Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 6:47:49 PM EDT
The Audi R10, a turbodiesel, just beat a bunch of gasoline powered race cars in the 12 hour American LeMans race at Sebring.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool?
IBNT
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Audi and VW just obsoleted every race car in the world again.

First time was when they brought Quattro onto pavement- and it was quickly banned from all but a couple minor, regional series.

We'll see if they get banned again...

Although, Pugeot announced this week that they are going to defend Le Mans in 07' with their own V10 turbo diesel, and all eyes are now on Mercades.  The more who jump in the harder it gets to ban it.

Even more impressive, the R10TDI's engine is NOT highly tuned over a stock Tourag V10 turbo diesel.

It only has about 100hp/160lbft more than the street engine.  There are probably half a dozen tuners who could get you as much power out of your Tourag and still be street legal...

It was generally a bad night for Benz cycle gasoline engines all around, 2nd overall and 1st place in P2 went to a WANKLE 4 rotor.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
How did Corvette do?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
awesome
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How did Corvette do?

Another win
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's an article from Speed.

Kristensen/Capello/McNish Triumph at Sebring

Kristensen/Capello/McNish Triumph at Sebring
Written by: RACER staff
Sebring, Fla. – 3/18/2006 Kristensen/Capello/McNish finished four laps ahead of their closest chasers. (Greg Aleck/Fastlines photo)

In a race marked by mechanical problems for most favorites, the pace-setting No.2 Audi R10 TDI steered by Tom Kristensen, Allan McNish and Rinaldo Capello outlasted the competition to bring Audi the first victory by a diesel-powered car in the 54th edition of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.

Its sister No.1 car, steered by Frank Biela, Emanuele Pirro and Marco Werner, did not make it to the finish line after developing electrical problems still in the early stages of the race.

The No.2 itself wasn't immune to problems: it suffered issues with its heat exchanger during the morning warmup session, and was forced to start the race from pit lane in the 34th position.

In LMP2 competition, the heavily-favored Penske Porsche RS Spyders suffered a myriad of mechanical problems, including one less than 50 minutes from the end, when Emmanuel Collard lost the class lead after stopping in the track for no evident reason and losing some two minutes before resuming. The Intersport Lola of Clint and Jon Field and Liz Halliday, which started last after failing to set a time in qualifying, inherited the lead and walked with the class honors and an impressive second-place overall finish. Mechanical problems forced the retirement of the No. 7 Spyder of Timo Bernhard, Romain Dumas and Patrick Long near the seven-hour mark.

Corvette recovered the GT1 title lost to Aston Martin last year, with the C6.R steered by Jan Magnussen, Oliver Gavin and Olivier Beretta beating the DBR9 of Pedro Lamy, Jason Bright and Stephane Sarrazin by one lap en route to a third-place finish in the overall standings.

GT2 honors went to the Panoz Esperante shared by Champ Car star Sebastien Bourdais, David Brabham and Scott Maxwell, which finished ninth overall and just five seconds ahead of class rivals, the Porsche 911 RSR of Johannes van Overbeek, Jon Fogarty and Marc Lieb.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Diesel....its whats for breakfast
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Do they make the diesel car run a smaller fuel tank?  The primary reason diesel engines are "more fuel efficient" is that when you burn a gallon of diesel it makes more energy than when you burn a gallon of gas.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Car & Driver magazine had an article on this car. The put a bunch of neat advances in this car, including emissions and noise levels. The win for the Diesel is huge!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Somehow I missed this thread until now !!! Here is a pic of said R10 Audi...

Link to the other Sebring thread...

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

audi-r10.bootnetworks.com/audi-r10-pictures/audi-r10-01.jpg

So, 4_Rings, are you a big Audi fan?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

First time was when they brought Quattro onto pavement- and it was quickly banned from all but a couple minor, regional series.

Although, Pugeot announced this week that they are going to defend Le Mans in 07' with their own V10 turbo diesel, and all eyes are now on Mercades.  The more who jump in the harder it gets to ban it.

Even more impressive, the R10TDI's engine is NOT highly tuned over a stock Tourag V10 turbo diesel.

It only has about 100hp/160lbft more than the street engine.  There are probably half a dozen tuners who could get you as much power out of your Tourag and still be street legal...

It was generally a bad night for Benz cycle gasoline engines all around, 2nd overall and 1st place in P2 went to a WANKLE 4 rotor.

