Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 11:18:24 AM EDT
I'm going to have surgery done on my left wrist in a couple of weeks for Carpal Tunel Syndrone. At the same time the doctor is also doing surgery on my left elbo for a pinched nerve (ulnar something or other) where they move the nerve to the side of your elbow. Anybody here survived these type's of surgury before? What was the recovery time? After I completely recover from this I'll have the same things done to the right arm
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I had my right hand done via endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery in October.  Not too bad actually.  2 little cuts, each about half an inch long, one on my wrist, one in the center of my palm.

The pain after surgery wasn't too bad, if anything.  Just an occasional bit of pain.  The first few days after surgery you won't be able to use your hand at all.  I couldn't pick up a napkin the first 2 days.  You start to get a little more strength back every day.  I'm still not 100% yet, when I pick up something heavy it still hurts a little.  My suggestion, wait about 4 months before you get the other hand done.  It's not that bad, but it sucks not being able to use your hand.

I'm right handed, and it sucked not being able to use mine.  That left handed butt wiping was a bitch.  

Good luck...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I had carpal tunnel release surgery on my left hand last March.  It was back to normal after a couple months.  Didn't lose any significant grip strength.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had it done twice on my left and one on the right.

None of them worked.

Also have commpressed ulnar nerve at the elbow, but have decided to live with it due to the poor sucsess with the carpal tunnel release.

Good luck to you.

Travis
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Several years ago I had a GP want to set me up for the surgery. I asked to be set up with a nuerologist that my dad had used (he has MS). I saw a partner of the nuero and had several tests done. Ends up that I have a pinched nerve in my back, along with slight restriction in the wrists.  CT surgery would not have given the relief I was looking for.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Had my right arm done in November, my left arm is getting it in April.

The wrist was tender a couple monhs and I still get pain for time to time. The elbow hurt mostly when I do any lifting, but it's feeling good now.

The feeling in my right hand is MUCH better. The improvement was nearly immediate. I have very little numbness now. It isn't distracting, like it used to be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top