Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 3:48:33 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a modern use of bayonets in battle?, any fullout charges?, how about just fixing them to the rifles during a fight?, anyone actually stck anyone?, I think I heard the British used them in the Falkland islands war, but is there anything more recent?, and what about the Falklands?....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't the Brits use them in Iraq?

I think The Marines (ours) did as well at some point, maybe Fallujah?

Found this on Google

Also Google

Tagged.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC the last time a US Army unit was actually given the command to "Fix Bayonets" and then to charge was in Korea.  IIRC that came out of the AUSA Magazine back in the 80's.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#5]
There's always that El Salvadoran soldier that charged a bunch of Iraqis with his knife.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#6]
My Drill Sgt in Basic at Fort Lewis in 1967 was with the 2 Inf in Korea. He told stories about being in the last bayonet charge by the US Inf. He said the charge was up hill and they caught the Chinese in their holes surprised. He esposed the virtue of being quick or  dead. He also said the e-tool and the M1 swung like a baseball bat were very deadly tools.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#7]
from what i have heard, marines in iraq have found bayonets mounted on shotguns (mossberg 590's) to be VERY effective at convincing hajis to do as they're told.  i dont know about a charge tho
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My Drill Sgt in Basic at Fort Lewis in 1967 was with the 2 Inf in Korea. He told stories about being in the last bayonet charge by the US Inf. He said the charge was up hill and they caught the Chinese in their holes surprised. He esposed the virtue of being quick or  dead. He also said the e-tool and the M1 swung like a baseball bat were very deadly tools.

A soldier named Millette gave the orders for the charge (I think), he was from Maine.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]
When I see the movie Getteysburg and Chaimberland gives the orders to fix bayonets and then charges down Little Round Top, I always get the chills.

Those guys had some brass balls the size of soccer balls.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A soldier named Millette gave the orders for the charge (I think), he was from Maine.

I'll go along with that. I read it somewhere. Damned if I can recall where, though. I do remember the charge was uphill, though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]
The Brits did one in Iraq. When I was there a quick jab to the chest with a bayonet out the truck window worked wonders for keeping people away from the trucks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
When I see the movie Getteysburg and Chaimberland gives the orders to fix bayonets and then charges down Little Round Top, I always get the chills.

Those guys had some brass balls the size of soccer balls.

I got fucked up on that hill once... man i was tripping lol... then the park rangers came
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#13]
It was Capt Millette, was a company commander in Korea.  Unit was surrounded and basically out of ammo.  He gave the order to fix bayonets and charged through the chinese.  He was awarded the MOH.

He was in charge of the training school at Fort Devens, Ma in 1967.  He had 2 crossed bayonets on his desk, the long M1 kind.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#14]
John210,

Thanks for that display of a total lack of respect for the men who died there.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll go along with that. I read it somewhere. Damned if I can recall where, though. I do remember the charge was uphill, though.

I recall reading about it on the back of a military history magazine.
They had an ad for the painting of the event, as well as a breif description.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top