Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:42:31 PM EDT

Sounds like Lucas wants some of that BSG money....

Star Wars Show To Run Long?

George Lucas' longtime producing partner Rick McCallum told the BBC that a proposed Star Wars TV series will run for at least 100 episodes.

Speaking to BBC Radio 1, McCallum said the show's writing team would soon be meeting to start on the project, which would begin filming in 2008 and be ready the same year. "Hopefully, if we can make it work and everybody's excited and watches it, we will keep on going," McCallum told the BBC.

The series will be set between Episode III and IV of the film saga and will cover the 20 years in the life of Luke Skywalker growing up. McCallum said there would be "a whole bunch of new characters" and the series would be "much more dramatic and darker." He added that it was unlikely any of the stars of the movies would be involved in the TV series.

A typical prime-time network TV show airs about 22 episodes in a season.

From SciFi.com
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that will suck!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]
We all wanted answers and we got episodes I to III and now this.

It's what we wanted right?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
He was a moisture farmer that had no idea of what he was capable of and did nothing to contribute to the galaxy until the movies. Sounds like an action-packed and exciting series. To make it interesting, they'd have to totally rape the history of the saga more than they did with the prequel trilogy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a major Star Wars fan and I will watch this.

Of course it could be 100 episodes of Jabba the Hutt throwing feces at old naked people and I'd probably watch it and buy the DVD set when it came out.

/sitting here in my home office surrounded by all 6 movie posters
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The Han Solo story is where it is at. Dumbasses!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#7]
What's Lucas going to call it?  The Young Luke Skywalker Chronicles?

I'll pass.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Christ, does Lucas even have a clue? it's going to be a rehash of Young Indiana Jones, but in space... crap.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm surprised it's not a National Geographic type pseudo documentary exploring the social habits of Ewoks and their history.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#10]
jesus why the hell dont they do it after episode 6... they would have to write it all.... OH WAIT theres already like 100 books written....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
You know, this could work.  I picture young Luke Skywalker sitting on his front steps wearing a "Vote for Biggs" t-shirt saying, "I need to learn some skills.  You know, like Bantha-hunting skills, lightsaber skills, X-wing skills.  Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills."
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yes, but I can't imagine recasting the role.

I say ditch the current storyline and come up with a new main character.

A show taking place in the SW universe would be enough for me.

Y'know, they could make it about Wedge, that'd be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#13]

I'm sure it's going to be great
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]
everything I've heard so far is that it is not going to be about any of the major characters
there's plenty from the expanded universe for them to use for ideas
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
img368.imageshack.us/img368/5301/20050427l6xs.jpg

I'm sure it's going to be great

I love Penny Arcade.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Han Shot First!!!

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Of course it could be 100 episodes of Jabba the Hutt throwing feces at old naked people and I'd probably watch it and buy the DVD set when it came out.

NERD
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Han Shot First!!!

So what if he did?  They should have left it tht way and not "fixed" it.  Han was a pirate/smuggler who didn't abide by "Federation law", a "bad guy" with good intentions who gets turned into a hero.

They should have left him shooting Greedo first. Greedo was a scum-sucking bounty hunter who was willing to take Han in dead.

As for the series, 100 episodes is like a magic number in TV land... something about syndication, marketing, something I read. And also with most shows doing 20-22 episodes a year, that's a five year run.  Not like back in the Gilligan's Iland days when 30-35 episodes a year were normal.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1.
His stories were IMHO far better than most of
the rest of the story.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Oop Jawa da popo na ling ling za sag sag.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Either that or take the lead from the wildly popular KOTR video games.  Set it 1000 years in the past and use entirely new characters.  Heck, its the universe that makes us so interested, with spaceships and lightsabres and such, not any particular character.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Yup. Star Wars minus Han Solo is a bunch of ponderous, pretentious crap. We need Han doing deals, shooting first, and demonstrating some sketchy morals for the kids.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#25]
What coudl possibly be dramatic and dark about cracker farm boy Luke Skywalker growing up.

I thought the series was going to be about everything EXCEPT the characters fromt he movies with th exception of Boba Fett.

We all saw lousy Lucas does when he has to build the story around something the audience already knows the outcome of.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NERD

You have no idea my good man!

I am just fortunate my wife is a tolerant woman.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NERD

You have no idea my good man!

I am just fortunate my wife is a tolerant woman.

It could be worse....you could have a movie-accurate full reproduction Vader suit, flanked by two reproduction sets of ST armor in your home office.....

BC
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Han Shot First!!!

+1

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Han Shot First!!!

So what if he did?  They should have left it tht way and not "fixed" it.  Han was a pirate/smuggler who didn't abide by "Federation law", a "bad guy" with good intentions who gets turned into a hero.

