Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 6:04:20 AM EDT
I've been thinking about joining for quit some time but was wondering the best way to do it would be, and have some questions....

I have a heavy build, in school I was told that I should try football but wasn't into the game, but that also means that I'm heavy, while I do have a "beer gut", I by no means would call myself fat, however I exceed the posted maximum weight, so is there any other measure that can be used, or a waiver?....

What if you fail MEP's can you try again later?....

What is the Green to Gold program, and how does it work?....

If you don't score expert on BRM, but still pass, can you try again for expert?....

When Infantry aren't fighting exactly what do they do all day?....

I would like a combat MOS, what can you tell me about infantry (11b?), airborne, and rangers, and what is required to get into the last two, or can they be joined outright?, and are there any other combat MOS's, and what can you tell me about those?....

What is a Warrent Officer?....

In addition to the combat roles what can you tell me about, interrogation, sniper, military police, dog handler, investigator, EOD, and Apache pilot?, and can enlisted fly Apaches, or just officers?....

What can you tell me about the GI Bill?....

Is it possible to negotiate your contract?....

Are you guaranteed the MOS you pick?....

What MOS currently has the highest signing bonus?....

What's the current pay rate?....

Is it possible to "preview" MOS's before picking one?....

Can you be arbitrarily reascend to another MOS that you don't want at any point?....

Is it possible to start higher then an E-1?....

How would one become a squad leader?....

How would one become a "squad" leader in boot camp?....

If you started as enlisted, and got up to say E-5 for example, then became an Officer would you become an O-1, or an O-5?....

What are the different ways to become an officer?....

How do you qualify for a housing allowance?....

If you eat on base is it free?....

If you live on base are your utilities pad for?....

How hard is it to take college courses while on active duty?....

Is a 4 year degree required to try for a direct commission, or will any Bachelors work, do some schools not count, would you have to take a job that's related to the degree, or can you do anything?....

Is it possible to pick your posting, and be guaranteed a position there?....

Is it possible to be guaranteed NOT to receive permeant placements at certain locations like no over seas posting, and no California, New Jersey, Massachusetts, New York, and Illinois, etc. (temporarily like for training, or combat would be fine just no permanent assignments....)?....

What is delayed Enlistment?....

Do you have to get permission from your commander to buy a weapon if you live on base?, how about if you live off base?....

Do all weapons have to be stored in the armory, and is permission required to take them out, or put them into the armory for cleaning, fondling, showing off, or range time, etc.?....

Is there a limit to how many weapons that can be stored in the armory?....

Will the Armory Monkeys finger fuck, and, or destroy weapons stored in the Armory?....

Can you use the firing range while off duty?, and can you use your personnel weapons?....

Can you request, and be guaranteed a position in a specific division?, or a specific unit in that division?....

How easy is it to request a transfer?, what are the chances it will be granted?, how do you go about doing it?....

What jobs issue pistols?, or can anyone carry one if they want?....

Can you bring personnel weapons into theater, like an M1 Garand, Mauser, Enfield, K-31, or Springfield, etc., for better range, in addition to your issued weapon?....

Is there any kind of trophy, weapon related or not that you can legally bring home?....

Is there a way to guarantee a combat assignment, or evolvement in a conflict, like get something put into the contract like "must go Iraq", or "must be in first wave into Iran", etc.?....

How about equipment can you be guaranteed the cool toy of your choice like an M-249, M-240, M-203, or the new OICW if it ever comes out?....

What is the difference between the Reserve, and the Guard?....

Is there anything that can keep you from reenlisting?, what if at the time your reenlistment come up your over the age to enlist in the first place?, meaning is it possible to stay for 20+ years if you wanted to?....

I haven't settled on a service yet either, so which would you pick Army, Marines, Air force, Navy, or Coast Guard (I'm currently leaning towards Army, or Marines....)?....

Before anyone says it I have talked to the recruiters (awhile ago....), and they didn't tell me much....
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#1]
most of your questions can be answered by a recruiter.
i just got out of basic i'm a 11b2c infantryman but i got the knowlage to shoot a javelin.
all of the heavy guys passed except one person mainly just cause he gave up and didn't give a crap no more about passing.
but i had a beer gut when i went in and its all flat i just gota tone it more.
airborne and rangers you gota have in your contract.  wich you pick out your actual contract at meps not at with the recruiters.

not possivle to preview them, but asking around by people they can let you know what its like.
you can pick your posting and you are guaranteed there as the army found out its more costly to move us soldiers base to base, that post sticks till the end of your contract. but dosn't count to being deployed.
you can have wepons if your single or married, if your single you gota lock your weapons up in the armory. if your married and your on housing you get to keep them with you..
no personal weapons in theater. and no personal guarantee on you getting a weapon you really want.

talk to your recuiters and pick the one you WANT too. by what they tell you and filtering out some of the recruiter bs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:19:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
most of your questions can be answered by a recruiter.

I'm sure he wants a real person's unbiased accounts of their experience? Recruiters are drones with the goal for you to sign. I wouldn't trust em any more than I can throw them.

