Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 3:14:33 PM EDT
1. How do you tell real from fake?

2. Who are they issued to?

The reason i'm asking who they are issued to is my Brother who spent a year and a half , with the 10th Mountain division and is now in the "green to gold" program to become a butter bar, made the followign statement to me when i showed him one i just bought to display whit my AR-15A2....

He said and i quote "Thats some G.I. Joe shit, they don't issue those, I've never been issued one like that and neither have any of the infantry i saw that we trained with, that must be made just for civilian wannabe's"

Now i know these are issued but to who, if my brother who is with a rapid deployment division in the 18th airborne corp has never seen one?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Alright, so I guess i'll take that as none of the military personell on here have ever seen one in troops hands either.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It should be standard issue to all troops in all branches, and I think I've even seen some in eighther news footage or photos to....  That said for whatever reason he may have been issued an older M-7, there officialy obsolete (have been since 1986....) though the army always has been slow to replace equipment particularly when it still works (this is one of the reasons why it took so long to replace the M-14 with the M-16, if it aint broke don't fix it....), this is particularly true for reserve, and gaurd units some of which are stll useing M-16A1's, and theres even some origional AR-15's, and M-16's (slab sides....) kicking around....  Your brothers unit may have just slipped through the cracks....  Or your M-9 could be a commercial model with lots of extras so it can be more Tacticool "tactical", a favorite of space shuttle door gunners, and mall ninjas, which goes to your other question, I think most M-9's on the market today are commercial copys, so the question is how correct is it?....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, allot of units keep them locked up.....They get lost easily, but for some reason are accounted for almost as heavily as a weapon..Both units I have been in, they have been sitting in the Arms Room, in a footlocker that was banded up with a count on the outside....

ETA- As far as I know, every unit in the Army gets them... Its a Basic issue item, required for every M16 or M4 type in inventory. On paper, its like have a rifle without a sling, magazine, etc..

The first USGI ones were made by Phobis (sp?), and the nicer early commercial models were made by Buck.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I was issued one during Desert Storm (was one of the first Bucks) and another from supply (Lancay).
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
All the information you are looking for can be found here...
M-9 Bayonet

It has an interesting history.  I was in the navy and was not issued a knife, but I do know guys that are in the army who have been inssued them.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Phobis, LanCay, Buck, and Ontario have all made M-9s on .gov contracts. I have even seen Marines with them issued.

Your brother may not have seen them, but they do exist. If he tells you otherwise, he is wrong.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]

My first thought when I first saw this thread, " why wouldl they make a bayonet for a beretta pistol"?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The current Marine Corps bayonet is made by Ontario, it is brown and it has EGAs on each side of the handle.  Most units have them, but some active and reserve units still have the older bayonet.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It should be standard issue to all troops in all branches, ....

The M9 has never been issued to the Marine Corps as far as I know. I was issued an M7 bayonet from 1988 through 92. I know we have the new Marine bayonet now.

HTH
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The M9 has never been issued to the Marine Corps as far as I know. I was issued an M7 bayonet from 1988 through 92. I know we have the new Marine bayonet now.

HTH

It has, on a pretty limited basis. I had an M-7 in 2003.

Marines can be rough on bayonets, and M-9s are probably a bit too expensive to distribute out to all of them. Especially when we have tons of M-7s that can be destroyed without much of a loss.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HTH

Marines can be rough on bayonets, and M-9s are probably a bit too expensive to distribute out to all of them. Especially when we have tons of M-7s that can be destroyed without much of a loss.

I stand corrected.

One thing I always did think regarding the M9 bayonet was how nice it looked, and also how expensive it looked as compared to the M7. I never thought the Marine Corps would issue the M9 because of that. I remember sitting in the sandbox throwing my M7 bayonet into a piece of plywood repeatedly along with the rest of my fire team, basically wrecking all 4 bayonets in the process. No way I thought we would ever be issued those pretty M9 bayonets
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#12]

This is the bayonet we are currently being issued, made by Ontario, with the EGA on the handle.  Some units still have the older bayonet, but infantry and most other units have this one.

JDC

ETA:  And yes, you're right, it's F'ing expensive.  I was at HQMC working on budget issues when this bayonet was fielded, it was one of the Commandant's priorities and it wasn't cheap to buy the Corps all new bayonets.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HTH

I stand corrected.

