Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 11:58:55 AM EDT
Hey everyone, I dont know if this is the right place to post this, but Ive been looking into getting a relatively inexpensive bolt action that shoots cheap, but effective ammo for medium, long-range hunting (Deer, elk, etc.) (3-400yrds).

I know 8mm is not as ubiquitous as the .308, but what do you guys think of the 8mm Mausers? ive heard the action is sweet, and the ammo is cheap as dirt. im thinking of buying one for around $2-300, and getting like 3k of ammo just because. Should I do it or not?

What I want to know is:
How does 8mm holdup trajectory wise, like whats the drop at say 300yrds out of a 24 in barrel?
Whats the best mauser to get, should I settle on a Yugo or go for a German, whats the deal on these rifles?

thanks

Tac
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
They are very good rifles. They kick kinda hard, though IMO
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I would get a yugo,seem to be a good deal for the money right now,however you could probably get more info asking in the CandR section of the armory.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're gonna do it, get a German one while they're cheap.  Get your C&R license... for $300 and a little creative shopping, you can get a German AND a Yugo.

Trajectory will be closer to .30'06 than .308, and it will kick accordingly.  I should get a Mauser myself some day...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, Ill take it over there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got a yugo.  Shoots real nice.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What kind of groups you getting?
You think its neccessary to scope it or do irons work fine?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of groups you getting?
You think its neccessary to scope it or do irons work fine?

i dont own one, but a buddy i shoot with all the time does.

it's pretty accurate with irons, but it has the long range accuracy to make a scope a good investment.

the steel butt plate can be rough on the shoulder though
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
The trajectory is much worse than a .308 or .30-06, but recoil is considerably stouter. The cheap ammo is all corrosive and a PITA to clean up after. Good hunting ammo for the 8mm is fairly expensive. The sights suck and most Mausers are difficult to scope. However, the guns are very cheap.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#9]
You want some good ammo for the 8mm get into reloading. I have two German 98 models. One is a 42 model and the other is a 45 model. They both have pretty stout recoil. All Nazi markings on them. I think I seen some 98 models lately for sale that had been re barreled with a 30-06 barrel and a sporter black synthetic stock. These might be a better buy for hunting. Seems like they were a little over 200 dollars.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]
The cartridge is fine, but I wouldn't consider a surplus Mauser for shooting game at 300 yards. The sights really aren't that good. You'd be far better off with a 30/06 Savage from Wally World and a decent scope.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a 8mm Yugo M48a Mauser a couple years ago for less than 100 bucks from Coles.  Rifle was unshot as far as I could tell.  

Great rifle.  Can't remember how well it grouped (I'm sure pretty good, but I flinched like a sissy every time I shot it ), but I think it was pretty good.

8mm ammo is cheap.  But that damn thing kicked like a mule..........for us sissy's anyway.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I own and enjoy shooting a Yugo Mauser.  It is a fine rifle.

Sure, they kick a little, but if you are scared of recoil, get a .22.

Corrossive ammo is cheap and not too much trouble to clean up afterwards.

See this link:  www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu13.htm

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't jump on this to fast without thinking it thru.
If you are looking for a bolt gun to play with or tuck away as a cheep SHTF long range weapon,the mauser or some other C&R milsurp could be the ticket.
The cheep (and corrosive) milsurp ammo will not always be there for the 8mm.
If you go to wally world and buy some plain jane  new bolt gun in .308 or 30/06 you can get cheep type milsurp ammo,discount whitebox,or preimium hunting ammo at most any gunshop or discount outdoor store.
SHTF emergency type use aside,most folks aren't able to do much hunting past 100 or 150 yards with irons.
Some can with a quality weapon but most would not want to try with a old milsurp.
Any Wally World  gun with even a $45 package deal scope is going to be far more useable and if you save your pennys and replace that basic scope with a $200 or $300 high quality one you will really be in fat city.
As others have said most milsurps can be difficult to properly mount a scope on.You usually have to buy a custom or semi custom mount,pay a gunsmith to drill and tap, (not real simple with heat treated guns) and when you have the scope on it the stock is altogether the wrong shape for haveing your eye in the right place to spy thru the scope.
Don't compare the price of the milsurp to a new gun,match the price of a milsurp complete with scope,mount installed,possible new stock against the cost of a brand name used gun,likely already with a scope on it..
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The cartridge is fine, but I wouldn't consider a surplus Mauser for shooting game at 300 yards. The sights really aren't that good. You'd be far better off with a 30/06 Savage from Wally World and a decent scope.

