Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 12:29:49 PM EDT
Today is day two of what i can only guess are migraine headaches. Yesterday morning i woke up and felt this tremendous pain behind my left eye and above my upper jawline. I thought maybe it was a impacted tooth or something but it seemed odd that it would come on so fast. It hurt so badly and in such a odd place that i vomited three times durng the day. My wife talked to he rmother who gets migraines and she recommended a cold compress, bayer aspirin and darkness. I was doing the last item all day by hding under the covers. I was feeling almost normal by 11ish last night and was eating etc around then.
This morning it began again but on my right side of ym head in the opposite locations. No vomiting although i do have some nausea. I tried the bayer and it helped a tiny bit but i am still feeling like shit. ANyone got any cures for a bad headache? None involving shooting please?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
anybody?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I asked about migraines a few weeks back..lots of info

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=435583
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#3]
you're gonna die.... can i have your guns?

the tooth thing might not be far off, but if it switched sides, i doubt it.  probably somethng else.  if it continues, you should probably get it checked out, but usually it's just something you have to sit out
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#4]
That doesn't exactly sound like a migraine. It sounds like something more serious. Luckily I get migraines rarely, maybe only like 3 or 4 times before. They usually start out with my vision getting messed up followed by a rather severe headache. I've never had one last more than a few hours and never for more than 1 day.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, it sounds EXACTLY like the migraines I get.

Excedrin migraine will do wonders, until you decide you need prescription strength.

I'm on relpax, which work really great.  But they should at 5.00 a pill.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have migraines also, ice packs works best for me.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Get some Excedrin Migraine OTC at your local pharmacy. I get a  migraine about every 2 weeks and this stuff works real well for me. After my second visit to see the doc, doc told me a little trade secret that the excedrin product is as good as a lot of the stuff that she can prescribe. The only thing that I can't get OTC is the anti-nausea meds that work OK.

Good luck.....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Or go to your doctor for a Imitrex or something similiar, it works wonders. I feel your pain, because I get it sometimes, but without the puking.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Or go to your doctor for a Imitrex or something similiar, it works wonders. I feel your pain, because I get it sometimes, but without the puking.

+1 on the Imitrex

It's not for long term use the you receive it as a one shot nasal inhaler and it tones the migraine down to a low roar in less than a minute.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I take Midrin and advil. Normal otc meds do not work for me. Wish you luck.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#11]
If it is a migraine or a cluster headache or any of the other vascular types, there are many good drugs, Imitrex being the best in my opinion, it is a vascular restrictor and reduces cranial conective tissue blood vessels back to proper size thus eliminating the pain very quickly and completely. Better see a doc if it keeps up though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Excedrin migraine will do wonders, until you decide you need prescription strength.

Excedrin migraine seems to work well for my wife too.  Just don't compare the "Excedrine Migraine" lable with the regular "Excedrine" label.  Otherwise you might just notice that the ingredients are the exact same.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#13]
If you smoke quit. Stop drinking caffinated products.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
ANyone got any cures for a bad headache? None involving shooting please?

ZOMIG-ZMT

AMIDRINE

I keep both around.

Used to get  2 or 3 bads ones a week, Doctor put me on a low dose of PROPRANOLOL as a preventive drug for migraines.  I now only get maybe one mild one a month.

At the height of  my migraines, shooting seemed like a viable alternative.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Imitrex works for me
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#16]
sounds like one to me.  I get blind spots for about 20-30 minutes before, then it hits.  I get nausea, but i never actually throw up.  Ive tried all the meds, none work.  I just wait it out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
sounds like one to me.  I get blind spots for about 20-30 minutes before, then it hits.  I get nausea, but i never actually throw up.  Ive tried all the meds, none work.  I just wait it out.

That's the classic migraine.  I got them all the time at age 13.  First I'd get the blind spot or see flashing in one part of my sight, then the headache and nausea/vomiting would hit like a freight train.  I was down for the count for most of the day when one of those hit.

People who suffer migraines have my sincere sympathy.  People who've never experienced a migraine simply don't understand what a hellish experience it is.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Still breathing. my wife got me some excedrin migraine and  took that with 10 mg of percocet without the apap. I am feeling alot better now but i can tell the fucker is under the surface. If i wake with one tomorrow morning again i am hitting the ER. We have a OB appoinment at 9:45 in the morning so tomorrow will be the litmus test of whether i go to the docs or not. I have severe neck and back issues so i assume them getting worse has set this off. Before this past week it was a once every couple month thing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Stop taking ANY stimulants (caffine, nicotine, cold medications, etc.)

Migrains are caused by withdrawl of stimulants.

Google "migrain-caffine" and read Spencer's page. It worked for me.

I can explain further if you want.

BTW-alcohol is A-OK!    (it is a depressant)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excedrin migraine seems to work well for my wife too.  Just don't compare the "Excedrine Migraine" lable with the regular "Excedrine" label.  Otherwise you might just notice that the ingredients are the exact same.

250 asprin
250 tylenol
50 caffiene?

Yeah, I just buy the store brand "extra strength headache medicine." I take 2 when I feel one coming on, 4 if it's already on.

