Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:50:05 AM EDT
I found this on the web www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.  What is the general consensus here?  I'd like to know what you do/ what procedures do you follow when breaking in a new engine.  The info in the above link makes sense, no?

TIA

--VT
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Run it like you stole it! Then change the oil..
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Run it like you stole it! Then change the oil..

i would disagree.....  i would run it soft for the first thousand miles or so.  try to keep the pedal off the floor ect.  don't need to drive like an old lady, but with a little more care than you normally would.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#3]
While there is no real one way to break in a motor.. That guy is full of shit...  Just because one piston skirt is dirty and one is clean dosen't mean shit..... He should have posted cylinder leak down info to back up hid claims...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I have built and broken in quite a few motors, and had a hand in assembly on MANY more..  "Run it like you stole it" is NOT the preferred method of break-in, or even a good one.  That guy is a dumbfuck.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#5]
More internet hodoo. Mix some facts with some wives tales and you have amnother expert. I just love the part where your engine won't break in using synthetic oil.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#6]
ive alway ran it super soft for the 1st couple thousand miles with oil changes at 1000, 2000 and 3000 then the regular intervals. the tolerances are tight for the first few thousand and you will get some metal shavings come off the moving parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top