Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 9:30:05 AM EDT

does this helmet look like the early WWII steel helmet as worn at Pearl Harbor? and early WWII?

could it be a British helmet or is it US issue? Im guessing it could be the US M1917A1 helmet because of the type of leather liner it has and the chin strap with the US style clasp / buckle?

the finish looks very rough like it has saw dust or sand mixed in the paint

when do you think this helmet was mfg?

looks similiar to the helmet Steve McQueen wore in the Sand Pebbles
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a US Model 1917A1 helmet, issued from 1936 to 1941.  It was used throughout WWII, usually by the Dept of the Navy.

So yeah, it's what you think.  The suspension is different from the WWI copy, so it's the WWII.  The British, Australian, and Belgian helmets had subtle differences that rule them out as well.

Larry
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Ohio is right. That's a model 1917A1, late '30's early 40's. WWI & European models are significantly different inside.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Belgian copy of the British Mk 1.
I am looking for a copy of the 1917 (not A1) for a reasonable price, but they come to the surface very rarely.

Larry
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am looking for a copy of the 1917 (not A1) for a reasonable price, but they come to the surface very rarely.

Larry

seems like the US versions are harder to find than the foreign ones

the helmet I bought was advertised by the seller as being a WWII British helmet but it is actually a US issued M1917A1

I think it will look good on display with a  WWII gasmask
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice score.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/cyberdyne101/M1917A1.jpg

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/cyberdyne101/1917.jpg

does this helmet look like the early WWII steel helmet as worn at Pearl Harbor? and early WWII?

could it be a British helmet or is it US issue? Im guessing it could be the US M1917A1 helmet because of the type of leather liner it has and the chin strap with the US style clasp / buckle?

the finish looks very rough like it has saw dust or sand mixed in the paint

when do you think this helmet was mfg?

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/cyberdyne101/combat_holman.jpg

looks similiar to the helmet Steve McQueen wore in the Sand Pebbles

is that yours, or something you're looking at?  if it is yours, nice score!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#7]
yes, the picture is the actual helmet I won on ebay
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I've actually got one of those helmets that I found in the woods as a kid.  It is in pretty rough shape though.  Some kid likely lost it decades prior to my finding it.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#9]
IIRC sawdust was added to the US helmet in order to reduce glare.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larry

seems like the US versions are harder to find than the foreign ones

Very much so; I am jealous!

the helmet I bought was advertised by the seller as being a WWII British helmet but it is actually a US issued M1917A1
I think it will look good on display with a  WWII gasmask

Very good; what did you end up paying?
Likely Grampa died, and the family didn't realize that this was personal/family history, not just some old junk in the attic.  Sad, really.

Look for any markings, especially ink on the harness.  Do some research and see if you can't build a little history on the piece.  Names, dates, units, etc..  That really increases the "WOW!" factor.

Larry
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#11]

one of these gas masks would look great for display with the helmet
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#12]
This is some pictures of my grandfathers actual WWI helmet. It was used by my grandparents as a flower pot that hung on their porch when I was young. I wished they hadn't punched holes in it for drainage and holes for wire to hang it with. Can't change that, but it's still kind of neat to have.

I guess my grandmother repainted it a long time ago and put it up for the family before she passed on.
She put a strip of masking tape in it with the words "Grandpa's World War I hat <------".

I found it a couple of years ago in one of my mothers closets and snatched it up for safe keeping for my son.

I don't really want to to anything to it like restoring it, so I just put some paracord through the old flower pot hanging holes and put it where I could always look at it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top