Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 7:56:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually this has been happening for quite some time w/ Ice-T, Ice Cube, Will Smith.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Would you rather they hire the Wayan brothers?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Actually this has been happening for quite some time w/ Ice-T, Ice Cube, Will Smith.

Will Smith is actually a talented actor in his own right.

I'd hardly class him with the current crop of black thugs who can portray black thugs on film.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd hardly class him with the current crop of black thugs who can portray black thugs on film.

+1

Ice Cube is good in funny roles like the "Friday" movies.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#5]
it's the other way around.

the black thug rappers are buying their way into hollywood as an attempt to become "renissance men" of enertainment.

they make bad music
they make bad movies
they make bad clothes
they make bad music videos
ect ect ad nauseum
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

the black thug rappers are buying their way into hollywood as an attempt to become "renissance men" of enertainment.

they make bad music
they make bad movies
they make bad clothes
ect ect ad nauseum

Renaissance.

And again, Will Smith is a talented actor. And Zakk_Wylde_470 is right, "Friday" was funny as hell.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And again, Will Smith is a talented actor. And Zakk_Wylde_470 is right, "Friday" was funny as hell.

those guys really got into acting because they wanted to be actors, and became so on merit.  the current crop of crap is a bunch of guys who want to get their name out as "street cred" or whatever bs they are going for.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

they make bad music
they make bad movies
they make bad clothes
ect ect ad nauseum

If you get paid 10 million to make a movie thats hardly buying your way into hollywood.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Will Smith is just a cool dude alaround.

RZA "rizza" has done a couple of movie soundtracks, and like most of the Wu tang klan Hes preety big into Kung Fu Movies.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I think its the other way around.

There rappers get some scratch and so they put up money for them to star in their own movie.

OR

The person putting up the money produces/has money in certain wrappers, and tap them to play the roles. We all know that some people will see it JUST for the name.

I dont think Speilburg ever goes - we need some thing edge! Get me one of them black rappers for this part!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Would you rather they hire the Wayan brothers?

"Why, heavens to Betsy!"

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood

Ashtray tells a little boy that both of them are part of an endangered species. "Why, because we're black males?" the boy asks him. "No," Ashtray replies, "because rappers are taking all the good acting jobs."

the Wayans are funny once in awhile
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, with all that tasty ghetto flava in so many current movies, why on earth is Hollywood having serious problems selling them?

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Well there are only 2 fantastic young black actors.
Mos Def and Taye Diggs, and they normally have there plates full. So they hire dumb rappers to play the token parts.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Eh. The music industry has been putting their stars into movies since before Sinatra and Elvis. Kids go to the movies to see the guys they hear on the radio, and later buy the soundtrack. Everybody is promoting each other.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Mos Def and Taye Diggs, and they normally have there plates full. So they hire dumb rappers to play the token parts.

you gotta be kidding me! ever hear of a little flick called Annapolis?  That movie flopped worse than Cindy Sheeham's belly
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Taye Diggs

you gotta be kidding me!

Way of the Gun, hallowed be its name. Best. Gun. Handling. EVAR.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Taye Diggs

you gotta be kidding me!

Way of the Gun, hallowed be its name. Best. Gun. Handling. EVAR.

gun handling does not a good movie make
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#19]
"ta be or not ta be, aight?"

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Well my previous examples were to illustrate that rappers have been acting for quite some time. Tupac Shakur acted WAY before he got big w/ Juice. Mos Def has been acting for quite some time now. LL Cool J, Marky Mark, Redman, Method Man, Sticky Finagz, thew list could go on and on...

I would contend that INITIALLY most rappers that started acting and have continued today got their start ONLY because they were/are rappers.

If we wanna talk about musicians acting badly, then you can add Mick Jagger to the list. I'd think of more but I'm tired and wish to go to bed.

I would agree that musicians and rappers that have no acting talent shouldn't be hired to act just because of their success in the music industry.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#21]
G-Unit will be the new Rat Pack of Hollywood, by god.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#22]
It all started with Ice Cube as "Doughboy" in Boyz in Da Hood. Some of them are actually quite good as actors. Cube is good, Andre was pretty good on "The Shield" and in "Four Brothers." Juicy J, DJ Paul, and DMX are good at playing characters similar to themselves. Will Smith is a better actor than he ever was as a rapper.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you gotta be kidding me! ever hear of a little flick called Annapolis?  That movie flopped worse than Cindy Sheeham's belly

Tyreese Gibson is the guy in "Annapolis." Taye Diggs is the guy in "Way of the Gun."

Mekhi Phiffer, Terrence Howard and Jamie Fox are all very good actors.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Eh. The music industry has been putting their stars into movies since before Sinatra and Elvis. Kids go to the movies to see the guys they hear on the radio, and later buy the soundtrack. Everybody is promoting each other.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Ice Cube is good in funny roles like the "Friday" movies.

Although Friday was pretty funny, I still can't stand Ice Cube. (I can't believe I'm even calling him that) He gets a free pass while saying blatantly anti-white things simply because he's black.  IIRC, rapping about how he's going to "kill more devils than Herzegovina" and not shooting until you see "the white of his skin" might have gotten him in hot water were roles reversed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:00:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Mos Def is a good actor.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top