Recruiters aren't in the recruiting business to make the military look bad or show you the downsides.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:33:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've been thinking about joining for quit some time but was wondering the best way to do it would be, and have some questions....

I have a heavy build, in school I was told that I should try football but wasn't into the game, but that also means that I'm heavy, while I do have a "beer gut", I by no means would call myself fat, however I exceed the posted maximum weight, so is there any other measure that can be used, or a waiver?....

Green to Gold is how enlisted personnell go to college on the Army's dime and get a commission. You apply while serving. It is rare to get in.

Avoid their NCOs.

I would like a combat MOS, what can you tell me about infantry (11b?), airborne, and rangers, and what is required to get into the last two, or can they be joined outright?, and are there any other combat MOS's, and what can you tell me about those?...

Combat arms MOSs are infantry, cav, avaition, artillery, MPs (yeah right), and combat engineer. I am sick so I probably forgetting something there, but those are the main ones. You can volunteer 11X Ranger in your contract and get a chance to go to jump school and RIP. If you want to find out about other MOSs I suggest

www.goarmy.com

In addition to the combat roles what can you tell me about, interrogation, sniper, military police, dog handler, investigator, EOD, and Apathy pilot?, and can enlisted fly Apiaries, or just officers?....

Most Apathy pilots don't give a flying fuck and most apiary pilots are flown by magical monkeys.

It gives you money for college.

No.

The contract guarantees you one thing, you are henceforth Uncle Sam's bitch.

www.goarmy.com

Can you be arbitrarily reascend to another MOS that you don't want at any point?....

Yep.

Actual college courses aren't going to happen. Forget about it.

Is a 4 year degree required to try for a direct commission, or will any Bachelors work, do some schools not count, would you have to take a job that's related to the degree, or can you do anything?....
You need a minimum of 60 hours of college to get into an officer's program. OCS will take you at 60 hours.

They say you can, but recruiters lie.

Is it possible to be guaranteed NOT to receive permeant placements at certain locations like no over seas posting, and no California, New Jersey, Massachusetts, New York, and Illinois, etc. (temporarily like for training, or combat would be fine just no permanent assignments....)?....
You are not there to have the Army serve you, you are there to serve the Army, so no.

Guess.

Do you have to get permission from your commander to buy a weapon if you live on base?, how about if you live off base?....
Ain't nobody's business if you buy a POW. The problem is storage. You can't store them in the barracks and you do NOT want to store them in the arm's room.

Do all weapons have to be stored in the armory, and is permission required to take them out, or put them into the armory for cleaning, fondling, showing off, or range time, etc.?....
Your issue weapon stays in the arms room until drawn for training or combat.

As many as the TOE calls for. This is a pretty stupid question.

Will the Armory Monkeys finger fuck, and, or destroy weapons stored in the Armory?....
Only if they don't mind time in Leavenworth.

Can you use the firing range while off duty?, and can you use your personnel weapons?....
Most bases have a firing range for POWs.

Can you request, and be guaranteed a position in a specific division?, or a specific unit in that division?....
No.

How easy is it to request a transfer?, what are the chances it will be granted?, how do you go about doing it?....
Step 1. Walk down to the S3 and get a 4187. Step 2. Fill it out. Step 3. Be denied. Step 4, repeat previous 3 steps.

All combat arms troops are starting to be issued pistols now.

Can you bring personnel weapons into theater, like an M1 Garand, Mauser, Enfield, K-31, or Springfield, etc., for better range, in addition to your issued weapon?....
Fuck no.

Is there any kind of trophy, weapon related or not that you can legally bring home?....
You can do anything you like if prision is not a problem for you.

Is there a way to guarantee a combat assignment, or evolvement in a conflict, like get something put into the contract like "must go Iraq", or "must be in first wave into Iran", etc.?....

I think you must be some bullshit artist troll asshat dude. I am beginning to wonder why I have responded to your shit.

How about equipment can you be guaranteed the cool toy of your choice like an M-249, M-240, M-203, or the new OICW if it ever comes out?....

No.

The Reserves have formal dances and the NG has a secret handshake. Also the Reserves are federal and the NG is states.

Before anyone says it I have talked to the recruiters (awhile ago....), and they didn't tell me much....

If the recruiters won't talk to you when they are so absolutely desperate for bodies you may be too fat and stupid to join son. Take it as a sign, or try the Marines.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:39:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Depends on the unit, some Infantry units have differing jobs in the war.  Some do urban operations, going from house to house searching.  Some do convoy operations or patrols.  Other's can do gates, towers or the like.  
On a down day, you might clean weapons, vehicles, sleep, shower, clean your living area, etc...

I would like a combat MOS, what can you tell me about infantry (11b?), airborne, and rangers, and what is required to get into the last two, or can they be joined outright?, and are there any other combat MOS's, and what can you tell me about those?....
There are "combat arms".  Artillery, Infantry, Scout...etc.   Artillery is just what it says.  You load a huge cannon to shoot at things miles away or rockets.  Scouts are really an extension of Infantry these days.
When you get to your unit, if you are an outstanding soldier, you can get Airborne/Ranger slots to go to.  It is usually easier to get them in your contract before you go to BT/AIT.

