Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 1:17:08 PM EDT
My GF is making me go on a cruise so I told her I am getting prepared. I told I have all these supplies in one duffle bag.

2 disposable, gas masks.
2 man inflatable boat
water and food
flares,  I think I will have to buy them at a walmart near the port
radio transmitter and beacon
lifejackets should be in our rooms

My GF thinks I am crazy.

I told her we have to go to Dicks to pick up our special order zodiac.  She thinks I really ordered one and is rolling her eyes.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
surefire flashlight and batteries.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Shark repellant?

Bang Sticks?

USN/USCG code book (to call in the Gunships in case of pirates)?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
surefire flashlight and batteries.

Good idea!  I have 2 that I will put into the duffle bag. She is going to flip.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife has been in the cruise industry for past 15 years but we have never been on a cruise.
One of my neighbor is a marine mechnic and is frequently called out to cruise ships to fix things onboard.  He and his wife has never been on a cruise.  
My next door neighbor is the commander of the Coast Guard station at the Miami Beach and he has never been on a cruise.

Do you think we all know something you don't?

You should seriously conside taking 2 disposable, gas masks and two compact life vest/jacket.
Once on board find minimum two exits that will take you from your cabin out to the deck quickly.

Good luck and try to enjoy your trip.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 EVAC-U8s that I will take along for sure.  I will hide them in her luggage.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My GF is making me go on a cruise so I told her I am getting prepared. I told I have all these supplies in one duffle bag.

2 disposable, gas masks.
2 man inflatable boat
water and food
flares,  I think I will have to buy them at a walmart near the port
radio transmitter and beacon
lifejackets should be in our rooms

My GF thinks I am crazy.

I told her we have to go to Dicks to pick up our special order zodiac.  She thinks I really ordered one and is rolling her eyes.

What in the world do you need with gas masks?  You expecting some NBC attacks?!?
Matt
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Your biggest threat is onboard fire and the toxic smoke/gas the fire produces.
Toxic smoke/gas can make you passout in seconds and kill you in minutes.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#8]
personally i would pack all my own food and water, not take baths using the on-board water systems, wash my hands often but make sure i had some sanitary wipes to use after i washed my hands, sleep on deck in the fresh air, carry a water proof sat phone and/or emergency beacon, always wear my life vest, not go in winter if the water is cold enough in the ocean to case hypothermia, not go on a boat that doesnt allow you go to about armed at all times and have a well trained crew capable of repelling boarders (pirates), has at least 50 cals mounted at strategic locations and doesnt cruise in islamic waters...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
personally i would pack all my own food and water, not take baths using the on-board water systems, wash my hands often but make sure i had some sanitary wipes to use after i washed my hands, sleep on deck in the fresh air, carry a water proof sat phone and/or emergency beacon, always wear my life vest, not go in winter if the water is cold enough in the ocean to case hypothermia, not go on a boat that doesnt allow you go to about armed at all times and have a well trained crew capable of repelling boarders (pirates), has at least 50 cals mounted at strategic locations and doesnt cruise in islamic waters...

I will add this the story I am telling my GF.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Your biggest threat is onboard fire and the toxic smoke/gas the fire produces.
Toxic smoke/gas can make you passout in seconds and kill you in minutes.

This is the truth.  The smoke and inhalation kills more people in crashes and fires before the actual fire does.  Most people dont burn to death.  They are already dying and dead when they burn.  They pass out from the fumes or damage their lungs beyond repair.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I think you need a tall blond.  A cruise sounds so nice.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Youre in!

Ft Lauderdale to Key West
then to Cozumel then back to Ft. Lauderdale.

Its just a short 4 night cruise but I need to get away or I will die.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I think you should bring your own food considering the mass food poisonings we always hear about on the news
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Youre in!

Ft Lauderdale to Key West
then to Cozumel then back to Ft. Lauderdale.

Its just a short 4 night cruise but I need to get away or I will die.

w00t!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Immodium AD & Benadryle

And watch out for the crew. Sex assaults by the crews are becomming increasingly common.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#16]

And watch out for the crew. Sex assaults by the crews are becomming increasingly common.

Come on...there's some things that even a hard up crew member won't touch.....ARDoc is one of them.

Per ARF.com COC (no personal information)....I have to post a picture of his Dog.   Realize when viewing this picture that when ARDoc walks in the room,  this dog would slink quietly away with his tail between his legs.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Come on...there's some things that even a hard up crew member won't touch.....ARDoc is one of them.

Per ARF.com COC (no personal information)....I have to post a picture of his Dog.   Realize when viewing this picture that when ARDoc walks in the room,  this dog would slink quietly away with his tail between his legs.

www.jozjozjoz.com/images/samtheuglydog.jpg

Now, now, just because you are a wannabe doctor doesnt mean you have to lash out at the real ones.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I figure all the "lost a sea" gear is worth nothing without a EPIRB
That way, you get rescued....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I was going to mention that he should add that to the list (EPIRB).  And being that they are in the $500 USD range; buying (2) Just In Case would be the best idea.  
No need to buy a Sat. Phone, as you can rent them for a week at a time (relatively affordable).

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was going to mention that he should add that to the list (EPIRB).  And being that they are in the $500 USD range; buying (2) Just In Case would be the best idea.  
No need to buy a Sat. Phone, as you can rent them for a week at a time (relatively affordable).

I have one of these that I bought for my GF's dad before he died.  Its brand new and still in the box.  Never was able to give it to him because he got sick.

ACR 2766.6 MINI B 300 ILS EPIRB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top