Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 7:06:46 PM EDT
I am going trap shooting next weekend and have not shot or used a shotgun in a long time.  Do you not have to worry about oiling everything and shoot with a dry barrel.

I know I sound like an idiot I would assume you dont have to worry about it, since the plastic and the shot is not effected by rifling in the barrel no lubrication should be required right?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know for sure, but I would run a wet patch/mop through the bore and then a dry one after just to be shure.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If it was clean when you put it away I would run a couple patches through it and wipe the outside down.  You really don't need much oil I would just make sure nothing is in the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Clean it.

What will it hurt?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am going trap shooting next weekend and have not shot or used a shotgun in a long time.  Do you not have to worry about oiling everything and shoot with a dry barrel.

I know I sound like an idiot I would assume you dont have to worry about it, since the plastic and the shot is not effected by rifling in the barrel no lubrication should be required right?

Thats not for trap shooting.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit sherlock  that is why I said is not effected by,  but thanks for your less than useful input anyway.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit sherlock  that is why I said is not effected by,  but thanks for your less than useful input anyway.

From the sound of it your going to shot trap through a  fully rifled barrel ?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the sound of it your going to shot trap through a  fully rifled barrel ?

He's saying that the barrel is NOT rifled.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I use lube and I shoot till its dry.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#9]
do you use oil in your rifle Bbls?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought shooting anything with any amount of oil/lube/etc. still in the bore was considered a no-no....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#11]
so clean it and dry patch it like you would a rifle barrel, and dont leave a light layer as if I was going to store the shotgun,  thanks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
so clean it and dry patch it like you would a rifle barrel, and dont leave a light layer as if I was going to store the shotgun,  thanks.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it. The only reason - IIRC - that you ever have a layer of oil in the bore is for storage, and should be removed before firing. If you're going to shoot the shotgun soon, I really don't think it matters much at all if you oil/clean & dry it as opposed to just shooting it as is (assuming it's at least somewhat clean). If it's really dirty, it's probably a good idea to clean it first so you don't have that much more of a chore when you clean it after the range day coming up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I shoot 200 rounds of Sporting Clays per week. In all I have shot over 10,000 rounds through my gun in the year that I have owned it. I have never put oil in the bore EVER. I just clean it ever 1000 rounds or so. It will not hurt it at all. The only thing you have to worry about on a shotgun is plastic fouling. Certain shells foul faster than others.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Mop it and have a good time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Doesnt make a difference one way or another really. If you want to run a patch thru it before you shot it do it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Short and sweet.... CLEAN DRY BARREL!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I like to have a light protective coating of oil in my shotgun's barrel at all times to prevent rust

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top