User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 4:08:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:48:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:49:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Its not just NYC metro guys, its the sheeple mentality; its about responsibility.

A lot of people do not want to stop and think that THEY themselves might be responsible for their own safety and the safety of their families.

A lot of people  want to believe that they will never have to defend themselves with a gun or any other weapon including their hands because the police are "on patrol."

I like the police, but are they always following me to protect me?

Just recently I had a conversation with a long time co-worker.  Somehow the subject came up regarding concealed carry of a firearm and he mentioned that he didn't think it was a good idea.  His statement:

"What is to prevent someone with a gun concealed on them from just walking up to you, putting the gun to your head, and pulling the trigger?"

Obviously someone with little faith in his fellow human beings or someone who needs to read this and understand he is projecting his fears regarding his possible behaviors onto others who will not act irresponsibly.

It comes down to people being sheep, or being the sheepdog.  

I deal with environmental health and safety rules.  They are there in place to protect people at work.  However, just like laws against murder, they are not followed.  People choose to not follow the rules because it takes too much time, money, thinking, effort, etc.  The rules are there because people don't use common sense or think.  Instead they are satisfied with doing the bare minimum to protect themselves from workplace hazards and consequently they might get hurt.  When they do they blame everyone including me.  Sorry, when I told you for the fifth time you needed to do it correctly, and you ignored me, its not my fault.  You CHOSE to ignore the law and put yourself in that situation.  This is why I fire people for being unsafe.  When they chose to ignore the rules over and over again and put themselves and other at risk, the law says it is still my company's fault and we have to pay for their ignorance and laziness.  

Sorry for the sidetrack rant, but in my eyes, they are related to each other based off of the sheeple "someone will do it for me" mentality.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:51:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is nothing I own that is worth shooting someone over.

"That include your wife and daughter?"

Owned. They're just too stupid to know it.

My sister is like that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:54:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Are they talking about the same Police who could NOT protect everyone after hurricane Katrina?

Liberalism is most definately a friggin mental disorder.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:10:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:11:17 AM EDT
[#7]
The Urban Liberal attitude boggles my mind.

I helped a pro-gun friend of mine dispense with his guns recently, as he was moving from New Hampshire
to downtown Boston (at his girlfriend's repeated requests).    Now he tells me he wish he could have kept his guns more than ever that he's living in a crowded city, but his girlfriend insists a cellphone is good enough protection.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#8]
When this house of cards comes tumbling down (I say when, not if) those guys and a whole lot more are going to be in a world of hurt.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:17:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I helped a pro-gun friend of mine dispense with his guns recently, as he was moving from New Hampshire
to downtown Boston (at his girlfriend's repeated requests).    Now he tells me he wish he could have kept his guns more than ever that he's living in a crowded city, but his girlfriend insists a cellphone is good enough protection.

My wife and I are getting ready to move and I told the wife there were only two conditions on where we moved.

1. I keep my guns and they are legal.

2. High speed internet.

Other than those conditions I don't give a shit where we live.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:17:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I work in Manhattan. One day I had to open a shipping box of computer supplies. I pulled my knife out of my pocket and cut the packing tape. A co-worker saw this and said "geez, why do you carry a knife?

I said, "because in NY it's illegal to carry a gun."

You should have seen the look on his face.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I am tired of liberals giving Soccer a bad name.

I try and wear a gun related shirt whenever I play beer league indoor soccer.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
...Hurricane Katrina...

Ugh, that's the thing I'm most sick of hearing about in the NYC metro area.  

The other day someone was ranting in front of my school's library, saying, "The Pentagon is watching NYU students!"

I fired back, "Good, I've sat in some lectures that sound like a Bin Laden tape."
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I work in Manhattan. One day I had to open a shipping box of computer supplies. I pulled my knife out of my pocket and cut the packing tape. A co-worker saw this and said "geez, why do you carry a knife?

I said, "because in NY it's illegal to carry a gun."

You should have seen the look on his face.

My sister gave me the same stupid line at her house when I was helping my BIL with his renovation and I flicked out my 4" CRKT.

"WHY do you carry such a big knife?"

"It came in handy just now, didn't it? THAT'S why."

Sheesh.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:31:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The other day someone was ranting in front of my school's library, saying, "The Pentagon is watching NYU students!"

I fired back, "Good, I've sat in some lectures that sound like a Bin Laden tape."

OWNED!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:42:18 AM EDT
[#16]
If you don't exercise you get fat and out of shape.

As a nation we are on our third generation of peace and  prosperity. No one has needs that aren't met, only wants.  Even the "poor" in America are wealthy by historical and world standards.  Why are poor Americans fat, sitting in A/C ,watching color TV, and a free phone call away from free medical care?  Because our .gov has been VERY successful in the war on poverty and transferring what has seemed to be limitless wealth.

Most don't see how it could ever end, not realizing they live in a fantasy world.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Am I the only one that sees a deeper issue here?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Am I the only one that sees a deeper issue here?

Nope.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
They are like those calves that are raised in little plastic boxes then killed for veal.

They think that the parts of NYC that they have seen, and maybe out to Orange County, are the real world. Basically they have been raised in a shopping mall where it rains sometimes. They have never come up against some who is mean and doesn't give two shits about beating the crap out of them and taking their shit for themselves, nor have them ever faced being more than 10 feet from electric heat and light in bad weather. They have lived the lives of pampered children, unfortunately they are pampered children who can vote.

That's so true.  I was joking with my girlfriend the other day, and I drew a map of the US as a liberal New Yorker sees it.  On the map, I made Manhattan huge, drew upstate and Jersey tiny in relation to Manhattan, and California on the opposite end.  In between, I drew a blackhole with sea monsters, cows, and a few hayseeds.  We had a good laugh about it, but it isn't even an exaggeration.  They have the same biggoted attitude towards the rest of the country that people did in the 1800s towards the interior of Africa.  Everyone outside the city needs to be "educated."