This would be the best bet for a hunting rifle. My local Walmart is selling Mossberg Bolt Actions in 270 or 7mm Mag for $220.00
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The trajectory is much worse than a .308 or .30-06, but recoil is considerably stouter. The cheap ammo is all corrosive and a PITA to clean up after. Good hunting ammo for the 8mm is fairly expensive. The sights suck and most Mausers are difficult to scope. However, the guns are very cheap.

That is just about the most innacurate reply i've seen in a while. Cleaning after corrosive ammo isn't hard. Takes probably 2 minutes longer than normal cleaning. Soapy water or blackpowder cleaner works great.  I use the original WWII german cleaning kit(metal snake) and total cleaning takes me about 5 minutes. Thse things disassemble so easy a monkey could do it blindfolded. Locally 8mm soft nose stuff is only $2 more a box than 30 06. I like the iron sights, as accurate as I am. I had redfield scope rings mounted on one of mine for $35 so I don't know how that is difficult...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#16]
8MM Mausers are fantastic, cheap to shoot rifles.  Everyone should have one.

That said, for 200-300 yard hunting of elk and such, a Savage 30-06 really is a better way to go.  It’s already prepped for a scope, it has an easier to use safety, and it has a better trigger.

Scoping a Mauser involves drilling and tapping it, replacing the safety, and either lowering or replacing the bolt handle (or maybe mounting the scope very high, or along the left side of the receiver, or forward of the bolt [a la’ scout rifle].

Mil-spec 8MM ammo has ballistics that are very similar to the 30-06.   Assuming similarly shaped bullets of the same weight, the drop should be almost identical.  However, this ammo is typically full metal jacket and is not suitable for hunting.

OTOH, US commercial manufacturers make 8MM Mauser rounds with soft-point hunting type bullets, but use a much lighter powder charge (due to some specification issues with older Mausers), which reduces the round to very nearly 30-30 ballistics.

If you want to use a your rifle for hunting something like elk, you’ll need either to buy hot (and expensive and hard to find!) European-made Norma or RWS ammo loaded with hunting bullets - or you’ll need to reload.

So the correct answer, of course, is get both a Mauser and a Savage!  

Incidentally, if you’re looking for a really smooth working bolt action, forget the Mauser and get a Lee-Enfield!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Scoping a Mauser involves drilling and tapping it, replacing the safety, and either lowering or replacing the bolt handle (or maybe mounting the scope very high, or along the left side of the receiver, or forward of the bolt [a la’ scout rifle].

Drilling and tapping, yes. Replacing safety and lowering bolt handle no.  A light shave on both will be enough and once reblued you can hardly tell it wasn't "factory". Redfield made a higher ring setup just for the k98k. The scout mount on the rear sight would be the best option though if it is an original german rifle so it doesn't have to be bubba'd.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Nothing wrong wit ha k98 or m48, the early k98's (pre war) are better made in my opinion, either rifle will probably shoot high, about 10'' or so at 100 yards. You will probably want a trigger job done but you don't absolutely have to drill and tap the reciever, you could go with a mount that replaces the rear sight. I plan on getting the Iron elite mount. I reload so ammo isn't an issue but if I shoot surplus I just swab the bbl. with amonia and then oil, no prob. but now I want another one ,see what you did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top