Posted: 3/18/2006 7:07:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought it had already won by an un-vetoable margin. I hope I'm right. Seems I read that the state assembly doesn't have to allow her veto to stand...if she vetos it.

I'd take the advice from the KS CCW board, call the Governers office and politely ask that she sign it into law!!!

Break a leg!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Even a Kansas City Star Liberal wrote an article yesterday supporting CCW in Kansas.  Not because she likes guns, but because it's not worth the fight.  She even admits that the blood has not run in the streets in MO since passage of their CCW law!

I think the estimate of initial CCW applicants (20,000) is going to be way low.  They're not counting the silent masses who haven't spoken up for years because we've been screwed over and over again.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are a crab, and, you see the boiling water, I'd hope
you'd vote to keep yourself out.

Hey...States rights!  Will of the people!(for the benefit of those always yelling it)

I hope they choose wisely, but, hey...Thier choice.

At least it's put to a referendum.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#6]
good luck guys! break the chains of sheepdom!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#7]
What a commie WHORE

TOPEKA, Kan. – Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, saying the measure would have made law enforcement officers' jobs more difficult, vetoed a bill Friday to allow Kansans to carry concealed handguns.

The bill would have required the attorney general's office to issue a concealed-carry permit to any Kansan 21 or older who is a U.S. citizen, pays a $150 application fee, has no mental illness or drug or alcohol addiction and completes eight hours of training.

In her veto message, Sebelius, a Democrat elected in 2002, said if the bill had become law, "Police officers, highway patrolmen, sheriffs, and deputies in Kansas would be forced to assume that any person they stop could have a firearm."

"This would make their already dangerous job even more difficult," she said.

Legislators could override Sebelius' veto with two-thirds majorities in both chambers, but the bill passed in the House on a 78-45 vote, leaving supporters six votes short of the number needed to override.

Earlier this week, Rep. L. Candy Ruff, a primary sponsor of the measure, said she did not expect an attempt to override a veto.

The legislation would have prohibited concealed handguns in schools, city halls, courthouses and most state office buildings but would have allowed them in the Statehouse, school parking lots and restaurants that serve alcohol.

Supporters of the bill said its passage would permit Kansans, particularly women, to protect themselves.

In her veto message, Sebelius said she supports Kansans' right to own firearms but did not believe a broad concealed-carry law would make Kansans safer.

Thirty-seven states have laws that require officials to issue concealed-carry permits to qualified applicants, and nine others have laws that give officials some discretion over whether someone gets a permit. Only Kansas, Illinois, Nebraska and Wisconsin lack a law allowing some form of concealed carrying of guns.

For Kansas, it was the second such veto in recent years. Legislators approved a concealed-carry bill in 1997, but then-Gov. Bill Graves, a Republican, vetoed it, saying it would result in more accidental shootings.

© 2004 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Just enough to justify the Republican re-election promises, and just enough to justify the Democrat re-election promises.

Once again, the people of Kansas get played like a fiddle, but the only ones dancing are the politicians.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Will we have enough votes to override?he
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys need some help from Missouri voters again?  I'm just 1 county away.  

No really, it will pass, this year or the next.  Don't lose heart!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#11]
"In her veto message, Sebelius, a Democrat elected in 2002, said if the bill had become law, "Police officers, highway patrolmen, sheriffs, and deputies in Kansas would be forced to assume that any person they stop could have a firearm."

Is she kidding?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
"In her veto message, Sebelius, a Democrat elected in 2002, said if the bill had become law, "Police officers, highway patrolmen, sheriffs, and deputies in Kansas would be forced to assume that any person they stop could have a firearm."

Is she kidding?

If they do not already assume that, then their training has been severely lacking.

She just looked the People straight in the eye and said "The sky is purple and grass is silver."  She used a justification that has no connection with reality.

What a sad day.  She would have been better off to just leave it alone.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Senate overrides veto on gun bill
CARL MANNING
Associated Press

TOPEKA, Kan. - Kansas moved closer Wednesday to allowing residents to carry concealed guns after the Senate overrode Gov. Kathleen Sebelius' veto of a gun bill.

The vote was 30-10, giving supporters of the measure three votes above the two-thirds majority necessary. The House is expected to vote Thursday, and supporters will need 84 votes there.

Kansas is one of only four states that don't allow some residents to carry hidden weapons.

If the bill's backers succeed in the House, Sebelius will be the first governor in 12 years to have a veto overridden.

Sebelius cited opposition from law enforcement officials and business leaders Tuesday in rejecting a bill that would allow U.S. citizens over 21 living in Kansas to obtain four-year permits from their local sheriffs. The legislation still would ban hidden guns in some locations, such as churches, libraries, schools and courthouses.

But sponsoring Sen. Phil Journey, R-Haysville, said the measure was about giving Kansans the right to defend themselves.