In addition to the combat roles what can you tell me about, interrogation, sniper, military police, dog handler, investigator, EOD, and Apathy pilot?, and can enlisted fly Apiaries, or just officers?....
Interrogation is usually handled by MP's, CIA, and military intelligence.  Snipers are part of an infantry unit, usually a platoon if enough of them.  Sometimes you will have Designated Marksmen though.
MP..... .mil version of civilian police.  They ride around in war zones giving tickets for speeding and not wearing seatbelts.
Dog handlers....are pretty cool.  If I were to go Active and I couldnt fly Apaches, I would go k-9.
CID......eh.
EOD.....would be fun, Engineers is along this lines too.
Apache pilots.....would be fun.  Go to Warrant Officer school once you're in and hopefully get the slot.  

What you want to know?  If Active, you get like $1100/mo for being in school after you pay $100/mo for 12mos when you first join.  You get 36mos worth, figuring 9mos a year for 4years or a Bachelor's degree.  If you are Guard, you get like $288/mo for it.  There is also Tuition Assistance for Guard.  However, depending on your state, you may get like 50% tuition assistance or 100% or other incentives.

Of course.

Basically, yes.  If you pick a MOS where they need people, you can get the "GI Bill Kicker" which is an extra $200/mo and maybe a Bonus Kicker for sign-on.  However, if they need more people elsewhere in MOS's, you are always at the mercy of the Army's needs/wants.

No clue.  But DO NOT PICK YOUR MOS BASED ON A SIGNING BONUS.  That is the easiest way to make your time in the .mil shitty as hell.

Military.com  It's on that site.

If you go Guard, you can go to different armories while they have drill weekend and see how things work.  Talk to your recruiter about it.

Technically speaking, yes....if i understand the question right.  You are always at the wants/needs of the Army but as long as you arent upper enlisted or an officer where your specialty is needed somewhere, you wont really be switched.

I wouldnt imagine it would be too hard.  I had a Drill Sgt. finishing his bachelor's degree while doing cycles.  I realize it's a bit different than an AD infantry line unit but oh well.

A direct commission?  If you are enlisted and you have 60credit hours, you can go to OCS, provided that you finish your 4yr degree by the time you are a Captain....at least in KS anyway.
And you can take any job in the .mil with a degree.  You can have a degree in History and be a Supply officer or a Trans. officer.  It nadda matter.

Depends.  We had some people put down duty stations they wanted but were sent to the Stryker Brigades in Washington.  The guys that wanted Ft. Drum got that.  The 2 that wanted Korea, got that.

No.  Unless you were in a major training unit, like one at a basic training installation.

DEP....you can join the Guard and have up to one year before you go to BT.  It's usually for Juniors in high school to join but still stay in school.  Like, go to BT one summer and then AIT the next summer.

I am not sure about the first part and the second part, I dont believe so but I am not sure.

I think if you live on post and are AD.

No.  Once entered into the Armory, they should become property of the Army and any destruction of them is Army Property and they are liable.  (Or at least, that's how it should work.)

Once you're in the Army, you *can* request it.  Doesnt mean they have to do it.

How easy is it to request a transfer?, what are the chances it will be granted?, how do you go about doing it?...

MP's, CID.

No.

War trophy?  No.  There are things you can bring home however, you just gotta fill out the paperwork.  Command will approve/deny.

No.  However, if you join the Guard, you can find out what units are getting ready to deploy.
Lol...."first wave into Iran"....That will be SF or SpecOps.

No.  The command structure decides who gets what weapon.  However, you can usually talk to Sqd.Leader about it and he might change.

Guard = has combat arms
Reserve = is generally support units

I haven't settled on a service yet either, so which would you pick Army, Marines, Air force, Navy, or Coast Guard (I'm currently leaning towards?....
Active Duty = K-9 handler for Air Force  or  Apache pilot
Guard = wouldnt join

They are usually a bunch of weirdos anyway.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the unit, some Infantry units have differing jobs in the war.  Some do urban operations, going from house to house searching.  Some do convoy operations or patrols.  Other's can do gates, towers or the like.  
On a down day, you might clean weapons, vehicles, sleep, shower, clean your living area, etc...

There are "combat arms".  Artillery, Infantry, Scout...etc.   Artillery is just what it says.  You load a huge cannon to shoot at things miles away or rockets.  Scouts are really an extension of Infantry these days.
When you get to your unit, if you are an outstanding soldier, you can get Airborne/Ranger slots to go to.  It is usually easier to get them in your contract before you go to BT/AIT.

Interrogation is usually handled by MP's, CIA, and military intelligence.  Snipers are part of an infantry unit, usually a platoon if enough of them.  Sometimes you will have Designated Marksmen though.
MP..... .mil version of civilian police.  They ride around in war zones giving tickets for speeding and not wearing seatbelts.
Dog handlers....are pretty cool.  If I were to go Active and I couldnt fly Apaches, I would go k-9.
CID......eh.
Apache pilots.....would be fun.  Go to Warrant Officer school once you're in and hopefully get the slot.  

