Looks cool
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#3]
"leverage"

God I hate that word.

I wonder, if this project turns out to be a turkey, if Andy will come out and admit it. He hates our planes. V-22, F-35, none of our stuff is good enough for him.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Triangular shaped aircraft that don't show up on radar have been scaring the crap out of civilian pilots for years in the north of England… BAe has it's 'Black' facility at Warton. If you use Google Earth it's on the SE side of the airfield.

tinypic.com/view/?pic=rtg495

It's funny you mentioned that. I just downloaded an Art Bell to listen to. His guest? A Brit that is going to talk about UFO sightings over the UK. I wonder if they'll mention this or something that fits the description.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#8]
A potential Aussie F-111 replacement? I hope so. It would suck to be stuck with the F-35 for "deep  strike". It would also satisfy the DoD's apparent fascination for non-American weapons systems, without having to buy French crap...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A potential Aussie F-111 replacement? I hope so. It would suck to be stuck with the F-35 for "deep  strike". It would also satisfy the DoD's apparent fascination for non-American weapons systems, without having to buy French crap...

Where do you get this info? DOD still spends almost all of it's cash on US weapons systems and contractors.  Oops, my bad. you're talking about Aussy defense not US. Doh!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do you get this info? DOD still spends almost all of it's cash on US weapons systems and contractors.  Oops, my bad. you're talking about Aussy defense not US. Doh!

Hell, I'd like to see a US replacement for the F-111, we need to new bombers, medium, heavy, and bigger then that, in the worst way.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Why would AUS want non-American weapon systems?  Are they on the "Let's do everything we can to screw USA economically" bandwagon like the entire EU?  Did the EU tell the AUS government that our planes put too many pollutants into the atmosphere?  Does the EU make hydrogen powered, environmentally friendly fighter jets or something?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Bump for cool stuff

and why is it that the Brits use cool names for things that move (such as planes and ships) but not the U.S.?  Cities and peoples names work well for real estate and buildings but I want to read about the new CVN "USS Intrepid" or the new LHD "USS Cyclone"!

on a sidenote/minor thread hijack, I DO think Reagan should be put on our currency, but have it be the new $500 bill
[/minor hijack]

edit:  Seawolf is a good program name, now lets get the ship names in line with that!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would AUS want non-American weapon systems?  Are they on the "Let's do everything we can to screw USA economically" bandwagon like the entire EU?  Did the EU tell the AUS government that our planes put too many pollutants into the atmosphere?  Does the EU make hydrogen powered, environmentally friendly fighter jets or something?

I get the impression that there is a "lets not put all of eggs in one basket" mindset in parts of the DOD. This means that we bought MEKO frigates from Germany (built here), Swedish designed subs (built here), Tiger attack helicopters (assembled here), NH-101 troop lift choppers, French or Spanish LSTs (not decided yet, to be built here), Austrian battle rifles (built here)

Mind you, we have US frigates, US AEGIS destroyers (construction to start soon), US fighters and bombers, US Maritime patrol aircraft, buying US M1A1s to replace the German Leopard 1s, US transport planes, US maritime choppers, US weapons, alot of US electronic stuff, etc.

As you can imagine, this complicates the supply situation, but, then again, I'm not making the procurement decisions.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Australia just shops around and picks what's best for the job… a very smart move.

Example… Instead of AIM-9X they bought ASRAAM… mucho longer range. Ditto AMRAAM, the AUS DoD is looking on with interest at METOER.  AMRAAM = Up close and personal; METEOR = Reach out and kill someone at 100nm, specifically SU-27s!

Historically UK/AUS are pretty tight with each other on 'Black' research.

ANdy

OTOH...

AMRAAM = Proven, In Service, Effective
METEOR = Unproven, not In Service, Wait a long time and hope England doesn't cancel it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of the METEOR... But no way in hell would I wait for it when I could have AMRAAM's today.  

ASRAAM, I don't agree with.  AIM-9X is a better missile.  Range doesn't matter, it's a short range missile.  If you are out of range for a -9X, it's time for an AMRAAM.

Some of their procurement is obviously in an effort to have multiple sources.  Not all, by any means, but some.  They don't want to be totally beholden to the US.  Likewise, sometimes they buy on Price.

On the whole, though, they have very good equipment.  I just don't always think they make the right choices.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Example… Instead of AIM-9X they bought ASRAAM… mucho longer range.
ANdy

Hmm, my information says the exact opposite.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:05:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Australia just shops around and picks what's best for the job… a very smart move.

Example… Instead of AIM-9X they bought ASRAAM… mucho longer range. Ditto AMRAAM, the AUS DoD is looking on with interest at METOER.  AMRAAM = Up close and personal; METEOR = Reach out and kill someone at 100nm, specifically SU-27s!

Historically UK/AUS are pretty tight with each other on 'Black' research.

ANdy

OTOH...

AMRAAM = Proven, In Service, Effective
METEOR = Unproven, not In Service, Wait a long time and hope England doesn't cancel it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of the METEOR... But no way in hell would I wait for it when I could have AMRAAM's today.  

ASRAAM, I don't agree with.  AIM-9X is a better missile.  Range doesn't matter, it's a short range missile.  If you are out of range for a -9X, it's time for an AMRAAM.

Some of their procurement is obviously in an effort to have multiple sources.  Not all, by any means, but some.  They don't want to be totally beholden to the US.  Likewise, sometimes they buy on Price.

On the whole, though, they have very good equipment.  I just don't always think they make the right choices.

As far as I know, we have Slammers too. I hadn't heard about the meteor.

I don't think that it's not that we don't want to be beholden to the US. Its more likely that we don't want to be beholden to Boeing and LockMart. We would have zero leveage in negotiations if just bought all of our gear from the same source all the time. This does, however, lead to infrastructure issues, and it does leave us at the whim of the Europeans, who I trust less than the whim of the Americans. Mind you, the French will  sell weapons to both sides in a war, so its probably not that much of a problem
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:23:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Britain already has AMRAAM and Sidewinder… AMRAAM is too short a range in the upcoming world.

METEOR is based on the seeker head of the proven French MICA RF BVRAAM, live aircraft test firings begin about now. ASRAAM uses the AIM-9X seeker head.

French missiles, huh?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top