Illinois, Nebraska and Wisconsin are the only other states that don't allow at least some residents to carry concealed guns. Eight states let law enforcement agencies reject permits for individuals who would otherwise qualify. In 35 states, permits must be issued if all requirements are met. Alaska and Vermont have no prohibitions for carrying concealed weapons.

Sebelius also vetoed a nearly identical bill in 2004, as did her predecessor, Republican Bill Graves, in 1997.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Senate overrides veto on gun bill
CARL MANNING
Associated Press

TOPEKA, Kan. - Kansas moved closer Wednesday to allowing residents to carry concealed guns after the Senate overrode Gov. Kathleen Sebelius' veto of a gun bill.

The vote was 30-10, giving supporters of the measure three votes above the two-thirds majority necessary. The House is expected to vote Thursday, and supporters will need 84 votes there.

Kansas is one of only four states that don't allow some residents to carry hidden weapons.

If the bill's backers succeed in the House, Sebelius will be the first governor in 12 years to have a veto overridden.

Sebelius cited opposition from law enforcement officials and business leaders Tuesday in rejecting a bill that would allow U.S. citizens over 21 living in Kansas to obtain four-year permits from their local sheriffs. The legislation still would ban hidden guns in some locations, such as churches, libraries, schools and courthouses.

But sponsoring Sen. Phil Journey, R-Haysville, said the measure was about giving Kansans the right to defend themselves.

Illinois, Nebraska and Wisconsin are the only other states that don't allow at least some residents to carry concealed guns. Eight states let law enforcement agencies reject permits for individuals who would otherwise qualify. In 35 states, permits must be issued if all requirements are met. Alaska and Vermont have no prohibitions for carrying concealed weapons.

Sebelius also vetoed a nearly identical bill in 2004, as did her predecessor, Republican Bill Graves, in 1997.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#15]
The house will get it soon (maybe tomorrow?).  

I have put together the contact info for the reps and how they voted in the files below.  Please contact them and tell them what you think:

Excel file with House email addresses and how they voted:
www.chairman.ms11.net/ks/SB418_house.xls

Same info, but in .pdf format for those without MS Excel:
www.chairman.ms11.net/ks/SB418_house.pdf

BTW:  I'm moving to KS in a month, so I care!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Holy Crap, this might actually work this time.

/anxious
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

BTW:  I'm moving to KS in a month, so I care!

Are you insane?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Fingers and toes crossed........it would be yet another victory toward the ultimate end of true 2nd Am. freedom.....Good luck, KS!!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Welcome aboard!

Kansas House overrides gun veto; concealed carry to become law

Story by AP Wire

10:58 a.m. Thursday, March 23, 2006

Kansans will be allowed to carry concealed guns after the House today overrode Governor Sebelius' veto of a gun bill, making it law.

The vote was 91-33, giving supporters of the measure seven votes more than the two-thirds majority necessary.

The Senate voted Wednesday night to override the veto, 30-10, three votes more than needed.

The new law takes effect July 1. It will allow U.S. citizens 21 and older living in Kansas to obtain a four-year concealed-carry permit from their local sheriffs. Hidden weapons still will be banned in some places, including schools, churches, libraries and courthouses.

Legislators' action capped a decade-long debate, which saw Kansas remain part of an ever-dwindling group of states that didn't allow residents to carry hidden weapons.

Sebelius became the first governor to have a veto overridden in

12 years. She vetoed a similar bill in 2004, as her predecessor,

Republican Bill Graves did in 1997.

Stay tuned to 49 News at 6 and 10 for a detailed report on this story.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Holy crap!

We made it!

I'm stunned!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:44:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Holy crap!

We made it!

I'm stunned!

Get crackin' so you can start packin' !
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:59:33 AM EDT
[#22]
"Thirty-seven states have laws that require officials to issue concealed-carry permits to qualified applicants, and nine others have laws that give officials some discretion over whether someone gets a permit. Only Kansas, Illinois, Nebraska and Wisconsin lack a law allowing some form of concealed carrying of guns."

Great I live in one of the last three, how depressing.  What about Cali? You can carry concealed there?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:03:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
"Thirty-seven states have laws that require officials to issue concealed-carry permits to qualified applicants, and nine others have laws that give officials some discretion over whether someone gets a permit. Only Kansas, Illinois, Nebraska and Wisconsin lack a law allowing some form of concealed carrying of guns."

Great I live in one of the last three, how depressing.  What about Cali? You can carry concealed there?

If you're rich and famous....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Kansans can apply starting 7/1/06 and permits will be issued starting 1/1/07.  The local popo (who will be doing the permits) are NOT happy about this law passing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Kansans can apply starting 7/1/06 and permits will be issued starting 1/1/07.  The local popo (who will be doing the permits) are NOT happy about this law passing.

Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Are they not happy because they are against the bill or are they complaining about the effort and enforcement involved in issuing licenses, or both?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are they not happy because they are against the bill or are they complaining about the effort and enforcement involved in issuing licenses, or both?

probably because they just lost one of the reasons why they are better than the "civilians."   now the common folk can carry guns
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top