What you want to know?  If Active, you get like $1100/mo for being in school after you pay $100/mo for 12mos when you first join.  You get 36mos worth, figuring 9mos a year for 4years or a Bachelor's degree.  If you are Guard, you get like $288/mo for it.  There is also Tuition Assistance for Guard.  However, depending on your state, you may get like 50% tuition assistance or 100% or other incentives.

Of course.

Basically, yes.  If you pick a MOS where they need people, you can get the "GI Bill Kicker" which is an extra $200/mo and maybe a Bonus Kicker for sign-on.  However, if they need more people elsewhere in MOS's, you are always at the mercy of the Army's needs/wants.

No clue.  But DO NOT PICK YOUR MOS BASED ON A SIGNING BONUS.  That is the easiest way to make your time in the .mil shitty as hell.

If you go Guard, you can go to different armories while they have drill weekend and see how things work.  Talk to your recruiter about it.

Technically speaking, yes....if i understand the question right.  You are always at the wants/needs of the Army but as long as you arent upper enlisted or an officer where your specialty is needed somewhere, you wont really be switched.

I wouldnt imagine it would be too hard.  I had a Drill Sgt. finishing his bachelor's degree while doing cycles.  I realize it's a bit different than an AD infantry line unit but oh well.

A direct commission?  If you are enlisted and you have 60credit hours, you can go to OCS, provided that you finish your 4yr degree by the time you are a Captain....at least in KS anyway.
And you can take any job in the .mil with a degree.  You can have a degree in History and be a Supply officer or a Trans. officer.  It nadda matter.

Depends.  We had some people put down duty stations they wanted but were sent to the Stryker Brigades in Washington.  The guys that wanted Ft. Drum got that.  The 2 that wanted Korea, got that.

No.  Unless you were in a major training unit, like one at a basic training installation.

DEP....you can join the Guard and have up to one year before you go to BT.  It's usually for Juniors in high school to join but still stay in school.  Like, go to BT one summer and then AIT the next summer.

I am not sure about the first part and the second part, I dont believe so but I am not sure.

No.  Once entered into the Armory, they should become property of the Army and any destruction of them is Army Property and they are liable.  (Or at least, that's how it should work.)

How easy is it to request a transfer?, what are the chances it will be granted?, how do you go about doing it?...

MP's, CID.

No.

War trophy?  No.  There are things you can bring home however, you just gotta fill out the paperwork.  Command will approve/deny.

No.  However, if you join the Guard, you can find out what units are getting ready to deploy.

No.  The command structure decides who gets what weapon.  However, you can usually talk to Sqd.Leader about it and he might change.

Guard = has combat arms

I haven't settled on a service yet either, so which would you pick Army, Marines, Air force, Navy, or Coast Guard (I'm currently leaning towards?....
Guard = wouldnt join

So Airborne, and Rangers are strait enlistment?, theres no "you must be in for X amount of time" requirment or anything?....

I hear of alot of the troops useing M9's, or haveing them so if there only issued to MP's, and CID, how did they get them?....

So is there anyway to be guarantee that you'll see combat?, I don't want to be like that one guy who requested Iraq, had the rest of his unit go to Iraq, and he got sent to Korea.... Are there any units that are constantly deployed to Iraq or Afganistan, or MOS's that will guarantee some action?, I may kick myself later saying how stupid I was for wanting combat, but right now I want it....

How did you get in over the weight limit?....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Apathy pilots don't give a flying fuck and most apiary pilots are flown by magical monkeys.

Spellcheck goofed, but that had me laughing....
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CID......eh.

Of course.

MP's, CID.

No.

Guard = has combat arms

Guard = wouldnt join

So Airborne, and Rangers are strait enlistment?, theres no "you must be in for X amount of time" requirment or anything?....
Yes, they can be.  And no, there is "time in service" contract.

I hear of alot of the troops useing M9's, or haveing them so if there only issued to MP's, and CID, how did they get them?....
I thought you meant back in the states.  There are shitloads of people over here that have M9's.
Hell, there are even enlisted women who arent MP or CID over here that have M9's.  If it's in your unit's arsenal, they can use it.   I saw a Sgt. Major the other day from the 100 and worst that had a Glock.

So is there anyway to be guarantee that you'll see combat?, I don't want to be like that one guy who requested Iraq, had the rest of his unit go to Iraq, and he got sent to Korea.... Are there any units that are constantly deployed to Iraq or Afganistan, or MOS's that will guarantee some action?, I may kick myself later saying how stupid I was for wanting combat, but right now I want it....
Kind of.  If you join the 100 and worst, 82nd, 10th MTN, Rangers or SF, or any Reserve/Guard transportation/supply/medical unit, chances are you will be over here pretty easily.

Lots of exercise and waivers.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Ref Apache Pilots:

Aircraft are flown by officers, some are commisioned most are warrant officers in the Army.

You'll need to have 20/20 or better uncorrected vision, and pass the flight aptitude test as well as meeth the physical requirements.  Warrant Officer is a good gid if you can get into it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not about to address every question, but one thing caught my eye..

