rifles that were shot that day and throw the parts in cleaning product and when they reassembled them they didnt care which part came from what rifle
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've heard military armorers say they take all the bolts out of all the units rifles and dont care which rifle they go back in.

in iraq i had to do controled substitutions like that,

a broken reciever, a good reciever with a messed up bolt,,,you do the math.

and im talkin about original issue a2s, 1000's of rounds on em.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There you have it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
as long as it's mil spec it shouldnt matter.  if it's some aftermarket cutsom jobbie.... YMMV

"Mil Spec" is an industry term.

In the military, when you are talking about M-16s/M4s then "mil spec" means something.

But as the Army has yet to adopt the AR-15 (except for that original Stoner design) a "mil spec" AR-15 is sorta like a "NASA spec" Go Kart.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What's an AR?

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many of those M16's were missing the "Happy Parts"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top