Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 11:20:21 AM EDT
So, according to Wikipedia, Freistaat Bayern/Bavaria has a law in which any of the following are citizens of Bavaria:

Anyone:
-born in Bavaria,
-born to a Bavarian parent,
-adopted by a Bavarian as a child,
-married to a Bavarian, or
-naturalized in Bavaria

My paternal grandmother was pure Bavarian, 100% master race. As in, my paternal grandfather met her when he (an American GI) was stationed somewhere around there (München/Munich, I think) in the occupation. So, since my father was born to a Bavarian parent, that would make him a Bavarian citizen, right?

And if he is, then since I was born to my father who is (at least as I follow) a Bavarian, that would likewise make me a Bavarian citizen, right?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say, wrong.

Bavaria is a state in Germany.  You can be a citizen of the country, not the state.

That would be someone telling me they're a citizen of Ohio.  Needless to say, that happens a lot.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Take the citizenship test:

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Take the citizenship test:

Those are some big ass crack pipes!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#4]

'Alpenhorns'  Do not stand in front of the muzzle-end when the range is hot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would say, wrong.

Bavaria is a state in Germany.  You can be a citizen of the country, not the state.

You are correct.

Originally Posted By MagKnightX

Anyone:

-born in Bavaria
-naturalized in Bavaria

Substitute Bavarian for German and you have the conditions under which you can become a German citizen. The Staatsbürgerschaftsgesetz (citizenship law) is a federal law. What you read on Wikipedia might have been valid until the Deutsches Reich was founded in 1871. Since then, not anymore.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would say, wrong.

You are correct.

Originally Posted By MagKnightX

Anyone:

-born in Bavaria
-naturalized in Bavaria

Substitute Bavarian for German and you have the conditions under which you can become a German citizen. The Staatsbürgerschaftsgesetz (citizenship law) is a federal law. What you read on Wikipedia might have been valid until the Deutsches Reich was founded in 1871. Since then, not anymore.

So, since my father isn't German by birth, although he was born to a German parent, that means I wasn't born to a German parent?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, if your father doesn't hold German citizenship then no. Technically under German law you can only have one nationality. I am sorry, but I'm not sure I understood your question correctly.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I was born in Nurnberg while Dad was a Cannon Cocker Officer in the ARMY.  I had dual Citizenship till I was 18 then I had to choose.  It was a fairly easy decision for me as I was about to enlist.

Mark.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top