It has been my observation that Marines who were on the heavy side when they enlisted, struggle with their weight the entire enlistment.  How much crap are you willing to put up with?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You have to be married.

If you are not on seperate rations and you eat ina mess hall then yes.

If you live in the barracks then your utilities are paid for.

Fellas, if you want to quote a previous part of the thread, how about only quoting the part that relates to your answers? Quoting the whole thing for no reason is pretty useless and also very annoying.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

When Infantry aren't fighting exactly what do they do all day?....slave work, crappy details

Will the Armory Monkeys finger fuck, and, or destroy weapons stored in the Armory?.... hell yes, don't store your personal firearms there

The answers to most of your questions can be summarized this way - "You serve at the pleasure of the US government, nothing is guaranteed, and you will recieve an assignment to meet the needs of the Service."

You really need to talk to a recruiter and also peruse www.military.com; most of your questions can be answered there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#13]

A direct commission? If you are enlisted and you have 60credit hours, you can go to OCS, provided that you finish your 4yr degree by the time you are a Captain....at least in KS anyway.
And you can take any job in the .mil with a degree. You can have a degree in History and be a Supply officer or a Trans. officer. It nadda matter.

What if you had a Bachelors going in?, and do online degrees count?....

Will online coarses qualify for OCS?, it seams that this would be easier to do while on active duty, or deployed....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:38:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

A direct commission? If you are enlisted and you have 60credit hours, you can go to OCS, provided that you finish your 4yr degree by the time you are a Captain....at least in KS anyway.
And you can take any job in the .mil with a degree. You can have a degree in History and be a Supply officer or a Trans. officer. It nadda matter.

What if you had a Bachelors going in?, and do online degrees count?....

Will online coarses qualify for OCS?, it seams that this would be easier to do while on active duty, or deployed....

You would be E-4 in BT/AIT then.  And yes, online degrees count.  As long as you have your bachelor's degree.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#15]
It kinda sounds like you are really interested in weapons, if that is the case you might want to check out a Police Dept as the dept armorer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:59:31 AM EDT
[#16]
No other answers?....
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:06:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
No other answers?....

Think seriously, long and hard about joining.  Go visit a Guard unit nearby on one of their drill weekends and see what it's like.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:53:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you sign a contract that has you assigned to an ABN unit, then you go to jump school after AIT. IF you sign a Ranger contract, then you go to jump school after AIT, then go to RIP after which you go to the 75th Ranger Regiment (if you pass). If you just want to go to Airborne school after AIT, then that can be an enlistment incentive, but you need to talk to your recruiter. Ranger school you will not get straight out of AIT. Ranger School and assignment to the 75th are two different things.

MP..... .mil version of civilian police.  They ride around in war zones giving tickets for speeding and not wearing seatbelts. Actually, they work pretty fucking hard and you're either an asshat or you're stationed somewhere where they don't have much contact.
CID......eh.
EOD.....would be fun, Engineers is along this lines too.Engineer and EOD are two different MOS'

Of course.

A direct commission?  If you are enlisted and you have 60credit hours, 90 credit hours you can go to OCS, provided that you finish your 4yr degree by the time you are a Captain....at least in KS anyway.

I am not sure about the first part and the second part, I dont believe so but I am not sure. No and no, storing it is a whole other issue. It also depends on whether or not you're living on post and if you're in quarters or living in the barracks

I think if you live on post and are AD. If you live in the barracks you have to store your weapons in the arms room. Permission is required for you to take your POW out

If one of the ranges is a POW range, then yes and you can use your POW. If you're asking if you can take your assigned weapon out and just go shooting, then no.

How easy is it to request a transfer?, what are the chances it will be granted?, how do you go about doing it?... Go to S-1 submit a 4187 signed by your commander etc. S-3 is plans and operations

MP's, CID.

No.

Guard = has combat arms

Guard = wouldnt join

Yes, they can be.  And no, there is "time in service" contract. Regulations change, check with the recruiter. Sometimes there will be minimum time in service requirements

I thought you meant back in the states.  There are shitloads of people over here that have M9's.
Hell, there are even enlisted women who arent MP or CID over here that have M9's.  If it's in your unit's arsenal, they can use it.   I saw a Sgt. Major the other day from the 100 and worst that had a Glock.

I saw a Sgt. Major the other day from the 100 and worst that had a Glock. who the fuck are you calling my division the 100 and worst. Where the fuck are you assigned? Got an inferiority complex, don't you

Kind of.  If you join the 100 and worst, 82nd, 10th MTN, Rangers or SF, or any Reserve/Guard transportation/supply/medical unit, chances are you will be over here pretty easily.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Dude,

ALL of your questions can be answered by a cursory Google search.  Show some initative instead of asking to be spoon fed.  If you asked these questions on a certain other military related forum, you'd be chewed out to holy hell by now.

I haven't settled on a service yet either, so which would you pick Army, Marines, Air force, Navy, or Coast Guard (I'm currently leaning towards Army, or Marines....)?....

