BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2006 9:20:07 AM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,188337,00.html

U.S. Navy Exchanges Gunfire With Suspected Pirates off Somalia

Saturday , March 18, 2006

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Two U.S. Navy ships exchanged gunfire with suspected pirates Saturday off the coast of Somalia, and one suspect was killed and five others were wounded, the navy said.

The early morning gunbattle ensued after sailors spotted 30-foot fishing boat towing smaller skiffs and prepared for a routine boarding, said Lt. Cmdr. Charlie Brown, spokesman for the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet.

Passengers on the fishing boat then began shooting, and U.S. naval gunners returned fire with mounted machine guns.

Three suspects were seriously wounded and being treated on one of the Navy ships, Brown said.

Their nationalities were unknown.

No U.S. sailors were injured, the Navy said.

The Navy said the incident involving the USS Cape St. George and USS Gonzalez occurred at about 5:40 a.m. local time, approximately 25 nautical miles off the Somali coast in international waters.

The Cape St. George, a guided-missile cruiser, and Gonzalez, a guided-missile destroyer, were conducting maritime security operations in the area. They are based in Norfolk, Va.

On March 15, the U.N. Security Council encouraged naval forces operating off Somalia to take action against suspected piracy. Pirate attacks against aid ships have hindered U.N. efforts to provide relief to the victims of a severe drought in the area.

USS Cape St. George:

USS Gonzalez:
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, open fire on a warship with small arms.  Why not just point the gun at yourself and pull the trigger.   It'd be as effective.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#2]
why do we treat these people after events like this- they shoule light the boat on fire and set it afloat.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Git Some!

Only a moron would open fire on two US Navy Missile Cruisers with small arms......
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#4]
No $hit!  What were they thinking?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Git Some!

Only a moron would open fire on two US Navy Missile Cruisers with small arms......

I think you hit it right on the head..
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#6]
they should have just sunk the damn thing with them all on it, dumb fuckers...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
why do we treat these people after events like this- they shoule light the boat on fire and set it afloat.

Simple answer is: Practice! The more 'hands-on' the Corpsmen, Nurses, and Doctors can get in the treating of GSWs, the better they get at it..That way, if they have to ultimately treat our own troops, they'll be better at it.. Practice makes perfect....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#8]
None of our people were hurt that's all I care about.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Reminds me of the fool that tried to take out a Bradley with a bomb vest.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Boat in international waters without flag are pirate vessels under international law.

The navy should hang them from the highest yardam (or radar tower) and burn their boats.

The Barbary Wars
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I would fired a fuckin missile at them and send those retards to the bottom.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Waste a 100K missile on a worthless dhow? I doubt you'll pass your command at sea board.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Waste a 100K missile on a worthless dhow? I doubt you'll pass your command at sea board.

Like the other guy said pratice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure who's winning this race you or the pirates.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't there a gaint 5inch gun on the deck fire that thing at them then get on the loud speaker and scream take this.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, the survivors could probably provide info on where to find other pirates that are in the area....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't there a gaint 5inch gun on the deck fire that thing at them then get on the loud speaker and scream take this.

You're clearly in the lead now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well, the survivors could probably provide info on where to find other pirates that are in the area....

The hell you say!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd have hit them with multiple strategic nukes.

what do i win?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Personally I think we ought to turn the pirate-infested waters off Somalia into the new offical US Naval Gunnery Range.

It's a win-win situation. That part of the world is liberated of their scum, the shipping channels are safer, and we don't have to pollute or damage the ecosystem of any part of North America or Puerto Rico (where the current range is).

The UN would be grovelling with gratiitude - their aid ships are routinely hijacked and ransommed by Somali pirates.

And think of the savings to taxpayers - moving target drones at no cost! They even shoot back.

It's the just the perfect training deal.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Bad idea to trade fire with the USN.

Rick

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Bring back letters of Marque and Reprisal! I would LOVE to serve on a privateer....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Suspected Pirates off Somalia  =    

Go Navy, kick ass.    

