Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 10:25:32 AM EDT
tinyurl.com/q3g5z

LAS VEGAS — A Nevada Highway Patrol trooper was charged Monday with nine felony counts of reckless driving and involuntary manslaughter in a crash that killed four people.

Trooper Joshua Corcran was driving 113 mph on Interstate 15 on Feb. 19, hurrying to get home for dinner and an online history test when his patrol car slammed into a Cadillac going 52 mph, killing the driver and three passengers, police said.
Charging Corcran with "driving at such a rate of speed to endanger" others, Clark County Dist. Atty. David Roger opted to add felony manslaughter charges to the four charges of felony reckless driving resulting in death that police had recommended. Last week, police also recommended that Corcran be charged with one count of reckless driving resulting in substantial bodily harm and Roger concurred.

Corcran told his supervisor after the crash that "he was making a lane change and all of a sudden that car was right there in front of him and the next thing he knew the air bag was hitting him," according to a police report.

Blame for the accident "can be solely attributed to Joshua Corcran," the report said.

Three backseat passengers of the 1988 Deville were ejected and pronounced dead at the scene.

Sixteen-year-old Cecilia Lopez Cruz, four months pregnant, was the only survivor in the Cadillac. She had injuries to her pelvis, torso and head. Her pregnancy was not affected.

The driver of the Cadillac, Cruz's 21-year-old husband Victor De La Cruz-De Leon, was killed. Also killed were Cruz's 21-year-old sister, Reymunda Lopez-Vazquez; the sister's step-uncle, 42-year-old Jose Sanchez Lopez; and a 19-year-old family friend, Jose Roberto Mejia Lang.

Authorities said all were illegal immigrants from Mexico who were living and working in the St. George area of southwest Utah.

Corcran's lawyer, Steve Wolfson, a Las Vegas city councilman, has said a thorough investigation should show that the crash was a tragic accident.

Police were able to determine Corcran's speed through an analysis of the powertrain control module provided by Ford Motor Co. in Detroit. His vehicle was traveling 119 mph before slowing somewhat in the last 10 seconds before the crash.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#1]
O boy,here it comes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#2]
wow you would think he could have made up a better excuse!

AHHHH A ONLINE HISTORY TEST!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Good. The law applies to all or none. That 4 people were killed by his reckless negligence is a tragedy though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Can Illegals get a license?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good. The law applies to all or none. That 4 people were killed by his reckless negligence is a tragedy though.

Legal note: Negligence is below recklessness in the hierarchy of mens rea (criminal mind).

A lot of people are going to come in and make a fuss about the legal status of the victims.  The illegality of their status in the US should have no bearing on the charges against Corcran, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Legal note: Negligence is below recklessness in the hierarchy of mens rea (criminal mind).

A lot of people are going to come in and make a fuss about the legal status of the victims.  The illegality of their status in the US should have no bearing on the charges against Corcran, IMO.

Yup.  Who he actually killed has dick to do with the fact that he acted in reckless manor that could be forseen to result in death or serious injury to others.  Luck of the draw picked the victims, his actions and choices made sure there were victims that day.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#8]

...nine felony counts...

Ouch!

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#9]
The hispanics are just doing the dying-on-American-highways that Americans won't do for themselves.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The hispanics are just doing the dying-on-American-highways that Americans won't do for themselves.

Took ma' job
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#11]
What a disgrace.(The troopers actions, not the charges.)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#12]
The Mexicans' first action was to lawyer up through the Mexican consulate.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Dumbass
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#14]
What a Dick!

This dumb ass gives the Cop Haters on this site more fuel for their retarded agenda!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Mexicans' first action was to lawyer up through the Mexican consulate.

Don't get me started... I live a little north of that shithole.

But it has no bearing on the Officer's actions, or his punishment.

ETA: This kind of shit happens in all walks of life.  The response is the most important part.  Were the blue line to step in and try to protect them, there would be a legitamate complaint.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#16]
If they stayed in Mexico where they belonged , they would be very much alive right now. F'em

Come legally or stay home
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
tinyurl.com/q3g5z

LAS VEGAS — A Nevada Highway Patrol trooper was charged Monday with nine felony counts of reckless driving and involuntary manslaughter in a crash that killed four people.

Trooper Joshua Corcran was driving 113 mph on Interstate 15 on Feb. 19, hurrying to get home for dinner and an online history test when his patrol car slammed into a Cadillac going 52 mph, killing the driver and three passengers, police said.
Charging Corcran with "driving at such a rate of speed to endanger" others, Clark County Dist. Atty. David Roger opted to add felony manslaughter charges to the four charges of felony reckless driving resulting in death that police had recommended. Last week, police also recommended that Corcran be charged with one count of reckless driving resulting in substantial bodily harm and Roger concurred.

Corcran told his supervisor after the crash that "he was making a lane change and all of a sudden that car was right there in front of him and the next thing he knew the air bag was hitting him," according to a police report.

Blame for the accident "can be solely attributed to Joshua Corcran," the report said.

Three backseat passengers of the 1988 Deville were ejected and pronounced dead at the scene.

Sixteen-year-old Cecilia Lopez Cruz, four months pregnant, was the only survivor in the Cadillac. She had injuries to her pelvis, torso and head. Her pregnancy was not affected.

