Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 5:22:05 PM EDT
I’ve been an aircraft mechanic for the past 21 years. I recently received a card in the mail from Union Pacific about openings with the railroad. I believe they got my name through the IAM union which I believe also represents the Union Pacific.

Anyway I checked out the UP website and found  the position of Journeyperson Heavy-Work Equipment Mechanic. UP will give consideration to aviation mechanics who apply for this position. Anyone here familiar with this position? The low pay verses responsibility of aviation has really been weighting on me lately. I think I might be ready for a career change.

My current job requires me to work 12 hour shifts, at night and on weekends and holidays. My family does not care for this at all, and I’m very tired of it my self. Plus, this UP position is a 40 hr work week, no travel and indoors in a shop and I believe weekends off.

Anyone here that can fill me in on working for the railroad?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#1]
No RR guys out there? No wonder they need people so bad!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:25:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:33:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Well no wonder ya didn't get any replies all the rr people i know are at work
it's THE WEEK END!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:07:18 AM EDT
[#4]
+1

Quoted:
Well no wonder ya didn't get any replies all the rr people i know are at work
it's THE WEEK END!!!!!!

You got that right... Quib I really can't answer  with any kind of certainty about that position with the UP but I can tell you a little bit about railroads. I'm a locomotive engineer with CSX and am "on call" so when I do get called for work I have 3 hours to be there and like you it's daytime,nighttime,weekend,holidays I'm outdoors but inside the cab and there is lots of travel. That's not to say you'll be stuck working those kinds of hours with that job position a 40 hour week, no travel, and indoor shop with weekends off sounds like a pretty good gig for a railroad job and they do exist.  so my advice is to find out a BOATLOAD of more infomation about this position. Like  everything else on the railroad seniority is EVERYTHING so why not apply and continue to find out more about this job before you jump ship. You have nothing to lose so apply and take the interview, you can always say no if they offer the job. Good luck  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top