Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 4:48:29 PM EDT
Mar. 21, 2006
Sebelius vetoes concealed weapons bill

TOPEKA — Gov. Kathleen Sebelius vetoed a bill today that would allow Kansans to carry concealed weapons, setting up a face-off with lawmakers already vowing to attempt to overrule her.

It’s uncertain whether the majority of lawmakers who support the bill can meet the two-thirds votes required to override a gubernatorial veto, which was widely expected. An attempt in the Senate is expected as early as today.

Sebelius, who vetoed a similar proposal in 2004, wrote in her veto message that she “cannot support allowing hidden weapons into businesses, restaurants, malls and any number of other public places.”

Overriding the veto would take two-thirds of both the House and Senate: 84 House members and 27 senators. Last week, the House approved the bill 90-33. The Senate passed the bill last month 29-11.

If those votes hold, the Legislature can override the veto. But lawmakers — particularly Democrats — will be under pressure from Sebelius to let her veto stand. Already, some Democrats in the Senate have said they’ll stand by the governor’s decision.

Kansas lawmakers repeatedly have passed similar measures that have met vetoes — in 2004 by Sebelius, a Democrat, and in 1997 by Republican Bill Graves.

www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14153501.htm
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
And I thought KS was a nice place....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know what the fuck we can do.  WE have passed this three times and each time a stinking fucking commie peice of shit vetoed it, one R and one D.  It doesn't matter.  I sent this bitch an email last time asking why she thinks kansas are going to start shooting the shit out of eachother when 36 other states are using these laws just fine and I never got a reply.   I hate that know it all bitch and that stupid fucker that served before her.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't know what the fuck we can do.  WE have passed this three times and each time a stinking fucking commie peice of shit vetoed it, one R and one D.  It doesn't matter.  I sent this bitch an email last time asking why she thinks kansas are going to start shooting the shit out of eachother when 36 other states are using these laws just fine and I never got a reply.   I hate that know it all bitch and that stupid fucker that served before her.

38 states are apparently a bloodbath waiting to happen, not 36

good luck to you guys
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Sillybus........no way.  I never saw that coming.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#6]
So she supports criminals being the only ones carrying "hidden weapons into businesses, restaurants, malls and any number of other public places.”

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]
what a dumb whore...seriously, she is not the voice of the people. Thats what the legislature is for...bitch needs to get that through her fucking head.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone knew she would veto the bill, I just hope for you KS guys that they can retain enough support to override it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Ma Richards did the same thing in Texas and we voted her ass out the first time we could.  GW said, sure I will sign the bill when he was elected.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#10]
dammit man, screw that commie bitch and all of her uber-liberal fish eating friends.

i have no idea how she got elected (im betting the 3 city liberal base) but she needs to go.

i hope they over ride the veto. this is ridiculus
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
dammit man, screw that commie bitch and all of her uber-liberal fish eating friends.

i have no idea how she got elected (im betting the 3 city liberal base) but she needs to go.

WTF does fish have to do with uber-liberal commie bitches?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So she supports criminals being the only ones carrying "hidden weapons into businesses, restaurants, malls and any number of other public places.”

+1. You all need to get one cause Im moving up to SD and every state that I have to drive thru   to get there I can carry. Yours I can't. I might have to detour around it.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF does fish have to do with uber-liberal commie bitches?

its a thinly veiled reference to the possibility of her not being a woman who likes men.

and a phrase i blurt out sometimes when im pissed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#14]
What a wench.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#15]
On the news its say one of her reasons for vetoing it... that the bill said carrying should not allowed in the senate building... so they pushed for more places where carrying is not allowed, then when they get that they use it as a reason for vetoing it?? She said it shows even the senators who voted yes are afraid of concealed carry
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Republicans running the worst possible hard right-wing candidate while the Democrats run a perfectly normal moderate Democrat.

Thank the Kansas Republican Party, who chose Shallenberger (unelectable) over Kerr (would have beaten Sebilius).  They knew Kerr would have had a very good chance at winning over Sebilius, and they knew Shallenberger couldn't win, but they ran Shallenberger anyway.

The Hard-R Republicans like Shallenberger and Kline are handing Kansas to the Democrats more and more every year.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#17]
at least you can get yours passed we have had tons of  governors said they would sign it but it never gets there

I am getting so fucking tired of middle america
Texas Nevada Arizona and Florida look better everyday
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#18]
keep us updated.  I wanna know if they can force this through.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Of course this is the same state where they have promised to harrass you if you open carry, and possibly slap you with a disorderly conduct charge for it too.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#20]
It's not over yet.  I hope you guys can secure the override.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
And I thought KS was a nice place....

You've obviously not been there!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Here hoping for an override...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Next time maybe they'll vote in a thinking man, instead of a feeling woman.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
at least you can get yours passed we have had tons of  governors said they would sign it but it never gets there

I am getting so fucking tired of middle america
Texas Nevada Arizona and Florida look better everyday

zactly!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, Kansas politics is a funny business right now.  The Republicans seeking power are so far to the right they make the Iranian leaders look like rational people.  Republican power in this state is less about rights and more about "preacher power" than anything else and its fucking disgusting.  Its pretty sad when you have to vote Democrat to keep this state in the 21st century.  I know of no bigger assbag than our AG, Phill Kline.  Remember, we're the state that harbors Fred Phelps and want the younguns to learn their science from Genesis.

Other than that, I love this state.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#26]
From my understanding, an override is very possible. does anybody know when we get the results of the vote or "override"???? I still have my fingers crossed for it
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Governor Syphilis stands for criminal rights once again. This really sucks. I emailed the bitch and called her office and talked to an aid supporting the bill. Talked to my state rep. about the bill which he supported. That bitch has got to go.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Our last "thinking man", Bill Graves, also vetoed CCW.  I have particular animosity towards him for this, because when he was the Secretary of State, my high school Young Republicans group invited him to speak with us.  I asked him directly about CCW, and he did a masterful job of answering without actually answering.  Pressing him on the issue was like trying to catch a greased pig.

I don't care what race, gender, or any other qualification our next governor is, so long as he/she/it makes decisions that are actually in the best interest of the Kansas People.  On this issue, neither of our last two governors--the democrat woman or the republican man--have supported the People.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:20:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our last "thinking man", Bill Graves, also vetoed CCW.  I have particular animosity towards him for this, because when he was the Secretary of State, my high school Young Republicans group invited him to speak with us.  I asked him directly about CCW, and he did a masterful job of answering without actually answering.  Pressing him on the issue was like trying to catch a greased pig.

I don't care what race, gender, or any other qualification our next governor is, so long as he/she/it makes decisions that are actually in the best interest of the Kansas People.  On this issue, neither of our last two governors--the democrat woman or the republican man--have supported the People.

Jim

We the people get screwed one way or another everytime this comes up.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:25:19 AM EDT
[#30]
What is the world coming to when KS has less gun freedom than here in MA?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top