Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2006 6:52:08 PM EDT
I was issued a master key today.  If I lose it, it'll cost $25,000 to change all the locks in the building.  I wondered, there must be a demand for some kind of beacon or finder to attach to a key that you can't afford to lose.  I'm just asking here before I look on Google, since I'm sure SOMEONE here must be in the same sort of position, or were in the same sort of position.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
your situation reminds me of a product that serves another market, but may be useful to you

do a google search for "laptop proximity alarm" and see if that line of products will work.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Get some spares made
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it's called a lanyard. It's a loop of material that goes around the neck, usually with a hook on the end for retaining something, usually of value.

Also refered to as a leash, or less often, a noose.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get some spares made

Even if the key's lost and a spare is made, there is a problem: someone out there might get the key, and thus have access to a lot of very sensitive information.  Info that if it should get out, would prompt de-accredidation and thus the way to pay the bills.  The problem isn't that the key is irreplaceable, of course it is.  The problem is someone know no one knows might have it.  And thus, to be safe and assuage the accredidation people, all the locks would have to be changed at considerable expense.

I'd hate to be that guy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Should have gotten electronic locks instead.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]
The sort of device you're asking about has been around for quite sometime now.

This is just one Google hit...

www.carlaking.com/techwriting/techarticles/gadget_mini_reviews.html

Zytool Key Seeker Multi-Tool with Blue LED and Memo Recorder

This is not just the "Clapper" on a key chain, but if your keys are lost, applause will inspire this multi-function key ring to beep until it is found. And its list of tricks goes on. When you park your car, set the Zytool's timer to time the parking meter--up to 2 hours--and even note your location using its 20 second digital voice recorder.

In the dark, a blue LED (lighted electronic display) lets you illuminate dark keyholes or study maps, plus you'll look like the ultimate girl scout with the set of 3 fold-out screwdrivers--a flat-head with file, a Phillips, and a tiny one for your eyeglasses.
($59.95, http://www.sharperimage.com/)
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a hint.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The sort of device you're asking about has been around for quite sometime now.

This is just one Google hit...

www.carlaking.com/techwriting/techarticles/gadget_mini_reviews.html

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Duct Tape it to your wang.

You will know where it's at at all times.  You will distinctly remember each and every time you hand to remove it to unlock a door.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#11]
For prevention: I use a key hook on my belt called Okay's key safe. You have to thread your belt through it and it is extremely secure. In 15+ years I have had it lose control of the keys once while crawling under a house and rolling on it which released them. Also, you don't want to catch your shirt when you snap it in.

Otherwise, I don't know a more secure or convenient way to carry keys.

Found a link.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks arlis
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmm, the Squids at the sickbay back at LeJeune used to keep the meds locker key on a 5 foot section of two inch chain... cause guys kept losing the key.

If that's too much for you, then I suggest connecting it to something that you KNOW you will have on you....like your cell phone. Misplace your cell...call it from another phone. no additional purchase required.

BTW...I'd HATE to have a $25K key on me.... although when I did security, I was in charge of key control for an apartment building, the real "master key" was in an electronic lock and monitored by the fire alarm system, you had to have a key to access the key, but it was not as critical as the master key wa mounted in the electronic box at the 24 hour manned security desk.

No Expert
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top