The driver of the Cadillac, Cruz's 21-year-old husband Victor De La Cruz-De Leon, was killed. Also killed were Cruz's 21-year-old sister, Reymunda Lopez-Vazquez; the sister's step-uncle, 42-year-old Jose Sanchez Lopez; and a 19-year-old family friend, Jose Roberto Mejia Lang.

Authorities said all were illegal immigrants from Mexico who were living and working in the St. George area of southwest Utah.

Corcran's lawyer, Steve Wolfson, a Las Vegas city councilman, has said a thorough investigation should show that the crash was a tragic accident.

Police were able to determine Corcran's speed through an analysis of the powertrain control module provided by Ford Motor Co. in Detroit. His vehicle was traveling 119 mph before slowing somewhat in the last 10 seconds before the crash.

Wow.  There are so many different things wrong with that story.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the illegal criminals had been shot when trying to cross or the border was sealed or the gobberment s were serious about controlling these criminals , this fine upstanding policeman who was protecting us citizens by patrolling the highway looking for criminals would not be in trouble now.

He should be let go now. Wish I was on the jury.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the illegal criminals had been shot when trying to cross or the border was sealed or the gobberment s were serious about controlling these criminals , this fine upstanding policeman who was protecting us citizens by patrolling the highway looking for criminals would not be in trouble now.

With all due respect, that argument is fucking retarded.

Would you let the guy go if he killed white people?

I'm not a huge fan of border jumpers, but in spite of all of our talk, it is wrong to just kill them.  That isn't how this country works.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

or he hits the car in front. Send him to jail then charge the survivors with felony accessory to murder ( hey there dead cause they were here illegally so he helped kill em)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

or he hits the car in front. Send him to jail then charge the survivors with felony accessory to murder ( hey there dead cause they were here illegally so he helped kill em)

And we should also shoot kids who walk on our lawn...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With all due respect, that argument is fucking retarded.

Would you let the guy go if he killed white people?

I'm not a huge fan of border jumpers, but in spite of all of our talk, it is wrong to just kill them.  That isn't how this country works.

It doesnt have to do with the color of their skin. It has to do with the fact that they Had No right to be in this country let alone be Driving.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#23]
The trooper was obviously reckless.  It could have been any one of us on that highway.

* I just don't like how the family gets on the news making it a MEXICANS vs. U.S. thing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It doesnt have to do with the color of their skin. It has to do with the fact that they Had No right to be in this country let alone be Driving.

I don't disagree that they should not have been here.  That has no bearing on anything however, especially not where the law is concerned.  These are two separate matters.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW

I'm a cop and I can't even get on board with that statement...............

HOLD ON BROTHER, THIS MAY STING A BIT.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Stupid question - Why were they traveling at 52 mph on an interstate?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#27]

The trooper should be charged.  He was wrong.

The suvivors should not be allowed to collect any $$ through  the US courts.  

The suvivor should be sent home to Mexico and the bill for her healthcare as well.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#28]
The trooper was acting like an idiot, driving recklessly, and his actions killed 4 humans. That is manslaughter and nothing else matters.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The dumbass was driving home at 119mph and he killed four people. If they were citizens would it be different? No, it shouldn't be. Human life is human life, even if they are here illegally. That car could as easily have been filled with citizens. The guy fucked up and people died who should not have.

There are things that people do to warrant death. Illegal immigration is not one of them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I think the mehicans should be exempt from persuing  any civil litigation
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That is reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Probably so they wouldn't have to have a conversation with an officer. Ever notice the junker cars that drug addicts like often travel at low speed? Same reason.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

So, if they had been driving 65, it would have been like the trooper was only driving 106?

I see old ladies and people in POS cars driving less than 50MPH on the interstate every day.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is reasonable.

Unfortunatly, I think they already have the best of the bottom feeders representing them....whats left of them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The trooper should be charged.  He was wrong.

The suvivors should not be allowed to collect any $$ through  the US courts.  

The suvivor should be sent home to Mexico and the bill for her healthcare as well.

+1  I agree totally.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#36]
The cop is obviously an asshole, but with that said, at least he didn't kill anyone worth while.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Because illegal aliens are stupid.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The cop is obviously an asshole, but with that said, at least he didn't kill anyone worth while.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm glad that the officer is being held responsible for his action.

Now I hope that they wil deport the girl before she can have her anchor baby.

I'm not going to shed a tear over the loss of 3 illegals. If they hadn't been breaking the law, they wouldn't have been in a position to be in an accident.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably so they wouldn't have to have a conversation with an officer. Ever notice the junker cars that drug addicts like often travel at low speed? Same reason.

Wouldn't that look suspicious?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, if they had been driving 65, it would have been like the trooper was only driving 106?

I see old ladies and people in POS cars driving less than 50MPH on the interstate every day.

I didn't say the cop was right I was just asking why some idiot would be driving below the speed limit on an interstate.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't that look suspicious?

Dude, they are tweakers and illegals, how smart can they be!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

That has to be one of the worse things I have ever seen posted here at AR 15.com

at least he didn't kill anyone worth while.

Who the fucked let you decide the value of human life?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top