Let me get this straight, you want the board members here to pick which service you should enter?  Would you like them to determine the rest of your life too?  I think you may need to re-evaluate your position.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you sign a contract that has you assigned to an ABN unit, then you go to jump school after AIT. IF you sign a Ranger contract, then you go to jump school after AIT, then go to RIP after which you go to the 75th Ranger Regiment (if you pass). If you just want to go to Airborne school after AIT, then that can be an enlistment incentive, but you need to talk to your recruiter. Ranger school you will not get straight out of AIT. Ranger School and assignment to the 75th are two different things.

MP..... .mil version of civilian police.  They ride around in war zones giving tickets for speeding and not wearing seatbelts. Actually, they work pretty fucking hard and you're either an asshat or you're stationed somewhere where they don't have much contact.
CID......eh.
EOD.....would be fun, Engineers is along this lines too.Engineer and EOD are two different MOS'

Of course.

A direct commission?  If you are enlisted and you have 60credit hours, 90 credit hours you can go to OCS, provided that you finish your 4yr degree by the time you are a Captain....at least in KS anyway.

I am not sure about the first part and the second part, I dont believe so but I am not sure. No and no, storing it is a whole other issue. It also depends on whether or not you're living on post and if you're in quarters or living in the barracks

I think if you live on post and are AD. If you live in the barracks you have to store your weapons in the arms room. Permission is required for you to take your POW out

If one of the ranges is a POW range, then yes and you can use your POW. If you're asking if you can take your assigned weapon out and just go shooting, then no.

How easy is it to request a transfer?, what are the chances it will be granted?, how do you go about doing it?... Go to S-1 submit a 4187 signed by your commander etc. S-3 is plans and operations

MP's, CID.

No.

Guard = has combat arms

Guard = wouldnt join

Yes, they can be.  And no, there is "time in service" contract. Regulations change, check with the recruiter. Sometimes there will be minimum time in service requirements

I saw a Sgt. Major the other day from the 100 and worst that had a Glock. who the fuck are you calling my division the 100 and worst. Where the fuck are you assigned? Got an inferiority complex, don't you

Get your panties out of a twist there killer.
It's a running joke we have with the 101st here in Iraq.  Mainly because of all the rules they are trying to implement......they just replaced some units who had things running very smoothly and ship-shapely, and the 101 came in and totally changed everything and its all dicked up now.

OCS is to start, 60hrs, in Kansas.  Like I said, "In kansas anyway".
90hrs other places, cool.

MP..... .mil version of civilian police. They ride around in war zones giving tickets for speeding and not wearing seatbelts. Actually, they work pretty fucking hard and you're either an asshat or you're stationed somewhere where they don't have much contact.

Yes, they do work hard.  Giving tickets for not wearing seatbelts and giving speeding tickets in combat zones.  We have a lot of contact with them.  They sit, like vultures, around post.

And by the way, where am I assigned?  Read my location please, k thx...
KSARNG - Infantry.....if you want more specific.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:16:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

<snip>

SOME questions?  

Helpful tip number 1:
If you join don't question, just do.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:26:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Dude,

ALL of your questions can be answered by a cursory Google search.  Show some initative instead of asking to be spoon fed.  If you asked these questions on a certain other military related forum, you'd be chewed out to holy hell by now.

Let me get this straight, you want the board members here to pick which service you should enter?  Would you like them to determine the rest of your life too?  I think you may need to re-evaluate your position.

What the hell is your problem?....

I ask questions because I would like some real world feed back not a speach from some recruiter, not some dated stuff from some information board, but some actual experience from those who are always there....

And yes I'm not sure what service I want yet thats why I asked for OPINIONS, give me your experience, and help me decide....
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Young man, you would be better off doing some research on your own at first (talk to recruiters from all the services and  ask them about most of your inquiries).  Remember that you are under no obligation to sign up just because you are talking to them.  So don't feel pressured.  Take notes about what they are saying and organize them under each service.  Come back here and tell us what they say.  Most of the prior military here (Vets and Retirees) can then enlighten you.  

Keep an open mind when talking to the recruiters and to the old salts here.  Grow a thick skin and a stout heart.  And above all, when you join, strive to be the best at whatever it is you are doing.   Quitting is for liberals and pussies.

ETA:

I just read the bottom of your original post saying that you have talked to recruiters already.  Well, talk to them some more.  It is apparent that there are a lot more questions that need to be answered.  Keep visiting the guys at the recruiting stations when you have more questions.  Ask for pamphlets, videos, handouts, pens, stickers, posters.... Send me the posters.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:05:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Lose the weight, and the recruiters won't turn you around at the door.

I had an interested individual who came to the office, but was overweight.  First thing I told him was drop the weight, then we could talk.

Months later he showed up, 50 pounds lighter, and enlisted about a week after that.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#25]
JMO

But it is a bad time to enlist.

Good luck to you whatever you do.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I talked to them already, and they weren't much help....

The Army recruiter was nice, and answered all the questions, and tried to be as helpful as he could but I didn't really learn anything thats not on the website....

