Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 4:00:49 PM EDT
....there were two shows about SHTF type scenarios. They are part of "The Perfect Storm" series that they are running. The first one was about a super tornado hitting the Dallas-Fort Worth, TX area. Basically saying that eventually, when conditions are 'perfect', there will be an F5 tornado , 1.5-2 miles wides at the base, and packing winds of 300+ MPH....and it will smash the D-FW area. Thousands of deaths will occur.

The second show was about these solar flares that have been happening since the beginning of time. They began the show with a piece on one of these solar flares that knocked out power in Quebec, Canada back in 1989. The solar flare sends a huge mass of geomagnetice gases toward the Earth, most of these get dissipated by Earth's own geomagnetic shield. We see evidence of these solar flares every year with the Aurora borealis, or, "NorthernLights".
The show went on to describe what would happen when one of these solar flares was so large, that the Earth's magnetic field cannot deflect all of the flares geomagnetic gases. Basically, what  they said was that the entire power grid structure around the world would be damaged to the point of non repair. We would have to build a whole new power grid, with transformers, towers, wires, control stations, etc.....This would take YEARS to complete. Life as we know it would be drastically altered. No gas, electric pumps pump it. Medical technology would be non-existent. No refrigeration.....no forced air heating.....no computers......no communications.....NO ARFcom......lol....

What would we do? Would the moral fabric of America, and the world disintegrate? Would we help our fellow man? Would it be everyman for himself?

I am an electrician......I know that I could make electricity, but it would take a while to build a homemade generator. One that doesn't run on gas, since it would be scarce.

I'd like to think that we would be a nation of "helpers"......But I seriously doubt that.......I think crime would be rampant, leading to distrust among everyone. People would try to steal from those of us who have prepared for disasters...leading to armed defense of family and property on a large scale.

I know we have several SHFT threads weekly, and it is Monday, so here's my latest offering. What do you think? this isn't terrorism or Iran's bombs....but supposedly very real natural phenomenons that could wreck our lives. Much like Katrina did on NOLA, and the Tsunami in the Indian Ocean....
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I meant to watch those, I'll have to catch the replay........

The sloar flare scenario is the worst.  It's alot like Lights Out, an free internet novel that was actually a good read.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't they have one about a superquake also? Something like a 9.0+ Richter. I think the last one of these was the 1811 New Madrid quake that caused the Mississippi River to run backwards. They say were due again.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#3]
i watched the one about the hurricane hitting NYC.

i loaded mags through the whole thing
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I forgot that was on until it was too late. Anyway, in a situation like the solar flare, we'd probably lose half of the world's population, if not more.  We just can't support the current population without modern farming and transportation, modern medecine, etc.  I think Rawles's Patriots pretty accurate describes what would happen, although I think it would be faster and less forgiving than the situation in his book.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Would a solar flare also make all your eotechs, aimpoints, lasers, and flashlights pretty much usless too?

Many ARFCOMMERS would die from shock if that happened
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Would a solar flare also make all your eotechs, aimpoints, lasers, and flashlights pretty much usless too?

Two 1/2 words. Back-up irons.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Im thinking its possible that the world would kind of turn into a "The Postman" type scenario with no cars or anything but horses and such
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#8]
What's the name of the show? I'm looking through Discovery channel's listings right now and don't see anything along these lines...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not for those with Acogs or Trijicon Reflexes
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What's the name of the show? I'm looking through Discovery channel's listings right now and don't see anything along these lines...

Perfect Disaster is the name of the show
Show Scedule
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perfect Disaster is the name of the show
Show Scedule

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not for those with Acogs or Trijicon Reflexes

Gotta remember to stock up on those 3v batteries for the surefire and NV... and some rechargables and a few of those solar-powered charging units...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top