Most New Yorkers' view of the world is so limited, it's no surprise the city is a breeding ground of liberalism.  It's all you get here.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Its not just NYC metro guys, its the sheeple mentality; its about responsibility.

A lot of people do not want to stop and think that THEY themselves might be responsible for their own safety and the safety of their families.

A lot of people  want to believe that they will never have to defend themselves with a gun or any other weapon including their hands because the police are "on patrol."

Exactamundo!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#21]
First off, I just love it when they say "What do you NEED a gun for?". I don't recall electing you---or anyone else for that matter---to determine what I "need". I alone will determine what I "need", or better yet what I WANT. Don't like it? Tough shit.

Liberalism is a "forced participation" sport. I don't think you need guns, thereore you can't have them. Conservatives (generally) would say you have a right to own firearms; you don't have to, but you can if you want to. Liberalism requires forced mass participation.

And 2 guys involved in SOCCER??? That should speak volumes right there. More Euro prancy shit getting shoved down our throats. Go put on some pads and crack somebody---it's the American way! (I just know I'm gonna catch flak for this but oh well)      
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:20:06 AM EDT
[#22]
tag for later discussion
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey, I'm from NYC, and the only reason I haven't got a stack of ARs is that they're not legal here.

We're not all idiots.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hey I deal with that BS almost every day! Sheep.

ETA - The "powers that be" would love it if we could do our jobs with just verbal judo, ASP Batons, and OC Spray. What do we need those Glocks, S&W's, and Sigs for?

Hey Wave,

Is that what NYPD is allowing for carry now?  What calibers are allowed?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#26]
At least where I live now I have a river and two bridges between me and NYS

Still have to cross the border daily for work though.

But only seven years till Retirement!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#27]
One of these days we're going to have a major disagreement.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:14:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm another non-idiot New Yorker - though then again I'm working as a contactor in Iraq, and whenever I get back I'm getting the hell out.

NYPD uses 9mm - with some grandfathered .38's.  Glock 19's dominate with S&W and IIRC SIG being alternates - off duty guns include the G26, a S&W 39XX (can't remember), a Kahr, and grandfathered .38's.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 What calibers are allowed?

Regular patrol guys get 9mm

12 gauge, .223 , .308 , and 50cal exists too.

Really?  According to the police commisar only terrorists and the army need 50 cal.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I was traveling with my usual NYC metro area guys.  I guess I should learn not to be shocked by these guy but they somehow manage every trip.s.

I really don't get it.  These guys are educated business people but hard core liberals.

After a very long day of travel (3 jet connections and 4 hour car drive), we cross over to Mexico mainly to get business permits for the next day.  Two of these guys forgot their passports and didn't even have the cash for the fee.  The same two double team me at dinner.

What you need a gun for?  Its not like we have the British to fight anymore.

Now they look at me with that look that could kill.

"You see guys, that's the slippery slope you are traveling.  You keep supporting laws that are intended to protect the people from themselves eventually they will pass a law against something you like."

At this point the conversation ended.  I couldn't help noticing as I was talking even the two guys from California in the group were nodding in agreement with me, but these two sheep were not convinced.

I left convinced this attitude will the death of us all.

Tj

The way I see it, some people suffer from what I call the "see no evil, speak no evil, and hear no evil" syndrome.
In our very complicated world today, some people just put this stuff out of their minds, and say silently to themselves, "it won't happen to me, if I do this," of course after doing the "right" things, and it still happens they are "screwed/owned."

And some people(including my dad) have critized me personally as a extremely pessimistic person, and over-prepare for some things that are not likely to happen.

Quoted:
I gave a black guy I was going to law school with a ride home when I was going to NYC once. I stopped for gas in some small town on the way down, and next to the gas station an Elk's lodge was having a chicken Bar B Que. I said that smelled good and suggested that we get something to eat there before leaving. Well he was nervous as hell about it and finally admitted that he figured that they would not want him to eat there because he was black. I was shocked. I'd lived upstate my whole life and those guys would not have given two shits about him being black, hell the worst racists I ever met in NY were guys from Long Island and the city. In fact I had on a beat up motorcycle jacket and long hair and a beard, while he was very nicely and conservatively dressed, he probably would have gotten a better reception from those guys than I would have. I didn't say anything though, I just said okay and we left.

Actually, I can empathize with the black man, my Bro-in-Law visited a large USofA mid-western city for a conference his company sponsored, and my B-i-L is an extremely laid-back guy, tries to get along with everybody etc.  He told that he felt extremely uncomfortable in this mid-western city(he's asian) and couldn't wait to leave when the conference was over.  There are places in the USofA where if you non-white, you're definitely looked down upon, fact of life.

Quoted:
I'm another non-idiot New Yorker - though then again I'm working as a contactor in Iraq, and whenever I get back I'm getting the hell out.

NYPD uses 9mm - with some grandfathered .38's.  ... and grandfathered .38's.

Some of those 38s could potentially be semi-collectibles.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Hey, I'm from NYC, and the only reason I haven't got a stack of ARs is that they're not legal here.

We're not all idiots.

Are the suburbs a viable option there?  I've never been to NYC, so I don't know how painful it would be to get out.

I'm from the Chicago area, and I will never live within the city limits.  Not only for guns, but because of taxes, parking, crooked politicians, and on and on...  Right now, I'm 10 minutes from the city limits, and about 35 minutes from downtown, and I have most of what I want in the safe (no NFA toys or CCW).

My wife grew up in the city, and she's looking at teaching jobs with the city schools that would require residency.  She's in a high-demand field that may get her a waiver, and since I *will never have a Chicago address for any reason*, I hope that happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top