One thing I always did think regarding the M9 bayonet was how nice it looked, and also how expensive it looked as compared to the M7. I never thought the Marine Corps would issue the M9 because of that. I remember sitting in the sandbox throwing my M7 bayonet into a piece of plywood repeatedly along with the rest of my fire team, basically wrecking all 4 bayonets in the process. No way I thought we would ever be issued those pretty M9 bayonets

It is a great looking blade. I always thought they were slick as fuck with that satin finish.

I wouldn't have thrown an M-9 at rats like I did with my M-7. I probably would have stolen lost it though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The M-9 has never been issued to the Marine Corps as far as I know. I was issued an M7 bayonet from 1988 through 92. I know we have the new Marine bayonet now.

HTH

My cousin, who was with 2/8 at the time was issued an M-9 for his M-16, back in 1992. I remember meeting up with him at Camp Wilson at 29 Palms when we happened to both be there for a CAX.

I, however, always had the M-7.

I do remember seeing them for sale at the PX though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was in the Army I always was isued an m-9..yet since I have ben working for the Army as a civilian I see a lot of the m-7 ones even the arms room for the detachment I am with uses
m-7's......

I was active in 1995-1999 in basic m-7 in all my permenat party m-9...go figure....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My first thought when I first saw this thread, " why wouldl they make a bayonet for a beretta pistol"?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
1. How do you tell real from fake?

2. Who are they issued to?

The reason i'm asking who they are issued to is my Brother who spent a year and a half , with the 10th Mountain division and is now in the "green to gold" program to become a butter bar, made the followign statement to me when i showed him one i just bought to display whit my AR-15A2....

He said and i quote "Thats some G.I. Joe shit, they don't issue those, I've never been issued one like that and neither have any of the infantry i saw that we trained with, that must be made just for civilian wannabe's"

Now i know these are issued but to who, if my brother who is with a rapid deployment division in the 18th airborne corp has never seen one?

A couple questions.
What did your brother do? A diesel generator mechanic might never have had been issued one for example.  Of course, they aren't always issued to even the infantry.  Usually they just sit in the arms rooms, or get buried in teh back of the conex.

Second, and possibly more important, what does yours look like?  Is it similar to the ones in that link posted?  There have been a few different makers (as posted in another response), and a couple generations.  The newest don't have the bottle opener function on the crossguard (well, it worked for that anyway), and have the sheath checkered for grip when using it as a wire cutter, the older ones didn't.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I have never seen an M-9 bayonet in my own unit (active-duty heavy Armored Cavalry Regiment) in the 4+ years that I've been in it.  I've seen a couple guys wearing them on their belts over in Iraq, but not from my unit.  We still have tons of the older M-7s stored in our arms room (I'm signed for about 150 of them).  I'm really not sure where all the M-9s went that are supposedly in the Army inventory.  Most guys carrying folders and a few Ka-bars and civilian sheath knives.

Seen plenty at guns shows and stores though...

Dave
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#19]
every unit i have been to in the last 9 years of army service has had m9 bayonets.

ive been an armorer in 3 units now, and like alot of the guys said, many times the chain of command has the armorer inventory them and than lock them up.  I actually had to do a friggin hands across kuwait in 99 because some asshat lost one.

Yes they are expensive, but they shouldnt be treated like they sensitive items, their simply high value property book items.

any given arms room should have them at a 1/1 ratio to m16s/m4s.

in my current arms room i also haved a foot locker of m7s, which i truely dont understand.

the m9 is a great bayonet.  do not buy the tawianese copys, they will snap off with excessive use.
the cheap chinese one i bought wasn't even sized correctly, and i had to modify it with a dremel to make it fit my rifle.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:02:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#21]
They aren't all that expensive.  The statement of charges would be less than a hundred bucks I'm sure.  Certainly less than say a promask ($140 in 1994, seen two people pay for those then), or a GoreTex parka.  Hell, probably less than the black fleece that became standard issue a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#22]
The one i got isn't a U.S. made one, I don't think, But is extremely well machined,own to fine details. The fit on my Bushmaster is Perfect, I don't think this was a Taiwanese or chinese copy I have.

The quality of workmanship is too high for most metal based stuff i've seen from the Asians.

Does Israel copy them?Korea maybe? I know Korea copies the M-7.

The blade is marked  "MK" then a number, it's grey parkerized not black and hes the Generation 1 sheath.

Tried cutting a Nail in two with the wire cutter, fully expecting it to either leave a indent in the blade or snap off the stud on the sheath but neither of that happened. The Nail cut cleanly off no problem.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#23]
We were issued M-9's when we swapped out our A1's for A2's.

They were usually kept in the arms room, and handed out with
your rifle on alerts, but not if you were just going to the range.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top