The Navy recruiter looked like I woke him up from a nap, he was out of uniform, looked very tired, and bothered, mumbled, and only answered maybe 25% of my questions (I had a list of questions I'de printed out so I wouldn't forget any, but both he, and the Army recruiter just grabbeb my list, and read it before I had a chance to read it to them, the difference being that the Army recruiter actually read, and answered each one in order, while the Navy recruiter just skimmed it, and only mumbled an answer to every 4th or 5th question....), of those only about half way, and barely audible, then he just handed me some brochures....

The Marine recruiter was busy with some kind of paperwork, and looked like he would rather be somewhere else, he answered none of my questions, and just handed me a brochure, and said to come back later....

The Airforce recruiter was out playing golf, his office was empty, lights were off, and the door was locked, I waited around for a couple of hours but he never showed....

The Coast Gard recruiter didn't even have an office, and I have no idea where to find one, so there was no recruter to talk to....

This was all awhile ago, and I thought I'de try a source without a quota to fill....
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dude,

What the hell is your problem?....

I ask questions because I would like some real world feed back not a speach from some recruiter, not some dated stuff from some information board, but some actual experience from those who are always there....

And yes I'm not sure what service I want yet thats why I asked for OPINIONS, give me your experience, and help me decide....

My problem is that every single question you have asked can be answered by yourself, if you so choose.  For instance:

What kind of an answer did you exoct to that question?  "Sure, try some of my magic weight loss beans!  It worked for me!"?  No, you know damn well what the answer is, and that is, PT YOUR FUCKING ASS OFF.  But seeing how you conducted yourself here (not doing any of your own homework), I can bet you're not willing to dedicate anytime to PT.

This is on the fucking GoArmy.com web site.  If you would take the time to actually do some cursory reseacrh, then you would know the answer to that.

Are you kidding me?  CALL A RECRUITER.  If you don't have a phone, then visit the GoArmy.com website.  The answers are all there.  That website was established so people could use their brains, display some initiative, and find the answers for themselves.  And by the way, be respectful; Airborne and Ranger are capitalized.

What is a Warrent Officer?....

Again, the fucking GoArmy.com website.

In addition to the combat roles what can you tell me about, interrogation, sniper, military police, dog handler, investigator, EOD, and Apache pilot?, and can enlisted fly Apaches, or just officers?....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  GoArmy.com website!

Google.

That is a fucking disgusting question.  People enlist in order to SERVE.  And by the way, the answer can be found on Google.

Are you that fucking lazy or do you just refuse to do anything yourself?!?!  Maybe a grudge against Google?

Just like when you go to the ice cream shop, right?

Of course!  That whole enlistment contract is just a bunch of BS anyway.

Is it possible to start higher then an E-1?....

Recruiter or GoArmy.com.

What are the different ways to become an officer?....

GoArmy.com.  Google.  Just about any fucking .mil website.

Are you crazy?  It's the Military; nothing is certain.  

GoArmy.com or Recruiter.

Isn't this covered in one of the General Orders?

Refer to above picture.

Yes, you will be allotted a slot for a war that hasn't even started yet.  These are some really fucking stupid questions.

Refer to latter sentence of above response.

Is there anything that can keep you from reenlisting?, what if at the time your reenlistment come up your over the age to enlist in the first place?, meaning is it possible to stay for 20+ years if you wanted to?....

+    =  ANSWER!

Fucking bullshit.  There is no fucking way you spoke to a Recruiter and he didn't give you some answers to these stupid fucking questions; maybe he didn't because he had reason to believe that you wouldn't meet the requisite ASVAB scores, and thus, it's a waste of his time.  In any event, you should have contacted another Recruiter or another office; there are thousands of them in this great Nation.

And that, you see, is my problem.  If you had taken the time to do some of your own homework, instead of asking the Servicemen here to do it for you, then maybe you could expect a different reception.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:51:11 AM EDT
[#28]

It's a running joke we have with the 101st here in Iraq.  Mainly because of all the rules they are trying to implement......they just replaced some units who had things running very smoothly and ship-shapely, and the 101 came in and totally changed everything and its all dicked up now.

MP..... .mil version of civilian police. They ride around in war zones giving tickets for speeding and not wearing seatbelts. Actually, they work pretty fucking hard and you're either an asshat or you're stationed somewhere where they don't have much contact.

Yes, they do work hard.  Giving tickets for not wearing seatbelts and giving speeding tickets in combat zones.  We have a lot of contact with them.  They sit, like vultures, around post.

Listen here ninja. Obviously you're in Iraq. After all you have it posted under your name so that everyone thinks you're uber cool. Thanks for your service.

Wherever you work in supersecret land, then obviously your MP's are being under utilized. The PSG for my BDE's MP platoon is one of my friends and let me tell you, they are in contact every day, which is a whole lot more than a buttload of infantrymen over here. Quit generalizing.  If the guard's requirement for OCS is still 60 hrs, then great. Active army changed to 90 hrs a while ago.

If whoever is in your AO is screwing things up so freaking badly, according to you, then I feel your pain. Calling the division the 100 and worst is asinine and it shows your ass. Just as if I were to go ahead and say that all the guard units here were a bunch of crybabies and whiners that wouldn't get off the FOB cause they were scared. Sure there were some, and then there are the ones that do their jobs to standard. Comprende amigo? Everyone is full of fuctards that let their mouths write checks they can't cash and generalizing like you do is a disservice to many Soldiers that do a great job.