I've tried the aspirin free, to see if it was just the caffiene doing the relief, and it didn't work 100%.

I hear the prescription meds are having great result.

Just pay real close attention to what you're taking. Sometimes it's easy to forget what you're doing when there's spikes pushing your eyeballs out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#21]
migs suck,  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#22]
unfortunately i have areally really high tolerance for pain killers due to being in th emiddle of a whole shitload of back surgeries. 20 Mg's of oxy is nothing for my head at this time. :(
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Today is day two of what i can only guess are migraine headaches. Yesterday morning i woke up and felt this tremendous pain behind my left eye and above my upper jawline. I thought maybe it was a impacted tooth or something but it seemed odd that it would come on so fast. It hurt so badly and in such a odd place that i vomited three times durng the day. My wife talked to he rmother who gets migraines and she recommended a cold compress, bayer aspirin and darkness. I was doing the last item all day by hding under the covers. I was feeling almost normal by 11ish last night and was eating etc around then.
This morning it began again but on my right side of ym head in the opposite locations. No vomiting although i do have some nausea. I tried the bayer and it helped a tiny bit but i am still feeling like shit. ANyone got any cures for a bad headache? None involving shooting please?

I get migraines as well but just so happens that I have a headache today with pain behind my left eye AND jawline as well... But those headaches are Sinus headaches... FRIGGIN HATE THEM TOO!!!

My migraines give me warnings.. like blind spots and then nausea in 30 minutes after the auras. Juuuuuuuuuuuust lovely!

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#25]
IBDJH

Headaches are not a simple Dx, as in migraine = awful pain, ect..

You should really see a doctor about them.  

Btw, I get the classic or neurologic migraines (with aura), however, I'm on preventative medicine and haven't had a full blown migraine in a few years.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
unfortunately i have areally really high tolerance for pain killers due to being in th emiddle of a whole shitload of back surgeries. 20 Mg's of oxy is nothing for my head at this time. :(

I'd say try to find something that'll knock you out for a little while then. Then go see a doctor.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't find Opioids a good choice for migraines, if in fact that's what this is.  You really need an abortive, such as a triptan or atypical med that works more directly with the neurotransmitters involved.

Seriously though, go to the doctor about it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Go see a doctor.

I have this bottle of large white pills, dunno what they are, that I take one of when I feel a migrane coming on. Usual pre-symptoms. Loss of vision (but only in my left eye), naseua, etc.

The first time I had one was last fall. I had two weeks of everything but a screaming headache. I actually slowly went blind in my left eye. Except, of course, the panicked eye doctors could find not a damn thing wrong with my eye. Had an emergency CAT scan one Sunday night after the worst headache I have ever had. Hadn't had one since as bad. I was laying in my bed when it hit and quite frankly if I could've crawled to my 9mm I would've finished myself off, except I couldn't move. Went away after a while (no idea how long). Anyway, got the CAT scan and it came up clean. Same with an MRI the next day.

The lesson there is that a brain tumor can sometimes cause similar symptoms, so having a CT or MRI done if you've just started getting migranes is not a bad idea.

Anyway, went to a brain doc and he said it was migranes, take one of these big pills if you feel it coming on. Haven't had a bad one since. Prevented a couple with medication, mostly after walking out of the bursar's office.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:43:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Don't go scaring the guy, LOL

Actual brain tumor H/A's are usually not severe.  They're dull nonspecific and more of an aching sensation.  As time goes on the headaches get worse and other symptoms may present themselves.  There are exceptions to this rule, but I wouldn't be worried about any neoplasms in your head.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:20:58 AM EDT
[#30]
day two of migraines
go see a doc.
check your bp also
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Its a tooma.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:49:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I suffer from migraines often.  Doctors say now that i get them from caffine. I was put on imitrex but it just complicated them more.  now when i get one I take advil and caffinated soda (pepsi). Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#33]
My migraines that I get is a three day ordeal.

Day 1... auras that drive me nuts. Yet no pain
Day 2 & 3... Head feels like I had the shit kicked out of me & I feel like a dumb ditzy California blond.
Day 4... Back to normal.

Ive been tracking them for two years and I notice that when it is hot outside and I dont have enough to drink .. POW I get them. And its something that is visual that triggers it... something bright like reflections off the ocean where the water is shimmering or those bright friggin headlights that hit you right straight on.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#34]
My doc gave me MAXALT.

It works better if I take it right away.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Its a tooma.

It's not a tooma!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Here is the migrain-stimulant theory:

The body produces adenosine to regulate/slow cell activity. A nerve cell will absorb adenosine through receptors.

Stimulants block the receptors, and you feel great.

In SOME people, the body adapts by producing more receptors: ie-now the nerve cell has to many.

If the body floods with adenosine, and you do not have sufficient stimulant blockage, the nerve cell becomes bombarded, flips out, and you get 3 days of fun.

The key is to avoid even small traces. I was still getting them with green tea, and even decaff coffee. You must TOTALLY avoid caffine, nicotine, and pain pills, sudafed, etc.

All I can say is: IT WORKED FOR ME!!!!!!

ETA-these stimulants work on the body similar to narcotics. So, a migrain can be compared to a mini heroine withdraw.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top