I'm sorry was does VW do for the racing world again?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They own Audi.

ETA: And Lamborghini amongst other companies. I believe that they also own Rolls-Royce or Bently, I can't remember which.  BMW owns the other one of the two if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Audi makes great cars.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I figured Audi whould come up with anougher whoopass car like the R8.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They own Audi.

ETA: And Lamborghini amongst other companies. I believe that they also own Rolls-Royce or Bently, I can't remember which.  BMW owns the other one of the two if I remember correctly.

Ya but that's like saying GM when talking about the corvette in racing.
GM didn't do anything for the vette's racing team.

Do you have a VW in your driveway?
If so that would explain your stretch.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

audi-r10.bootnetworks.com/audi-r10-pictures/audi-r10-01.jpg

So, 4_Rings, are you a big Audi fan?

I just traded off an A6 a few months ago, thus the user name, it started out as a joke because my buddy kept bragging about his WRX, kind of a personal joke between us...

Yes to your question, racing season for me gets under way every year at the 12 Hours of Sebring...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you're saying Audi didn't have anything to do with this car?  I guess they just found a team that might win, coincidently was using a VW-based engine, and decided to to pay them a few bucks to slap a sticker with four rings on the nose of the car and a TDI sticker on the side.

It certainly couldn't be a works team... could it?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn, i missed it.  Audi rocks!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How did Corvette do?

Another win

1st and 4th in GT1, the 4th place guy just didnt have the horses to compete with the Astin

Definitely a helluva race.

What was amazing was the Audi TDI screwed up early on and had to take the win from the back of the pack.  That car is going to absolutely rape at 24 hrs of Le Mans.  It has better fuel consumption which is really going to help it.  

I am a huge fan of the road races, but I cant help criticize the people who write the rules.  Something amazing comes along and they they ban it cause the other teams are outclassed by a technology gap.  Instead of whining and banning it, an advancement should just further the competition.  

Kudos to Audi!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They own Audi.

Um, the Z06 was developed along side the C5R and I am fairly sure the same was done with the C6 generation.  So yeah, GM had a hand in the race team
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yup, and it's a Turbo Diesel  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Just looked at the Audi webpage- I guess it's a V12, not the 10cyl from the Touareg.  Still pretty though if ya ask me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The Audi R10, a turbodiesel, just beat a bunch of gasoline powered race cars in the 12 hour American LeMans race at Sebring.

Was there ever any doubt? Audi ROOLZ ALMS racing. This year's 24 hours of Le Mans is gonna go the same way.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They own Audi.

Nope, no VW in the driveway.  VW I'm sure played a huge part in fanancing Audi's race team (you know, that whole deal about VW owning Audi), just as GM does a great deal of financing the Corvette factory race team.  Audi was also using a VW developed engine during the race, just as Audi production cars use VW developed engines and vice-versa.

The simple fact that Audi is owned by VW gives VW an impact in the racing world.  Should VW decide that they do not want Audi racing anymore, Audi won't be racing.  I don't see that ever happening, provided that Audi continues to do so well, but it is possible.

Or do you think that automanufacturers will be able to continue developing and fielding race cars without the consent and financial backing of the parent company?  I can assure you that is not the case.  VW has a huge impact on the racing world so long as Audi continues to participate and win races.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How did Corvette do?

Another win

1st and 4th in GT1, the 4th place guy just didnt have the horses to compete with the Astin

Definitely a helluva race.

What was amazing was the Audi TDI screwed up early on and had to take the win from the back of the pack.  That car is going to absolutely rape at 24 hrs of Le Mans.  It has better fuel consumption which is really going to help it.  

I am a huge fan of the road races, but I cant help criticize the people who write the rules.  Something amazing comes along and they they ban it cause the other teams are outclassed by a technology gap.  Instead of whining and banning it, an advancement should just further the competition.  

Kudos to Audi!!!

*cough*Mazda 787B*cough*

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you're saying Audi didn't have anything to do with this car?  I guess they just found a team that might win, coincidently was using a VW-based engine, and decided to to pay them a few bucks to slap a sticker with four rings on the nose of the car and a TDI sticker on the side.

It certainly couldn't be a works team... could it?

It is a full on factory effort....
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#29]
That pic above of that Mazda brings back some memories !!!

How about this old dog, it was nearly unbeatable in its day.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top