It doesn't really matter. If you're on a FOB where the MPs are writing tickets and the 101st has dicked things up so badly, then I hope you get to go home soon and pick up your life.

In any case I think you sir are a jackass, but regardless, thank you for your service. You've done more than most.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
-
-
-
-
-
Snip

CALM YOUR ASS DOWN!!!!, what the fuck is your problem, I ask some questions, and you want to start a fucking flame war.... DECAFF man DECAFF....

I do exercise like I said allot of it is structure not pure weight, and if you'd have bothered reading my post before flaming you'd have known that I have researched, I am looking for PERSONNEL EXPERIENCE, not what some website says, particularly since a lot of those websites are geared toward recruiting not necessarily real life, that's what I'm asking for is real life experience, for people that have been there to tell me what they experienced that is why I posted it to a public fucking forum instead of just E-Mailing the questions to a recruiter....

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-
-
-
-
-
Snip

CALM YOUR ASS DOWN!!!!, what the fuck is your problem, I ask some questions, and you want to start a fucking flame war.... DECAFF man DECAFF....

I do exercise like I said allot of it is structure not pure weight, and if you'd have bothered reading my post before flaming you'd have known that I have researched, I am looking for PERSONNEL EXPERIENCE, not what some website says, particularly since a lot of those websites are geared toward recruiting not necessarily real life, that's what I'm asking for is real life experience, for people that have been there to tell me what they experienced that is why I posted it to a public fucking forum instead of just E-Mailing the questions to a recruiter....

Your logic os inherently flawed.  All of your questions require a simple, straightforward response.  For instance, "What's the current pay rate?....", the answer to that can be found on Google, any .mil website etc.  Why do you need "PERSONNEL EXPERIENCE" (and it's "personal" not "personnel") to tell you the answer to that question?

You know what?  You are so lost I won't even bother.  You are in for a rude awakening IF you enlist.  Get your head out of your ass.

Good luck; you'll need all that you can get.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Your reading comprehension is inherently flawed, there is whats posted, then theres whats real, lets look at pay grades since you brought it up, yes it's posted I've seen the chart, but then theres the variouse allowenses, taxes, and any other things that I don't know about that can change those numbers, so the question asks what you actually get paid, add to that there have been several minor increases over the last couple of years, and not all of the online charts have been updated yet, I want to know what people have actually experienced not whats posted on a website...., not to mention that some of those questions are not covered online....
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#32]
I liked visiting the recruiter, he gave me a free pencil! :p
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Listen here ninja. Obviously you're in Iraq. After all you have it posted under your name so that everyone thinks you're uber cool. Thanks for your service.

Wherever you work in supersecret land, then obviously your MP's are being under utilized. The PSG for my BDE's MP platoon is one of my friends and let me tell you, they are in contact every day, which is a whole lot more than a buttload of infantrymen over here. Quit generalizing.  If the guard's requirement for OCS is still 60 hrs, then great. Active army changed to 90 hrs a while ago.

If whoever is in your AO is screwing things up so freaking badly, according to you, then I feel your pain. Calling the division the 100 and worst is asinine and it shows your ass. Just as if I were to go ahead and say that all the guard units here were a bunch of crybabies and whiners that wouldn't get off the FOB cause they were scared. Sure there were some, and then there are the ones that do their jobs to standard. Comprende amigo? Everyone is full of fuctards that let their mouths write checks they can't cash and generalizing like you do is a disservice to many Soldiers that do a great job.

It doesn't really matter. If you're on a FOB where the MPs are writing tickets and the 101st has dicked things up so badly, then I hope you get to go home soon and pick up your life.

In any case I think you sir are a jackass, but regardless, thank you for your service. You've done more than most.

You want to talk about "generalizing" and then you go and say "according to you, everyone is dicked up"......where I never said that once, you must have a reading comprehension problem as well as a bad grasp of the written English sentence.

Once again, I didnt say "THE guard's OCS is 60hrs".  I said, "Kansas' OCS is 60hrs".
Once again, you have no reading comprehension.

Calling the 101st ABN division the "100 and worst" is a gentle rubbing we do here.  It has no indication of their performance beyond what we see/participate with them.  It's a mild elbow rubbing, nothing more.  You wouldnt understand it.  

I dont really care if you said all guard units in Iraq were scared "fobbits".  It wouldnt bother me one bit.  I know what we do, what we've done, who has been hurt/killed in IED blasts (see my sig, then tell me all guard units are scared and fobbits).

You can think I'm a jackass til the cows come home, I dont really care.  However, your opinion is uneducated and wrong since you do not even know me aside from some in-country ribbings we give each other.  I have no doubt in my mind that if I went up to a 101st soldier and told him the joke, he would say the same about Guard units in relation to AD as a joke.  If you cant take a fucking measly ass little joke, your beret is way to freaking tight.  Ease up a little there, killer.  Damn.

Also, next time, learn to read.  Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top