Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 4:10:11 PM EDT
they use on some items.   It is a white cheese sauce, fairly liquid, if it sits and cools, it forms a surface skin, but doesn't harden up entirely.

I've had it in a couple of different restaurants....

In Richmond, VA (Casa Grande), they had it on a "Chili Con Queso".  (Ground Beef on a Tortilla with the sauce on top)

Here in Clarion (Cozumel), they have it on their Chili Rellenos and some other items.

It tastes like a cream based sauce mixed with montery jack type (fairly mild) cheese.   Not straight Monterey Jack melted (I tried that), and doesn't seem to be something simple like mix with milk/cream and melt.  

Anyone know what it is called or have a recipe?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know what it is called, but I saw it at Sam's Club a couple of weeks ago.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Velveeta
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Look for 'mexican melting cheese' that's what the label will say.  It's usually a mexican
brand item not your usual Kraft or Sargento.
The name in spanish is Queso Tipo Chihuahua (seriously) IIRC.

This stuff gets really runny if you heat it up but it will 'set' again if you let it cool and rest.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
It's the cream of some young Mexican guy!

Sounds like a type of Mexican alfredo sauce.  Cream, cheese, and butter.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Look for 'mexican melting cheese' that's what the label will say.  It's usually a mexican

Yep, I saw something similar to this at Sam's.   It even had what had appeared to be finely chopped jalepenos.   Looked tasty!

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Fundido?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I saw something similar to this at Sam's.   It even had what had appeared to be finely chopped jalepenos.   Looked tasty!

They have that around here, comes in a 1LB. plastic tub.  Awesome for chips, even
better than Velveeta+Ro-tel.  Even the mild stuff has a good kick.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This stuff gets really runny if you heat it up but it will 'set' again if you let it cool and rest.

Yep.
I just ask for Chihuahua Cheese and they get it going.
Oddly enough, It's not as good in Mexico.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought it was a goat cheese.  When I order fajitas it is poured across the refried beans.  Awsome!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I saw some of that cheese at a local grocery store.   Have to try it.

I made some shredded beef (Smoked, shredded round roast) and froze some.  Thought it might be good on top of a tortilla with some of that on top.

AFARR
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Ése no es queso, amigo.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

But it's made with real Chihuahuas!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

But it's made with real Chihuahuas!!!!!

I read this and had the image of Charlton Heston running and screaming out:

"Its Chihuahuas, Mexican melting cheese is Chihuahuas!!"
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#14]
What a bunch of gringos ...........
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like queso or asada cheese mixed with sour cream maybe?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is the recipe that we got from the head chef at Superior Bar and Grill here is Shreveport.
Dan

Superior Grill
Chili Con Queso

2 Tbls. Butter
1/2 cup diced onions
2 Whole diced poblano peppers
1 cup whole peeled tomatoes (mashed)
2 12 oz. cans evaporated milk
1 Tbsp. flour
2 lbs. Grated Monterrey Jack Cheese

Add butter, onions, poblanos, and tomatoes and simmer for approximately 10 minutes. Add flour, stirring constantly so as not to burn. Add evaporated milk. When hot but not boiling, add cheese by handfuls, stirring until each addition is completely melted before adding next handful.

For a spicier version add 2-3 whole chopped jalepeno peppers instead of poblano peppers.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I live in mexico right now and what are you are talking about comes in a jar and is just called "crema" kind of a thick cream as opposed to actual cheese.

Actually just went and looked in the fridge- apparently it's a different form (mexican version) of sour cream- crema acidifico pastuerazada while sour cream is just crema acidifico- can't eally tell the difference by reading the labelled contents, but they are definately not exactly the same thing..
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I live in mexico right now and what are you are talking about comes in a jar and is just called "crema" kind of a thick cream as opposed to actual cheese.

Actually just went and looked in the fridge- apparently it's a different form (mexican version) of sour cream- crema acidifico pastuerazada while sour cream is just crema acidifico- can't eally tell the difference by reading the labelled contents, but they are definately not exactly the same thing..

+1

From the description in the first post; it just sounds like mexican sour cream
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:04:42 AM EDT
[#19]
The restaurant (local) lists it as cheese sauce.   I would venture that the texture is close to melted velveeta (only white) with a bit of something in it to thin it out.

I've had Crema on stuff before--this is different (and also served hot--thought Crema was normally served cold).

AFARR
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:02:06 AM EDT
[#20]
it's white american cheese...velveeta...whatever...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:24:57 AM EDT
[#21]
It isn't velveta or white american.  Go to the store and look for "Queso Blanco."  I buy it all the time here locally.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#22]
They sell it at Walmart here. Simply called Mexican Cheese Dip with the rest of the cheeses.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Queso
Plain and simple, at least at the taco joints around here.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The restaurant (local) lists it as cheese sauce.   I would venture that the texture is close to melted velveeta (only white) with a bit of something in it to thin it out.

I've had Crema on stuff before--this is different (and also served hot--thought Crema was normally served cold).

AFARR

crema is usually sour cream or a variant there of.

On a chile relleno, no no no , only homemade relleno sauce should go on chile rellenos.

there are a lot of good cheeses that go well with Mexican food and believe it or not most come from Mexico.

Cotija, asadero, fresca, especially cotija.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top