They should have left him shooting Greedo first. Greedo was a scum-sucking bounty hunter who was willing to take Han in dead.

As for the series, 100 episodes is like a magic number in TV land... something about syndication, marketing, something I read. And also with most shows doing 20-22 episodes a year, that's a five year run.  Not like back in the Gilligan's Iland days when 30-35 episodes a year were normal.

No Expert

Maybe "Dog" complained.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Han Shot First!!!

+1

+2!

I could not believe they had done that when I saw it!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Han Solo is a Cylon.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
home.swipnet.se/~w-12451/wookiees.jpg

bobafett.com/multimedia/image/movie/swhs/57.jpg

Yep, they're gonna play that as the pilot episode...

SW Holiday Special,  it was shitty even to a six year old.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Han Shot First!!!

+1

+2!

I could not believe they had done that when I saw it!

yeah, WTF ?
Glad I still had the first VHS copies.  are the original un reedited versions even available on DVD?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm seeing old Ben Kenobi after a massive blow binge having his way with an unshaven Tusken hooker...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#35]
How many episodes it runs has nothing to do with how many they think they want to make, it's got to do with ratings.  Shows like Stargate SG1 have run many episodes because they're good shows and have high ratings.  Same will be true with BSG.  I'll watch it, but if it sucks I'll stop watching it and my money goes on "It will suck".  But that won't stop me from liking it if it's good.

But it will be nice to see another sci-fi series on the Sci-Fi channel, now if they'd only show them on weekends instead of the never ending parade of monster insect movies.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I wanna see Grevious sucking down a pack of Camels as a young bot.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#37]
It might be good. I mean, Lucas isn't going to be directing, or even having much at all to do with it at that. There are a lot of interesting characters (Boba Fett for one ) that are developing during that time line. If they could delve into some of them, I think it could be pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
There are a lot of interesting characters (Boba Fett for one ) that are developing during that time line. If they could delve into some of them, I think it could be pretty interesting.

What is so interesting about Boba Fett?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Han Shot First!!!

+1

GREEDO SHOT FIRST
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Han Shot First!!!

+1

GREEDO SHOT FIRST

someone never saw the original or is yankin chains.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You should be slapped for comparing Star Wars to the new BSG.

Comparisons to the old BSG are obvious and numerous and the basis for lawsuits past.

ETA: I say that as a big Star Wars nerd, but damn, not even close.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Han Shot First!!!

+1

GREEDO SHOT FIRST

someone never saw the original or is yankin chains.

I saw the original and Han shot Greedo before he could shoot Han.

Han was just being pro-active

Now whats this abomination/knucklehead-pc-fication about Greedo shooting first ?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should be slapped for comparing Star Wars to the new BSG.

Comparisons to the old BSG are obvious and numerous and the basis for lawsuits past.

ETA: I say that as a big Star Wars nerd, but damn, not even close.

Where in the flying fuck did you read that I compared Star Wars to BSG?
You need to put your reality glasses back on and re-read my post.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
yeah, WTF ?
Glad I still had the first VHS copies.  are the original un reedited versions even available on DVD?

yes and no
officially and legally no
but there are bootlegs made from the laserdiscs. check ebay
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yeah, WTF ?

yes and no
officially and legally no
but there are bootlegs made from the laserdiscs. check ebay

jeeze, there a good memory and much missed device. I wish I never sold mine

thanks. ebay bound
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There are a lot of interesting characters (Boba Fett for one ) that are developing during that time line. If they could delve into some of them, I think it could be pretty interesting.

Before they ruined the mystique of the character in Episode 2 or after?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:51:54 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was ruined before that. Look at all of the gratuitous appearences in the Special Editions.
For a character that Lucas said he never understood the appeal of, he sure tried to make bank off of him.

ETA, I might even go so far as to say that the mystique was ruined in ROTJ. Fett going out like a punk, and all.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was ruined before that. Look at all of the gratuitous appearences in the Special Editions.
For a character that Lucas said he never understood the appeal of, he sure tried to make bank off of him.

ETA, I might even go so far as to say that the mystique was ruined in ROTJ. Fett going out like a punk, and all.

Supposedly in one of the books he escapes from the Sarlac pit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Supposedly in one of the books he escapes from the Sarlac pit.

Sure... when they realized it was like flushing money down the toilet...

I agree Lucas really did whore that character out big time. If he said he never understood the appeal, but that he also had the prequel stories written a long time ago I can't help but wonder... did he make Boba Fett the clone daddy after the fan's response to the character?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:20:11 AM EDT
[#50]
I thought this was going to be an animated series?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top