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#24]
trading fire with a US Navy ship
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Announcer: "And this year the International Darwin Award for Stupidity goes to..... The Turd World Somali Pirates!"

Somali Pirate: "I would like to thank all of the little people who made this possible; Mohammed, My Imam, and last but certainly not least, the crews of the United States Navy Guided Missile Cruisers..."

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Bring back letters of Marque and Reprisal! I would LOVE to serve on a privateer....

+1.  That sounds like a fun way to test out international "diplomacy" after I graduate college, and the perfect way to save up for law school.  I call dibs on First Mate, Arrrgh.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what do i win?

id do it from orbit.

what do i win???
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what do i win?

id do it from orbit.

what do i win???

I don't know, but it would be the only way to be sure....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I find the "official story" hard to swallow.

Nobody would do that.....

Smells like shit to me
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Smells like shit to me

You apparently don't know Turd World terrorists very well do you?  Think "maritime suicide bomber".

ETA: without the bomb...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Smells like shit to me

Never ever underestimate the stupidity of man, especially khat chewing savages....That said, I bet they opened fire on the boarding party as they were transiting to the dhow rather than the ship itself.........
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smells like shit to me

Never ever underestimate the stupidity of man, especially khat chewing savages....That said, I bet they opened fire on the boarding party as they were transiting to the dhow rather than the ship itself.........

Given the actions of April 24th 2004, I think the official story holds up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Only a moron would open fire on two one Ticonderoga class US Navy Missile Cruisers and one Arleigh Burke Class destroyer with small arms......

Sorry, had to fix that.  Carry on......

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I find the "official story" hard to swallow...

yeah, you're right.

i bet the pirates won.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#35]
If they were smart they would have played dead like that old movie called the "Island"and then jump aboard and taken the ship over...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

Or, don't bring small arms to a naval battle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#37]
I think I would have tried the Seawiz out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

It's CIWS, Close-In Weapons System.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

Or, don't bring small arms to a naval battle.

My Arms are 18inchs around. The left one is 17.5 the right one is 18.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's CIWS, Close-In Weapons System.

Isn't that for extreme long range targets?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Where is the "Can ye smell it?" Pic when you need it
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Can the captains take the boats and arms as a prize?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Can the captains take the boats and arms as a prize?

We confiscated an Egyptian 9mm, an old Sten gun, and an AK. We turned them all over to the CPA. Of course, we were in Iraqi territorial waters at the time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Where is the "Can ye smell it?" Pic when you need it

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Got it saved now,thanks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Smells like shit to me

i suspect its jsut badly written... ie they were doing interdiction in the area with inflatable or something and the boarding parties exchanged fire. Though i doubt these neobarbs know what a cruiser is, from a disctance could look like cruise ship.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#47]
We need more Pirate pics...

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smells like shit to me

i suspect its jsut badly written... ie they were doing interdiction in the area with inflatable or something and the boarding parties exchanged fire. Though i doubt these neobarbs know what a cruiser is, from a disctance could look like cruise ship.

You're wrong. Read the story. Then go to the local, ie Hampton Roads news, and the .navy.mil news. The boarding party was preparing to board, but were still onboard their ships when the pirates opened fire.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Smells like shit to me

They didn't have very fast boats...in fact, the pirates were TOWING other vessels.  The US Navy ships CAUGHT them and then facing capture, the durka durka allah akbar suicide type had no choice but to fight or surrender.  

In the mudhut meeting rooms of the durka durkas, they are brainwashed into believeing they will have Lyndie England point at their incredibly small Mantool Package (tm) if they are ever captured and sent to Club Gitmo...because we all know Lyndie England (and they have current photos of this horrendous hagfish of a female) is serving her time at Gitmo as chief interrogator. [sarcasm] It has to be so, Howard Dean said so..[/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smells like shit to me

You're wrong. Read the story. Then go to the local, ie Hampton Roads news, and the .navy.mil news. The boarding party was preparing to board, but were still onboard their ships when the pirates opened fire.

hmm your right.
Maybe they were more then simple pirates...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top