Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 7:38:00 AM EDT
But you'd never know it from the Mainstream Media:

Protests mark Iraq war's third anniversary

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- The third anniversary of the U.S.-led war in Iraq drew tens of thousands of protesters{But that's the total number of protesters for all across the WORLD!!!} -- shouting chants of "Stop the War" and calling for the withdrawal of troops -- in demonstrations across the globe.

More than 7,000 people {yawn} marched through downtown Chicago in one of the nation's largest protests, saying the war diverts money from domestic needs and demanding the U.S. pull out of Iraq. One sign read, "Bush is a category 5 disaster."

"I'm against this war, I'm against the torture," said protester Martha Conrad, 54. "We're doing this for the people of Iraq."

In Tokyo, Japan, antiwar rallies stretched into a second day, with about 800 protesters chanting "No War, Stop the War!" and banging drums as they marched peacefully Sunday through downtown Tokyo toward the U.S. Embassy. A day earlier, about 2,000 rallied in Tokyo.

"The Iraq war was President Bush's big mistake and the whole world is against him," said organizer Ayako Nishimura. "Iraq must decide its own affairs."

Elsewhere Sunday, antiwar protesters demonstrated outside the U.S. Embassy in Malaysia and at least 1,000 turned out in Seoul, South Korea, which has the third-largest contingent of foreign troops in Iraq after the U.S. and Britain.

Many of the demonstrations in Australia, Asia and Europe drew smaller than anticipated crowds. In London, England, police said 15,000 people joined a march from Parliament and Big Ben to a rally in Trafalgar Square. The anniversary last year attracted 45,000 protesters in the city.

"Every day you hear of new deaths," said Rose Gentle, whose soldier son Gordon, 19, was killed by a roadside bomb last year in Basra, southern Iraq. "Tony Blair has actually made Iraq a worse place for the Iraqi people."

Britain, the United States' strongest supporter in the Iraq war, has about 8,000 troops in Iraq but plans to pull out 800 of them by May.

U.S. Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld answered critics of the war in a guest column in Sunday's editions of The Washington Post, saying that turning away from Iraq would be "the modern equivalent of handing postwar Germany back to the Nazis."

"It would be as great a disgrace as if we had asked the liberated nations of Eastern Europe to return to Soviet domination because it was too hard or too tough or we didn't have the patience to work with them as they built free countries," he wrote.

Other U.S. cities where protesters gathered Saturday included Boston, Massachusetts; San Francisco, California; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and Trenton, New Jersey.

More than 1,000 people gathered Saturday in New York's Times Square near a military recruiting station, which was guarded by police.

"We say enough hypocrisy, enough lies, our soldiers must come home now," said Wael Musfar of the Arab Muslim American Federation, addressing the crowd from a parked flatbed truck. Participants chanted, "Stop the U.S. war machine, from Iraq to Korea to the Philippines."

Many attendees emphasized that they support the troops. "I have friends in Iraq and I just want them to know that I may not be able to support them there, but I can here," said Jose Avila, 36.

In Chicago, a bystander with a red, white and black Iraqi flag flung across his shoulders said he came to show he backed President Bush's policies in Iraq. "I support freeing Iraqis from tyranny," said 33-year-old Ryan Stiles of Chicago.

Only 7,000 protesters in Chicago, 1,000 in South Korea, 800-2000 protesters in Tokyo and a paltry 1,000 protesters in New York City Times Square!!!

Oh hell you can get 1,000 people on a moment's notice to protest a sunny day in New York City - what a fucking LAME turnout for an anti-war protest! Geez, I bet the leftist's have a 1,000 rent-a-mobbers on ready standby every single day.

But you'd never know how lame and insignificant the anti-war moonbat-movement is by watching CNN.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#1]
What happened to the "80 thousand strong" turnout from DU?  

On another note, wasn't there a "storm the White House" thing that was supposed to happen too?

Pathetic creatures...the lot of them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#3]
You'd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Meanwhile, distributions of free samples of soap and deodorant went as scheduled, but the results will not be known until the next round of ginned-up protests.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]

More than 1,000 people  gathered Saturday in New York's Times Square

What's the snoozing smiley for?  Don't you think that .0124% of the NYC population is a mandate from the masses?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw that on the 10pm news last night.  The news media with their tight shots made it look like it was a huge throngs of people, when in essence it was just a small crowd.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I was trying to get somewhere downtown last night, and didn't realize that was going on.  When I was going past it, I was feeling this strange urge... kinda like the Blues Brothers when they drove through the nazi protest.

Jail would have put a big crimp in my plans for the evening, so I just doubled around and went south of them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Yesterday, briefly, very briefly, an AP headline on My Yahoo stated " fewer turn out for anti-war protests".  It was pulled within 15 min. and replaced with one more in keeping with the party line.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#9]
About 300 in Mpls/St. Paul wish I would have taken pics, one of them had a sign that said 'impeach Nixon"
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#10]
There were people at my Metro stations last week handing out fliers for the rallies here in DC. I should have gone downtown to see some "crowds" first-hand. There was bunch a pussies there on Friday afternoon in front of the White House.

I love firing back at them. Pissing off liberals is fun! A friend of mine who is an Army captain had some fun back in October and got into a big shouting match with some asshat.

I miss those days.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#11]
The local moonbats in Seattle explained the low turn-out this way:
"The reason why the turnout is so low is because EVERYONE knows that the war is wrong and that Bush lied. So instead of protesting they went about with their normal lives."

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Anybody know if the Protest Warriors went in anywhere?

Merlin
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The local moonbats in Seattle explained the low turn-out this way:
"The reason why the turnout is so low is because EVERYONE knows that the war is wrong and that Bush lied. So instead of protesting they went about with their normal lives."

Geez.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What happened to the "80 thousand strong" turnout from DU?  

On another note, wasn't there a "storm the White House" thing that was supposed to happen too?

Pathetic creatures...the lot of them.

Maybe one of them got nervous after reading about the Bonus March and called it off.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Of course the turnout is low. I suspect that the main reason for the large protests of the 60's was the draft. The cowards will come out of the woodwork to protest when they think they might have to go to war.

The reality is that the majority of people in America don't care about what is going on in Iraq, just like the majority of people in the 60's didn't really care about Vietnam. I'd bet everything I have that if they had done an honest survey at a protest in 1969, 95% of the men there would say the didn't give a fuck if we wiped Vietnam off the map as long as they didn't have to risk going over there.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The changed the date to tomorrow.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I got into a shouting match with some of those pussies , my friends and i started yelling at a group of em , and they got up-into our faces , and one of my buddies got into a shoveing match , and the liberal pussy grabbed his cell phone , and held it out , and said "shove me once more facist , and ill call the cops &have you arrested"  ---     i wonder what this little bitch would do up against one of "the evil ones"  ---  Mohamad dont play the " i have constitutional rights" game !
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#18]
They are so few protestors because they realize it is useless standing out there.
Sending letters to your reps would be much more productive.

What a bunch of morons!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top